Issues with the newer update viewer 2.6.1 and the older 2.60

Ray Lonergan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been using one of the older versions of the SL viewer 2 because of this issue. I will load SL and the picture the always have pops up. So seems to be working fine, soon as I try to log in  I get DNS could not resolve host name. Please see if you can connect to www. secondlife.com which I can no issues. I have flushed my DNS cache. I have restarted my router and modem. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Second life. Nothing works except going to a older version. I have had this issue in the past with one of the really older versions in as well, which caused me to use a alternate viewer Emerald.

Anyone else have this issue? And if so how did you resolved it or any ideas on anything else to try.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I have seen others with the same problem and they are fine on different versions or different viewers, like you are.

I have no idea what causes it, most people do all the usual fixes and if they don`t work they use a different viewer until the next update is released and then switch back to it if that one is ok again.

Its probabaly something really random causing it, like a group tag lol.....You could try that, change your active group tag in another viewer and then try logging into the one that doesn`t work for you.

Would be funny if it worked LOL :D

No group tag was on. I usually don't wear a tag, I have seen people in the past also with this issue post as well. Someone suggested once it might be do to the anti-virus you use. SL fixes the issue on a different version. Than it creeps back in when they do some sort of major upgrade or new feature added such as this personal web page thing in the latest version. All I know I tried every suggestion everyone had on this issue now and in the past and none of them worked. I will have just keep doing what I and others apparantely do. Wait for a new upgade and try it out and if not go back to the older version.

I agree, back in the day when we all had one viewer and that was it, it was more tragic when things went wrong for no apparant reason. With all the TPVs, Beta viewers etc now its easier to just switch to a different one if that works perfectly and spend time in SL instead of banging your head on the desk trying to fiddle with things, then switch back if the next one works better.

Check here and the JIRA occasionally to see if some genius comes up with a solution or a workaround to try in the meantime...Can`t hurt :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.