Sign in to follow this  
masonisall

Interview for Anthropological Project

Hello there everyone, I am here to do a project and I was hoping that if any of you want to do so. I'll be giving out seven questions and you have the choice to answer them or not, just at least participate. Please and thank you. I'll place the questions here and you guys can answer me by message if you want it to be private.

1. How did you find out about Second Life?
  2. Any issues among players discriminating race, gender, religion, etc.?
  3. Depending if you had a relationship in sl, how different are the relations between real life and online?

4. What gender is your character?
  5. Are your relationships with the opposite and the same sex in Second Life any different from real life?
  6. Which life do you like better? Second Life or Real Life?
  7. How do you usually like to dress your character? (ex. preppy, vampire, goth, etc.)

What do we have down here in the Adult section? 

1. It had a lot of Hype in the beta days.  The first report I remember  reading was in a magazine on some airplane.
  2. Do you mean issues from normal life being a reason to discriminate in SL? None to speak of.   I have seen more conflict about such in SL terms.  Furries, avatar height, kids, etc. 
  3. My relationships in SL tend to be platonic or fleeting.  That said, office politics are every bit as real except with the drama turned to maximum.
  4. This one is female. 
  5. Yes and no.  First, people are not all the same.  I treat Larry like Larry.  I don't treat him "like a man."  I treat people as they appear to want to be treated.  It has nothing to do with gender in either world.
    On the other hand, I have a male avatar that only dates M2F transgendered avatars.  That has yet to happen outside of SL.
  6. Second Life is a subset of Real Life.  So the answer is yes. Really, what did you expect here?  In SL I have had an outragiouslly beautiful girl serve me coffee in the nude.  The Real Life experience of the same was much better.
  7. Business slutty.

1. I was on here several years ago and stopped/deleted after a bad relationship ending. A friend from another online game told me about it. 
  2. I don't see any issues with discrimination, except for guys wanting to jump my pants even in general areas.
  3. Relationships can be similar to RL. My last relationship ages ago, he said he felt too attached and was starting to have trouble distinguishing SL from RL and that's why he ended it. You can form deep, sincere relationships and have your heart broken when they end.

4. Female
  5. I feel I can be a little freer on SL. There's not the pressure of face to face.
  6. I like aspects of both, but RL currently.
  7. I like dressing my avi girly girl. Dresses, boots, skirts, etc.

Not answering all, but one needs a special mention,

2. The hatred and discrimination, dare I say even fear of kids is phenomenal. Leaves the real world discrimination against gays, blacks, whatever in the dirt.

You want to do a Anthropological Project, become a kid for a month and see.

1. I can not remember, this was in 2007.

2. Far more liberal and it is a same sex relationship (/me waves at Kio)

3. Not much. Second Life is generally speaking a very liberal world. One can totally reinvent oneself regardless who you are in real life. It would be extremely stupid to discriminate somebody because of who that person is in real.

Having said that, there are a few stupid people in SL too. As said before, virtual kids can have a hard time and furries too for some strange reason. Some idiots refuse to talk to somebody, just because they do not speak English – properly!

Race being an issue in an international environment would be extremely dump. I mean, seriously? Good idea for an experiment. Maybe I create a black character to test it.

I did only once come across somebody talking about religion. A guy who believed he needs to save my soul. He was telling me how sinful my Second Life was (I am somewhat promiscuous and did work as a virtual prostitute at the time).I felt a bit discriminated for my choices and for not being christian. I asked him, if he would like to throw the first stone at me (a line his boss used some 2.000 years ago) at a virtual stoning in Second Life. That made him shut up. 

4. I have several characters, female and male. The main is female (Caroline Resident).

5. I don't get this. What is the difference to question number 2?

6. Real Life of course. I have a happy family, I am in good health conditions, have an interesting Job (Key Accounting for Google), a decent income, a vivid sex life and some hobbies, one being Second Life. Second Life is complementing my real life and will never be able to replace it. And in RL the graphics are so much better.

7. I lost count of my outfits. Shopping is cheap in sl and the possibilities endless. Typically I dress pretty normal. I am the jeans type but I have some more formal outfits too. My role play characters are obviously dressed according to the setting I play in - as authentic as possible.

6 hours ago, carolinestravels said:

Hi,

I most definetly agree with Callum here.

