Full Permission Products Question

isparkl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was looking at "full permission" products in marketplace and from what I gather is that you can buy and use their full permission prod. to upload and sell your own creations in your shop modified ofc.. correct? Also, is there a limit to the uses? like can I only use the product once? or can I use it unlimitedly? 

Thanks♥

3 answers to this question

Most template makers have their own TOS which will include minimum prices, which textures can be included and what selling permissions may be used.  It is essential to check that the TOS are acceptable to you before you buy.

There is usually no limit on how many items you can create and sell, only the terms by which you sell them.

Items made for the Maitreya Lara body sometimes have separate terms from those for other mesh bodies.  This is a condition passed along from the maker of the Maitreya body to the template maker as a condition for receiving the body weights.

Whether such a 'second hand' condition can be enforced or not I don'y know, but violating the TOS of template makers can get you a DMCA and a ban from buying their products, so it's not worth the risk.

• Thanks 1

As a rule of thumb, you buy a full permission product with the intent to modify or re-texture and resell product.  You may sell as many copies of your derivative work as you want but you may not sell them as full permission.  Make them either no copy or no transfer.

Be sure to read every tab in the MP and understand any restrictions the creator may have since this is not always how it works.  Some may say you cannot charge for what you make, or they may specify what permissions you can sell it with.

• Thanks 1

You can sell as many of your finished product as you want.  However there are restrictions on most of them.  The TOS allows creators to sell their products under any terms they wish to specify.

Most full perm items do not allow you to sell that 'as is', in other words as you receive them.  You must either make them part of a larger product and/or modify them in some way, such as adding a script and/or animations to make the product do something that it doesn't already do, and/or making a new texture for the item even if it comes with a baked texture which they intend only for personal use, depending on what the item is.

Some say you can't compete with the original creator by how or where you sell them or by what price you charge.  Some say you can't give the item you make from it away for free and some specify a minimum price you must charge. The majority only allow you to resell the item in SL.  Meaning you can't sell them in another grid or on a website other than the MP.

Their license or TOS will spell out all the restrictions you will have so be sure to read that before you buy and if you have any questions talk to the creator.  If they tell you something that is not specified in the license then get it in writing on a notecard created by the creator or email or some type of document that you can produce if necessary.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.