Is this normal for second life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 24/03/2017 at 10:09 AM, Nalytha said:

I live in a residential sim and would be thrilled to login to see someone in my house. It would break the monotony. In my 'About Land,' I even make it clear that anyone is welcome inside. 

We should make up a party and come visited you :)

• Like 1

As I started scrolling through this thread, I began thinking back over my own experiences with griefers during the past ten years.  It struck me that I haven't seen one in ages.  They obviously didn't disappear -- you (Emmy) certainly didn't have any trouble finding them -- but somehow they have slipped off my radar.  I figure that it must be me.  Specifically:

1. I haven't been to a sandbox in years.  I do all my creative work on my own land, and most of it at high altitude.

2. I hang out with a group of close friends, some of whom have been here as long as I have, and we tend to spend our time in familiar places that don't tend to attract a lot of casual traffic.

3. I have learned Mr. Myagi's #1 rule: "Best defense -- not be there."  If I don't like the place I've wandered into, I TP away.  I just hit the HOME icon in my viewer and I'm back on safe ground.

4. I don't bother responding to morons who are trying to start a drama.  I just act as if I didn't hear or see a thing.  I figure it's harder for a bully to pick a fight with someone who obviously doesn't care.

5. And I don't care.  I know I can't be hurt physically, and I'm not easily intimidated.  I have also taken reasonable precautions to keep my RL and my SL separate, so intimidation can't follow me into RL.

6. I know how to protect my own land, to the extent that I -- like Klytyna -- really don't worry about whether people wander in unannounced.  I've never bothered with ban lines or a security orb. 

My definition of a "griefer" has changed a lot since 2007.  At this point, I don't count the run-of-the-mill boors and sophomoric pranksters as griefers, so that leaves very few serious evildoers for me to watch out for.  And, as I said, I haven't seen one of them for a long time.

I guess this all boils down to a simple bit of advice, Emmy: Hang in there, develop your SL street smarts, and relax.  You've moved to a new country, so it will take a little while to learn the language and customs of the natives.  Most of us are good, honest friendly people.  Don't let a few jerks get you down.

EDIT:  Oh yeah ... don't run if you see Maddy coming.  Her propane repertoire is a blast.  xD

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 7

I really have only one insight; pick friends from a venue where you know their track record.

Like *this* one (forum) for example :-)  Here in this thread, you've seen a lot of good advice from really great *people* who care more than the average avatar. You can see a particular form user's previous postings, and that will tell you a lot about what kind of friend they'll make. Then; say hello :-)

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

I really have only one insight; pick friends from a venue where you know their track record.

Like *this* one (forum) for example :-)  Here in this thread, you've seen a lot of good advice from really great *people* who care more than the average avatar. You can see a particular form user's previous postings, and that will tell you a lot about what kind of friend they'll make. Then; say hello :-)

giphy.gif

Pretty much every friend I have in SL I met in this or the old SL Exchange forum.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As I started scrolling through this thread, I began thinking back over my own experiences with griefers during the past ten years.  It struck me that I haven't seen one in ages.  They obviously didn't disappear -- you (Emmy) certainly didn't have any trouble finding them -- but somehow they have slipped off my radar.  I figure that it must be me.  Specifically:

1. I haven't been to a sandbox in years.  I do all my creative work on my own land, and most of it at high altitude.

2. I hang out with a group of close friends, some of whom have been here as long as I have, and we tend to spend our time in familiar places that don't tend to attract a lot of casual traffic.

3. I have learned Mr. Myagi's #1 rule: "Best defense -- not be there."  If I don't like the place I've wandered into, I TP away.  I just hit the HOME icon in my viewer and I'm back on safe ground.

4. I don't bother responding to morons who are trying to start a drama.  I just act as if I didn't hear or see a thing.  I figure it's harder for a bully to pick a fight with someone who obviously doesn't care.

5. And I don't care.  I know I can't be hurt physically, and I'm not easily intimidated.  I have also taken reasonable precautions to keep my RL and my SL separate, so intimidation can't follow me into RL.

6. I know how to protect my own land, to the extent that I -- like Klytyna -- really don't worry about whether people wander in unannounced.  I've never bothered with ban lines or a security orb. 

My definition of a "griefer" has changed a lot since 2007.  At this point, I don't count the run-of-the-mill boors and sophomoric pranksters as griefers, so that leaves very few serious evildoers for me to watch out for.  And, as I said, I haven't seen one of them for a long time.

I guess this all boils down to a simple bit of advice, Emmy: Hang in there, develop your SL street smarts, and relax.  You've moved to a new country, so it will take a little while to learn the language and customs of the natives.  Most of us are good, honest friendly people.  Don't let a few jerks get you down.