I tried it. Was a reveiling experience in many ways. 

I wouldn't like to agree with Callum here, as comparing real life discrimination vs. what happens towards child avatars in Second Life are different levels of discrimination. In Second Life you can at least change how you represent yourself, in RL...well you can't to the same degree. Behind any child avatar is also usually an adult. The "discrimination" against child avatars is not a discrimination of the user behind it.

This discrimination is also far more an exclusion, than anything else and not a hate against real children. It all boils down to people being uncomfortable around this type of avatar for one or another reason.

1. I was aware of it a long time before i actually tried it out, I can't say for sure how I first heard of it.

2. In RL my circle of family and friends has a lot of prejudice and discrimination, SL to me has much much less of that.

3. I am married in both RL and SL, the two are very different, my RL marriage takes priority over SL and pretty much everything else in my life. My SL marriage is in some ways an expression of who I am as a married person in RL, and the same is true for my husband, but it is still just a part of something we do as a part of our real lives.

4. Female

5. Yes, as I said in #2 I am surrounded by people with narrow views of things, and I tend to play along even when I disagree to keep the peace and avoid conflict, I find SL to be a place I can fully express my thoughts and feelings without fear. 

6. Well RL has pleasures that SL just can't touch, sex with my RL husband is so much more fulfilling than sex with my SL husband, In RL i can actually smell the flowers, and taste the food, and experience everything with all the senses, and yet I often find RL a scary place, and SL is safe, I cannot get hurt, if a situation happens I don't like I can TP out or even just log off and forget it. This aspect of it I like better than RL. I also love that I can do physical things here that might be dangerous in RL with no fear of getting hurt. I can drive a car as fast as I want and not worry about ending up in the hospital.

7. I tend to dress in ways my very conservative narrow minded group of family and friends would describe as like a whore.  

11 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I wouldn't like to agree with Callum here, as comparing real life discrimination vs. what happens towards child avatars in Second Life are different levels of discrimination. In Second Life you can at least change how you represent yourself, in RL...well you can't to the same degree. Behind any child avatar is also usually an adult. The "discrimination" against child avatars is not a discrimination of the user behind it.

This discrimination is also far more an exclusion, than anything else and not a hate against real children. It all boils down to people being uncomfortable around this type of avatar for one or another reason.

Maybe I'm wrong and I can not offer proof but doesn't the "one or another reason" really boil down mainly to two primary related reasons:  The ban on sexual age play and disgust with pedophilia?  Now I do understand that people are often quick to judge and wrongfully say that anyone portraying themselves as a Child must be involved with these activities.  But I can't think that I've ever heard any other reasons for the objections.

• Like 1

in SL discrimination (meaning to act negatively towards a group of people generalizing them with a negative characteristic that all don't share), is more openly expressed because there is not so much stigma in being a SL discriminator against them, we know discriminating in RL someone because of race, religion, country of origin, is legally bad, therefore is socially accepted, discrimination against furries, child avis, don't have a strong social stigma yet, so if the SL discriminators express it, they are not going to look so much socially bad, discrimination against them is not taken so seriously because is something that is not permanent, the user can change it any time, that's why discrimination is so rampant.

what they don't see is that discrimination unfairly harms innocents. people may be punished for a non existent fault. its like RL reflected to SL with different characteristics with a minimal government. Linden Lab should have in the Community Guidelines that is forbidden to discriminate towards a certain group of minorities.

Edited by Canoro Philipp

How did you find out about Second Life?

I was looking in google for Multiplayer games, some you had to pay, Second Life was free, I decide to try it.

Any issues among players discriminating race, gender, religion, etc.?

see the post above.

Depending if you had a relationship in sl, how different are the relations between real life and online?

in sl closeness develops faster, there is more openess, maybe because there are many elements of security, no one can harm you much, with the possibility of sharing many special moments, going places, and the confidence that you always look great. confidence and security makes people be more open, relationships develop faster.

What gender is your character?

Male

Are your relationships with the opposite and the same sex in Second Life any different from real life?

not really, I treat them like I would any person in RL.

Which life do you like better? Second Life or Real Life?

if I could modify RL with SL advantages I would add it the ability to create things out of thin air, teleport, the change of terrain, the flexibility of the environment, I depend on RL to live, if I could choose I would live in a world like Second Life.

