Sales Impact or No Support for Internet Explorer in the Marketplace

Etienne Brando

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As some of you know, A recent update to the second life marketplace included an advertisement service on most web pages that serves HTTP images while the page is served with HTTPS. This has caused a problem for customers who use Internet Explorer because they get a security warning dialog pop-up on every page that they visit.

I did an assessment of the potential impact that this might have on merchant sales volume. We assume that some customers using Internet Explorer might turn away from the marketplace as a result of the security warning.

According to StatCounter Internet Explorer represents 45% of all web browsers globally. According to W3Counter  Internet Explorer represents 39% of all web browsers globally.

This means that between 40% to 50% of all marketplace customers are impacted by the premature release of the new advertising server. As stated earlier, Many of these potential customers are likely to turn away from the marketplace without completing a purchase because of the nuisance effect and because of uncertainty regarding the security of their purchase.

To my mind Second Life merchants should have started seeing the impact in reduced sales volumes for the last week. In addition to Internet Explorer some customers who use Google Chrome will also experience a similar user experience.

I cannot understand why the advertisement server, in the state that is in today, is more important that second life customers and second life merchants.

I sincerely hope that the staff and management at Linden Labs are treating this issue as a high priority. More than a week has passed and still there has been no resolution. 

as a chrome user there is no pop-up every time you click something in the marketplace if you click the icon next to the https or web address it tells you the page's status today it's gone from high risk insecure content to insecure content which is an improvement give LL a bit more time we might once again go back to a secure connection

Phil Deakins wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's like that because the LL developers don't know what they are doing, which is nothing new, and such things are to be expected from them.

lol

yeah, maybe not entirely fair as a blanket statement, but, um yeah, the QA department has been out to lunch for a while now... ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.