mesh body why are they popular ?

Quinn Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I play at it off and on so its not a year of work. I get the bug to change but I can't thank of Teagan going away, and that is what a mesh avatar will do.

I have seen it said in forums that to make the line around your neck go away the only thing you can do is get a mesh head, no, not going there.

If there are no feet, and I can't use all my slink shoes, then, no. And I don't have slink feet but another brand, and they work perfectly.

If it does not come with hands, then, no.

And my skin is old, its a good skin from a good store but its so old I can't even look it up, its gone, so no appliers, so all new skins to go mesh.

The only good part is that I like my avatar, and for me changing to a mesh avatar is not a priority or a necessity, and as it stands right now, not even a possibility. But I'll keep looking at and getting the demo of several that I think I may like, who knows, maybe some day.

And Chase01, thanks for the offer to help, but I'll pass for now, thanks.

Teagan, I get what you're saying. It just sounds like you're just not willing to make change. I can respect that you want to stick it out with you're current avatar and there is nothing wrong with that.

For the others that might read this thread at a later date I did want to address a few of those points. If you're looking at a body by Maitreya—the feet and hands come with the body. Maitreya even went as far as offering Bento hands for free as an update. Regarding the feet, I have had no issues finding shoes whatsoever and in some of those more rare cases that I stumble onto an older listing that only offers SLINK support—well I can typically find something very comparable as an alternative.

SLINK offers the body itself at a discounted price because they realize that many of us (including myself) already had their feet and hands. I appreciate the fact that they did that. They could have made improvements to it and then offered it at a similar price point to some of their competitors (i.e. Maitreya).

Change is not the issue.

And the Maitreya that you mention does not even make it to the list of what I demo. And that is part of the problem. The clothing industry is a disaster right now, if you don't own “the right” mesh avatar its harder to get clothing for your mesh avatar than it is for a “Classic” avatar.

I really feel sorry for the creators today, every avatar needs its own specially made pieces of clothing, and I have yet to see one piece of clothing that has a special copy for every mesh avatar on the market. But I have found my classic avatar can wear clothes for several of the mesh avatars, cloths that are not made for the classic avatar, so for clothing I'm better off staying with the classic avatar, I have more clothing available than some of the mesh avatars.

But for me one of my biggest problems is the cost, because its not the avatar, its all the new clothing, new skins, new mesh parts, new mesh head {to get rid of the gallows marks around my neck}, replace all my makeup and on and on, as in, start over. And I have 70K reasons not to do that. No, its not change, its one, the cost, and two, just starting over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Change is not the issue.

And the Maitreya that you mention does not even make it to the list of what I demo. And that is part of the problem. The clothing industry is a disaster right now, if you don't own “the right” mesh avatar its harder to get clothing for your mesh avatar than it is for a “Classic” avatar.

Okay, let's be honest. If you've been "experimenting with mesh bodies for a year" and "haven't demo'd Maitreya" you simply don't want to wear a mesh body. Maitreya has had over half the market for as long as you've been "trying"; a fair number of clothing makers only make for Maitreya for now. It's basically universal. You remind me of the people a few years ago who said that "mesh clothing is terrible" based only on a handful of freebies they tried at the start.

You can do anything you like, but don't try to make it look like you're making a decision based on a rational process and testing if you aren't.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Okay, let's be honest. If you've been "experimenting with mesh bodies for a year" and "haven't demo'd Maitreya" you simply don't want to wear a mesh body. Maitreya has had over half the market for as long as you've been "trying"; a fair number of clothing makers only make for Maitreya for now. It's basically universal. You remind me of the people a few years ago who said that "mesh clothing is terrible" based only on a handful of freebies they tried at the start.

You can do anything you like, but don't try to make it look like you're making a decision based on a rational process and testing if you aren't.

So because I don't demo the one you like, I'm not being rational. That does not sound like a rational statement to me. And the fact is that I am testing the ones that I think I may like, just not your favorite mesh avatar. Do you own part of Maitreya?

11 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I really feel sorry for the creators today, every avatar needs its own specially made pieces of clothing

Most clothing in traditional sizes can be made to fit a normal mesh body, by adjusting your shape and the mesh body alpha cuts. Just as you usually need to do with a classic body. I haven't counted but I think most of the clothes I regularly wear on my Maitreya body were not made specially for it.