EDIT:  Oh yeah ... don't run if you see Maddy coming.  Her propane repertoire is a blast.  xD

Should be engraved somewhere. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You got me wondering, Rolig.

Years ago I attended a UW-Milwaukee Science Bag lecture in which the professor ignited balloons filled with hydrogen/oxygen and pure propane. The hydrogen balloon went "bang" with a bright flash of light, while the propane balloon went "whoosh" with a beautiful lazy blue and yellow flame. At the time, I chalked up the bang to the premixing of H2 and O2. In the propane balloon, the gas had to flow into the surrounding room air to obtain O2 for combustion.

There is a thing called "laminar flame speed" which measures the propagation rate of a flame front in a mix of fuel and oxidizer. I just Googled that and found this page...

http://ignis.usc.edu/Mechanisms/USC-Mech II/laminar flame speed.htm

And from that page, I get these two neat graphs:

Here's Hydrogen-Air (and air equivalents where N2 is replaced by Ar or He), at various mix ratios...

image002.jpg

And here's Propane-Air at various mix ratios...

image001.gif

It's not surprising that H2, being the tiniest possible molecule (2g/mole), oxidizes faster than big 'ol propane (44g/mole), but you could easily outrun both flame fronts. Of course things change if the propane is released from the tank of my torch (140psi at room temp) rather than a balloon, but I think you could still outrun the flame front if you were more than a few meters from the blast.

So then the question becomes... can you outrun me?

And if the answer to that is yes, then the question becomes... can you outrun a thrown torch?

;-).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's not surprising that H2, being the tiniest possible molecule (2g/mole), oxidizes faster than big 'ol propane (44g/mole), but you could easily outrun both flame fronts. Of course things change if the propane is released from the tank of my torch (140psi at room temp) rather than a balloon, but I think you could still outrun the flame front if you were more than a few meters from the blast.

Edited by Pamela Galli
Never mind, I can't add my emoji here for some reason. Picture a blank look.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

With the danger of being accused of floccinaucinihilipilification, shouldn't that be methane rather than propane? Sometimes every atom matters.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:45 PM, EmmyDammitEverythingIsTaken said:

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if this kind of thing is normal for second life...

I've been on second life for 14 days now. All I've been doing for the past two weeks is reading about how second life works and trying to get my avatar as nice as I can. I was just at the Da Vinci gardens and was on the marketplace looking for rings when my avatar starts flying around the sim. This I've seen way too many times already, so I figured it was some idiot and tp'd away. Then I get an IM,

[18:08] <Removed>: NOT your first avi! exposed on the blogs! Liar!

So now I know who started throwing me around. This is seriously doing my head in. I've had to change my profile to say how to search google to find out how to do things in second life just to show dressing yourself isn't difficult. I am being attacked and attacked and attacked some more and why, because I'm not a moron?? There is so much info out there on second life it's hard not to find what you are looking for in a few minutes.

Each day I want to use second life less and less. To me it's nothing more than the sims mixed with a chatroom. I get that it's more serious to other people but seriously, what is with these lunatics? They are everywhere!

Normally if I got harassed this much on something else, I'd just quit and move onto the next thing but I've already put a good bit of money into this thing. I've bought myself nice avatar parts, all mesh with the moving face and hands. I don't think it looks fantastic, I've mostly copied what I've seen in the stores advertising pictures.

This is really becoming a really horrible experience for me and I've barely started exploring. I have about 3 sims I go to (no adult sims), other than going to those places I sit on the market place and throw money away. 

Does this happen to other people or is it just me? Should I just just cut my losses and abandon sl? Or maybe wait a year and come so my nice shiny new bits are nice and out of date? I mean what do people normally do?

I admit I don't have a thick skin and sl might not be the place for me, I can't take what feels like a constant stream of abuse. I just asked the friend who introduced me sl what I should do or if there is anything I can do and she doesn't know, so I'm asking you.

Can anyone give me advice?

Hi there I was just reading  your little story on what was going on with you I understand exactly what you r going though I will not say it happen to me before but i do understand. Me and my hubby have been going though alot of drama in sl to mostly cause by other people, and sometime  we get stuck in the middle of it , we love hanging out with eachother but the drama we can't handle it, we where this close to actually leaving sl but that's the only place we can hang out with eachother and spend time with each other we even try blocking them , and when we do block them more drama up rises and usually I know what to do but this time I dont, but yea it could be the ppl or us idk, but any ways I hope your situation do work out for u and what not 

I just felt like I had to reply to this post. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.