how do you cancel an account for someone who is deceased?

Lnarra Raviprakash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

this isn't Linden LAB, but residents who try to help residents.

If your father is still able to stop his subscription he has to do that now, or you do it for him.

I wouldn't wait till it really happens.

Officially your father has to mention SL in his last wishes/will to let you handle his account after he passes away.

If i'm not wrong this has to be conforimed by a legal representative as soon you use this.

You can contact LL live help or send a ticked by the support system to reach support.

Lnarra Raviprakash wrote:

Dear Linden Labs,

I currently have an SL account.. My Father, who is now in Hospice, does as well. How do I go about cancelling his account and recurring monthly charge once he has past? 

Dear Lnarra

Unless you were wanting to actually take over your father's Second Life account after his death, I'd say you don't really need to do anything.  

At the sad point when anyone dies, once the next of kin takes over that person's bank accounts, the bank accounts freeze, all the automatic payments, direct debits, etc., freeze also.  

So if your father is currently unable to use his Second Life account and is not in a position to contact the bank himself to cancel the automatic payments, or to go onto the Second Life website himself, what is likely to happen, in the event of his death, those automatic payments to Linden Lab for his monthly charges just would not be made, and Linden Lab would send your father's contact email address a message after a while saying the account was to be suspended until payment was made.  And that would be that. Tied up neatly.  So really, in respect of your father's Second Life account, the best form of action is inaction.

All the answers you've gotten are correct.

My own suggestion would be to do nothing, but be sure to get your dad's password while there's still time.

Once he passes, you'll be able to log in as "him", sell his land (if any), sell his $L and transfer the proceeds to a PayPal account (he will need to have a verified PayPal account set up in advance.  If there's a significant amount of $L involved, I suggest doing this.)  Then you can transfer any transferable inventory items to his SL friends, and delete his account.

As his executor, you'll be able to access his bank accounts and credit cards.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.