Edited by angeoco

25 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

So because I don't demo the one you like, I'm not being rational. That does not sound like a rational statement to me. And the fact is that I am testing the ones that I think I may like, just not your favorite mesh avatar. Do you own part of Maitreya?

Actually I don't care for the Maitreya body - I think their hip modeling makes most shapes look too long-waisted. I know that because I've tried the demo for the body that anyone who actually made an honest attempt to learn about mesh bodies and the mesh body market within the last year would immediately discover is by far the most popular body.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/2016surveyresults/

The thing is, you don't need to try a demo for something you don't like. I have used the mesh body addicts web page extensively, they show you all the facts and even graph it out for you, big help. Then you can watch YouTube and get a good look at how others use the body, look at all the photos in this and other forums, then if you see one and think, I like that, then get the demo, if you don't like it, why bother getting the demo.

And I keep forgetting, I do have a mesh avatar, I got her back in 2012 for 300L, and not a headless handless footless almost an avatar but an avatar with even an alpha HUD that even came with some clothing. I just don't spend any money on her, and I don't ever see her mentioned in places like mesh addicts, so she is just a curiosity to me. And the avatar was recently updated to bento and I think fitmesh too, and all for free. Because I don't spend any money on her she stays hidden away and mostly forgotten until something like this happens to remind me I have her. And she came out long before most of the mesh avatars on the stage now, so what took you all so long?

And part of what keeps me from going to what I'll call new mesh avatars is the fact that if I get one it will most likely end up just like the one I bought back in 2012, sitting in my inventory while my classic avatar goes out to play.

You're right, not every clothing creator supports every mesh body on the market, BUT many do support the most popular mesh bodies and offer rigged versions for those bodies in one package. You don't have to like Maitreya. SLINK and Belleza are also popular and both offer multiple variants that are unique to one another. If you can't find what you're looking for from one of those bodies—then my question is...what is it you want? Each of those bodies are comparable in terms of features, all of them can be adjusted with sliders to heavily allow you to alter their shape and they are all widely supported.

If cost is the issue then that's understandable. If you prefer legacy vs mesh, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I don't want newer people researching mesh bodies to be mislead by the points you've made when they are simply not true.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chase01 said:

You're right, not every clothing creator supports every mesh body on the market, BUT many do support the most popular mesh bodies and offer rigged versions for those bodies in one package. You don't have to like Maitreya. SLINK and Belleza are also popular and both offer multiple variants that are unique to one another. If you can't find what you're looking for from one of those bodies—then my question is...what is it you want? Each of those bodies are comparable in terms of features, all of them can be adjusted with sliders to heavily allow you to alter their shape and they are all widely supported.

If cost is the issue then that's understandable. If you prefer legacy vs mesh, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I don't want newer people researching mesh bodies to be mislead by the points you've made when they are simply not true.

Points I have made that are simply not true, I have stated opinions, and for them there is no true or false, its an opinion. Some facts like cost and the fact that there is a lot more to working with a mesh avatars than classic avatars can't be denied. And that last one is, I thought, one of the good points about mesh avatars that you can do more with them, there is more available to them, more options.

And as for new people, IMHO, I think telling them right off that they look ugly because they have not spent thousands of lindens on a mesh avatar is more damaging to SL. Just starting in SL and getting bombarded by potential bills for your avatar that you thought was free is not helping retain people in SL. Stop telling the new people they are ugly and need to update their avatar, its “feeling” like they are being told, your ugly get out! I fully expect to see places demand only mesh avatars or you will be banned, doubt it but would not be surprised.

And also, what points have I made that are misleading and simply not true, I know its not the cost, I agree the are pretty, and they are a lot more work than the classic avatar, so its not that, what then?

And still, doing another demo, there is a new, fairly new, avatar on mesh addicts that is complete with head, I, on my PC, still have a line around my neck, can't live with that. I'll try it again in a month or so because it is kind of new and does look nice, but for now, delete.

And I do think that mesh avatars are a good thing, but I am disappointed that LL has not done more in that regard, an option for a start up avatar that is Modifiable and looks good, an avatar comparable to the classic avatar that can wear clothing, skins, etc.. off the MP. And its not because it will take away from the market, if that had anything to do with it there would never have been Linden Homes, and yes I live in one and love it, sorry for being out of step yet again.

