Beware -- Viewer2 install on Centos 5.6 failed, blew away /usr/local

Seabrook Oceanlane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been running Viewer2 sucessfully for quite a while on Centos 5.4 and 5.5, but just updated to 5.6 today and had to reinstall the SecondLive viewer.  I unpacked it and moved it to /usr/local as before and tried to adjust my /usr/local/bin/secondlife symbolic link and it would not run.  I then went to the /usr/local/SecondLife directory and tried ./install.sh which moved the whole shebang to /usr/opt and wiped out my entire /usr/local directory!  I'm sure I had a dozen apps installed there and probably no recent backup.  I'd appreciate any suggestions but don't hold out much hope.  Considering cancelling my premium membership and moving on to better pastures.  Been a member of SL for 3 1/2 years.  Ah well, MOOs died out after about 8 years also, maybe SL has had its day...

2 answers to this question

I don't have an answer to your question and I do not seek to duplicate the error.  Why install SL in /usr/local anyway?  The /opt is there for a reason; a 'link' from /usr/local/bin to /opt would suffice.  Put /opt in your PATH or put the executable of SL in your PATH.  I don't mean to admonish you for poor system and application management, but that's what happens when people refuse to follow standards and conventions.  Insofar as back-up or your lack of any recent copy - a good back-up methodology can be run automatically from cron - and every evening.  In the same time it takes to create a symbolic link you could have written a cron job.  RTFM.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.