• Announcements

• Xiola Linden

The New Community Platform   03/21/2017

We are still working on making adjustments and changes to the new platform. Thanks  to everyone who has been sending in feedback and filing any bugs you've encountered! 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quinn Lysette

mesh body why are they popular ?

7 posts in this topic

when 

1. they are like lifeless manikins 

i heard the mouth dont move or something i see it just a waste of lindens

also is the 1 i got mesh  cuz i rember i got it in the marketplace n got charged something like 3000 lindens or so is it mesh ?

i do know i got wome wierd creepy mesh shorts that whenever i log in they are sideways or not even on mesh is crappy LoL

Why is anything popular?  Because people like it. If you really want to discuss a question like that, the place to do it is in the General Discussion forum, where I'm sure you will get many opinions.

Any avatar that you can buy in Marketplace or in world is mesh.  (In fact, so is your standard "classical" avatar. They always have been.)  If your mouth is not moving when you speak, then you have not activated it properly in Preferences >>> Sound & Media  (  https://gyazo.com/f361354ab215e7da98157c01c798b5fd ) . 

If you bought mesh clothing that is not attaching properly, as you describe it, you may be experiencing region lag or you may have a flaky Internet connection.  Avoid using a wireless connection -- use cable or a DSL connection instead -- and try rebooting both your router and your modem.

Well Quinn,  that is the beauty of SL.  There are so many choices of how you want your avatar to look.  You may not care for mesh and have your reasons,  but a great many of the SL residents DO like it.  So to each his own so no point in knocking something when it is ONLY your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to.

But FYI,  good mesh bodies with a good skin DO look loads better than the standard SL avatar issued when you join up (especially mine it is 11 years old you should have seen them back then lmao).  To me there is absolutely no question about it.  It is my choice to have a really top of the line computer as well, so I can see my mesh and everyone elses properly, it rezzes fast and everything is in it's place.  But again that is a choice some of us make, to enhance our SL experience.  Mesh clothing also looks by far better in some cases than painted on layer clothing if it is made well, especially skirts,  the layer skirt is and always has been horrible, however, having said that some tops and pants too look great done in layers.  As a designer, I will sometimes mix mesh with layers and make appliers for mesh bodies to work with them as well.  

My mesh body moves better than the original avatar did as well, looking far more life like as opposed to a cartoon and is certainly NOT like a lifeless maninkin.  I have a bento mesh head and my mouth moves just fine.

So to sum it all up for you:  YES  mesh bodies do look better for most of us.  But as I said in SL there is room for everyone to have their personal preferences and absolutely no need to bash others preferences because they are not the same as yours.  Live and let live as they say, it is  a matter of respecting others preferences and a sign of maturity.

Quinn Lysette wrote:

1. they are like lifeless manikins

Something is wrong with your AO.  Did you load it with static poses?

Quinn Lysette wrote:

i heard the mouth dont move or something

Don't believe everything you hear.

Are you talking about bodies or heads? Because it sounds like you're talking about heads. 

Mesh bodies move just like "classic" bodies, since they're rigged to the same skeleton. The curves are much smoother, which is why they're popular.

The mouth of the standard avatar doesn't move by default, either. It can manage minimal, mechanical motion with certain animations or poseballs, but very little. Mesh heads can have smoother animations, especially if they're Bento, which allows for very nice, realistic movement. The main difference I've noticed, animation wise, is that mesh heads don't blink naturally. Or rather, they didn't seem to, until Bento. 

Mesh does take time to load. It's not any worse than system clothes, for me, back when my clothes used to rez, then go fuzzy, then rez again, then go fuzzy...

Some people don't like mesh, but lots of us do. I, personally, much prefer the looks I can achieve with mesh. 

Quinn Lysette wrote:

[The usual fact free Quinn " All avi be under 5'2" to not be broke, i like old stuff look like crap" crap]

Why mesh ?

This is why...

</thread>

Move along people, nothing to see here...

Mesh bodies don't move your mouth. Your need a mesh head for that. Catwa, one of the more popular head stores, depending on which model you get, the mouth moves..

Edited by Carl Thibodeaux