How do you usually like to dress your character? (ex. preppy, vampire, goth, etc.)

Casual. jeans, a shirt.

Edited by Canoro Philipp

On 13/02/2017 at 4:06 PM, masonisall said:

Hello there everyone, I am here to do a project and I was hoping that if any of you want to do so. I'll be giving out seven questions and you have the choice to answer them or not, just at least participate. Please and thank you. I'll place the questions here and you guys can answer me by message if you want it to be private.

3. Depending if you had a relationship in sl, how different are the relations between real life and online?

5. Are your relationships with the opposite and the same sex in Second Life any different from real life?
  7. How do you usually like to dress your character? (ex. preppy, vampire, goth, etc.)

1 My therapist told me about it

2 People are rude to you if you are not clever

3 It is more difficult to tell if people are lieing to you in Second Life

4 I am a boi

5 They can not be the same can they

6 Second Life is part of real life so that is a silly question

7 Normal

17 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

Maybe I'm wrong and I can not offer proof but doesn't the "one or another reason" really boil down mainly to two primary related reasons:  The ban on sexual age play and disgust with pedophilia?  Now I do understand that people are often quick to judge and wrongfully say that anyone portraying themselves as a Child must be involved with these activities.  But I can't think that I've ever heard any other reasons for the objections.

- fear to get involved into a report for sexual age play

- general feeling of uncomfortableness around child avatars

- not fitting the environment (from the opinion of the owner, similar to why furries aren't welcome everywhere)

Those are the most common reasons I came across

1. I was introduced in 2009 to Second Life by a real life friend.
  2. Just like real life, there are certainly some prejudices in Second Life, though I have never personally experienced them.
  3. My Second Life relationship turned into a real life one. I am now engaged to my partner of 7 years. I have also found my best friend in Second Life which also has moved to a real life friendship.
  4. Female, though I have a male alternative avatar for my photography.
  5. Interactions are generally the same but the way I view it is everyone's modesty is gone when in a virtual world. If someone has something whether good or bad to say to you, they will say it with generally no filter due to the anonymity that a virtual platform offers.
  6. That's a very odd question to me as although in many ways they are the same, they are also very different. I would say i prefer real life but for me the two are almost one in the same. In a way that's like asking do you prefer facebook to real life. They are both social platforms.
  7. My avatar changes constantly. Some days I may dress like my rl other days I can be dressed in sci-fi gear. It varies immensely based on my mood, what products are currently available, and what I'm doing on SL.

On 13.2.2017 at 5:06 PM, masonisall said:

1) back then, I heard about it from a friend who swooned all over the place about SL no matter if you want to hear about it or not. I gave it a try, and was hooked from the first day.

2) When I frequented a German Newbie Area,where my (female) friend Gem volunteered as a newbie helper, I witnessed sometimes that male newbies would dismiss her answers and ask the same questions to a male newbie helper - only to hear "That was already answered by Gem" However, outside of Newbie Areas, I've witnessed such discrimination only very seldomly.

3) Relationships can be VERY deep and serious. After all, there's a real human behind each avatar, with real feelings and emotions.

4) female

5) well in SL I'm more daring, Currently I'm exploring whether or not I'm fit for polyamory.

6) Depends on my mood. Mostly I like SL better

7) Latex and Bondage. You can see my current usual outfit at the avatar pic here.

1) Really oldschool advertisements almost a decade ago when playing Smallworlds. Didnt actually get interested until late last year when i saw some posts on facebook about it and decided I might as well play since Smallworlds is pretty much dead now.

2) Ive never really seen much discrimination directed towards people. Most users seem to get along no matter who else believes what, their skin color or nationality, language, etc.

3) Never had one, but from the ones ive seen it looks almost like a more in depth friendship where people express themselves much more openly.

4) Female

5) Not really, mainly just chatting, you can talk with anyone the same way really, and that carried into secondlife. The way i interact with people didnt change much.

6) Both have their pros and cons, you cant compare a game to reality. Secondlife is nice because it allows a person to involve themselves with things you may not be able to do in real life, in a setting thats similar socially to reality.

7) Its polar opposites as my average outfits. Either its casual wear like a plain shirt with an flannel, shorts, etc or my more common outfit of a formal jacket. Its still a realaxed outfit but one that seems like something you would wear as a real estate agent or something lmao