And Now We Can See Who Our Stalkers Are

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Ashlyn Gedales said:

I know this is a late question to this thread, but does this apply to when we are "in world"? If I'm looking at someone's profile in world, will they know or is this only on the forums?

Nobody knows if you're perving their in-world profile. Only the new forum offers that.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

5 hours ago, Ashlyn Gedales said:

I know this is a late question to this thread, but does this apply to when we are "in world"? If I'm looking at someone's profile in world, will they know or is this only on the forums?

It's only a forum feature. You can look at someone's profile inworld and no one will know.

Though on the above stuff on disabling it, that only disables you from seeing who visits your profile. Having it disabled doesn't stop you appearing on other people's profile lists. I'd like to see a feature where we can go invisible, as I often end up revisiting pages to reread them. This applies both to profiles and it showing everyone which thread a person is reading. People do tend to assume stalker before they assume dyslexic person who tends to reread things many times to be sure it was read correctly. I'm not out to get you. I'm just not going to take in what you've written on a first read. And I don't like being placed in a position where I have to explain it to people, because they can see exactly what I'm doing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ashlyn Gedales said:

I hope its not in world. So many profiles say "What are you doing here stalker?" I'm sure i'd get harassed by at least some of them.

Oh, and if a profile does say that, hell would have to freeze over before i'd actually IM them. I stay away from drama queens that advertise on their profiles.

*smiles*

• Like 2

I had a friend in second life early on..She had such a way with words,mixing humor with a positive spin on things all the time, that could make me laugh at the worst times..

I remember this one thing  that stuck with me that had me laughing so hard when I was pretty mad at the time..

She said Ceka, We are strong beautiful women..We deserve to have our own stalker..

hehehehe

She was such a fun ,happy person.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2017 at 6:27 AM, Polenth Yue said:

People do tend to assume stalker before they assume dyslexic person who tends to reread things many times to be sure it was read correctly. I'm not out to get you. I'm just not going to take in what you've written on a first read. And I don't like being placed in a position where I have to explain it to people, because they can see exactly what I'm doing.

I have different problems than dyslexia but I do that sort of thing too. It's just trying to increase the chances that I'm understanding what people are saying. It's me trying to give the conversation my best, but if it's observed it tends to be twisted around to be the opposite. Even worse is how hard it often is to change that impression once it's lodged in someone's mind. :|

• Like 1

This particular thing is only for the forums profiles.

There may be ways to know who's been stalking your in-world profile, too... or, rather, long ago there used to be, but I have no idea whether that particular trickery may have been disabled since then. Perhaps somebody who knows what they're talking about will update with more recent information.

42 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

There may be ways to know who's been stalking your in-world profile, too... or, rather, long ago there used to be, but I have no idea whether that particular trickery may have been disabled since then. Perhaps somebody who knows what they're talking about will update with more recent information.

This was fixed years ago.
It was so long ago now I can't actually remember how that trick worked but it was a "bug" in Emerald viewer.  It was possible for you to see who was looking at your legacy profile if the looker was using Emerald viewer & several "profile perver" HUDs popped up on the Marketplace.  It was fixed pretty quickly.
As far as I know, there is no way to see who is currently reading your legacy or web profile in a viewer now & there hasn't been for years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if people could tell who was looking at their profiles inworld now, it would finally put a stop to my living in the past and profile perving people that used to be in my life.  Just because a relationship/friendship ends, doesn't mean the love you had for them does and I have a horrible habit of watching from afar as they move on with their lives, find happiness, etc.  It's a seriously horrible way of punishing myself for all the things I feel I did wrong, but, at the same time I find some happiness that they were able to be happy again, even without me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 4:37 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Both fora and forums are the plural of forum.  Technically fora is specific to the old Roman forums or political plazas.  But it sounds cool and it a bit fun anachronism to apply to computer forums so it is often used as well.  Either is ok in common usage. 

Love it ty!. I am an official government "scribe" in RL. *adjusts toga and dips my quill... now where were we?

• Like 2

For a reason that there's no need to explain, I recently find that I sometimes need to use IE11. But IE 11 won't do everything in this forum. For instance, there is no way to quote a post, or part of a post. The 'quote' button doesn't show and neither does the little 'quote' floater after selecting a piece of a post. Other things are missing too.

I first saw this the other day soon after I'd been a bit hard on Xiola Linden in the SL birthday thread. I didn't know about the IE11 problems then, and I wondered if I'd changed a setting, so I looked at my profile and saw that Xiola has also looked at it. She was the last one to look. That made me wonder if she had disabled bits of the forum for me, but it turned out to be a problem with IE11 and this forum software.

It made me smile though. I could imagine her thinking, "Who is this guy?", and having a look in my profile to see if I've got any negative judgements against me :) There aren't any, but Xiola is now one of my stalkers :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.