Search for Survivors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Cute, though.

Oh, she's cute alright. Absolutely adorable, in fact, in a sort of "Of-course-this-teleport-I'm-offering-you-won't-set-you-down-in-the-midst-of-a-blazing-brazier" kind of way.

She's also terrifying, in a way, because she's probably the most perceptive person I've ever known here, and she can see right through me . . .

Thank god she's gentle. Even when she's trying to immolate me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hi Dillon! I was wondering why you weren't around here when I dropped by earlier! :)

I don't know the book, but I think I've seen it advertised on the subway here. I will check it out (even if it's not "chicklit" -- I've decided to try expanding my library to books that don't end in marriage or feature slightly crazed but lovable bff characters! 9_9). I'm always looking for really effective and affecting articulations of feminism, LGBTQ and Trans-positive thinking, or perspectives on POC in literature because they can be really powerful teaching tools. It's not hard to explain social justice in logical or polemical terms, but I've always believed that literature can be an especially effective supplement because they engage the empathetic imagination: they help us see things differently through consciousness and experiences that are not our own. They humanize abstractions. I think that's what makes them pleasurable in a way that theoretical arguments and tables of stats never can be (as useful as those are as well).

You are well, I hope? Have you been helping Snugs keep Maddy out of trouble?

1. There aren't any.

2. Empathetic is an inappropriate and meaningless vulgarism.

3. And the phrase is a redundant tautology of pleonasm.  Like the first enboldened example, (evocative would suffice). Empathy is imagination.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

How do we know you weren't lurking in the old one?

He was. I could tell, I'm psychic that way. 'Course, he didn't lurk a lot, because he was really busy taking pictures for the Feed, of him looking all suave and stuff with some gorgeouso lady while he boldly explored new worlds.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.