My avatar is floating green particles (Won't load)

Witching

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've googled and tried everything, it started happening out of nowhere I've never had this problem before. I've cleared cache, clean installed among many other things but nothing will fix it. There's nothing wrong with my connection or computer, both are ideal.

http://i.imgur.com/313gBki.png < this is what my avatar looks like. any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

5 answers to this question

Wear a different shape.

Seriously.  99% of the time this fixes the problem.

There are 4 things you must wear to be rendered in SL. Shape, skin, eyes and hair base.  Those can never be removed, only replaced.  Even if you have a full alpha such that skin hair and eyes are all completely hidden you still must have valid parts for SL to work.  When one of these 4 becomes corrupt or missing, you stay a cloud..  Of those 4 the thing that most commonly the problem is the shape.  Change that first.

If you are still a cloud, replace each of the other 3. 

• Like 1

And if changing one of those four basic elements doesn't fix things, suspect your Internet connection. Your avatar appearance files may be getting corrupted during download from the SL servers, so reboot both your router and your modem.  Avoid using a wireless connection if at all possible.  Linden Lab neither supports nor recommends wifi.

• Like 1

So far the answers given are the most likely fixes.

However, this problem is almost always a connection issue. Having a good general Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. Test that specific connection. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Rolig gave you the basic connection troubleshooting steps. If the problem persists, try testing your connection tot he SL servers.

For your particular problem clearing your cache makes things worse. Bad move.

Clearing cache is done when one suspects files in the cache have corrupted. That is pretty much a thing of the past. Old timers that have not kept up with tech often mistakenly recommend clearing the cache. In their day it was the first troubleshooting step. Now it is the last and even then not recommended unless there is a KNOWN file corruption issue.

The Bake Fail process on the Firestorm Wiki suggested is great information. But, it too may fail if there is a connection issue. So, do the easy stuff first. But, test your connection to SL servers before doing anything drastic or time consuming.

Good luck

PS: I just realized... one of the quick steps for this problem is to wear the Test Male/Female avatar. If it renders, the problem is with something your avatar is wearing. So, put on the Test Male/Female avatar then rebuild your outfit an item at a time to fine the problem item.

Top menu: Develop (Ctrl-Alt-Q to open if not showing)->Avatar->Character Tests->Test Male or Test Female

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.