And what am I looking for in a mesh avatar, I don't know and I guess that is one reason I don't have one yet, but I'm still looking. But the cost is one factor that is slowing me down, I get more of a “feeling” of being nickle-and-dimmed to death than with the classic avatar.

I was referring to your comments regarding availability of product which I addressed in that post. I won't speak for @Theresa Tennyson but my assumption is that she suggested Maiteya because it is the most popular and most supported body on the market by a large margin (going back to your point of suggesting product availability).

The clothing market is supporting multiple bodies across several brands that are the most popular. This is why many of us suggest those few specific brands and it isn't because we "own stock" in their business but because they are so widely supported and its going to give owners of those said bodies a better overall experience. I own several mesh bodies, including one by TMP. I know the harsh reality of product availability. It was frustrating to see ads, go to events and or see something that wasn't made to support my body. In fact, it was starting to become all to common. Now that the market has matured, it is clear which bodies are being supported and those are the ones generally suggested.

I would agree that calling people "ugly" because they aren't in a mesh avatar isn't good. I don't condone or support such behavior. The reality is that a lot of newer residents that come to Second Life want to customize their avatar on day-1. Nobody is forcing them to do so or calling them out. Customizing is part of the fun, its something to do and they see what other avatars look like around them.

No doubt there is a cost there to going full mesh. I know that does hold a lot of people back. We are here to support those that want to get more information on the subject so they can make an informed decision and purchase something that is going to be of value to them.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 8:05 PM, Chase01 said:

I would agree that calling people "ugly" because they aren't in a mesh avatar isn't good. I don't condone or support such behavior. 

There does seem to be some who have an extreme anti-nonmesh approach. I was recently talking to this guy. Trying to turn the conversation towards my art in hopes of interesting him in purchasing something. There was another guy nearby who this guy mentioned, and I saw an opportunity to promote the art, because this second guy had been a model for some paintings way back. So I mentioned this fact and the first guy went all ballistic on me. To him the mere fact that I would stoop so low as to allow anyone with a classic avatar to be the subject of one of my paintings, proved I had no taste and wasn't worthy of his attention. Never mind that I myself have a mesh body and a mesh head, just me associating with one of the classic avi low lifes was enough to make me unworthy.

I've personally tried the more common mesh bodies in SL. I kind of agree that while they look good, with the mesh heads, cost is the problem. I personally like the easier to use Maitreya body and Catwa non-bento head (because bento is too ex to consider), but I don't wan to spend more than $15 on my avatar. I play SL because i wanted some fun, but the cost of SL is rising so fast in avatar enhancement that I feel so poor; much poorer than I am in RL.

I'm sure many of us with classic avatars wants the change, but cost wise...that is my week of lunch money. Not forgetting that if you get a mesh head, you will need to get new skins and developers aren't charging cheap for them. I can't afford such luxury in SL because I've just got an apartment and a car. Most of us also have this big dilemma - having favourite mesh clothings that aren't fitted mesh and is only available for classic avatar.

That said, I MUST say that people who are anti-non-mesh are almost equivalent to cyber bullies. I don't condone the things they say and I make use of a button we have in SL and not RL - "mute". Just because I don't wear mesh simply means I've a RL that I'm living and I need the money for it. I'm not talented in the ways of software designing, so building and designing mesh is a huge challenge. I'm sure many people too.

But these days, I'm seeing lesser and lesser mesh clothings for classic avatars. Good and bad - SL is progressing, but unfortunately, many of us "poorer cousins" will be obsolete soon. But to have clothes suit every body, mesh or non-mesh, is unrealistic. Honestly! Just like in RL, I design and make clothes as a hobby. It's hard to fit to everyone's curve. So I make them my size. Lol. If people buy, they will either have to fatten up or loosen down to fit. Same for SL, I guess *shrugs*.

@Jiyulie I don't know where you shop but if you're on a budget there are ways you can cut down on the cost. I have seen decent skins through group gifts, discount events, gacha and even some lucky boards. I've also demoed a lot of skins from some lesser known creators and found quite a few of them to be comparable to what I would typically wear. So there's options out there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.