In world texture help.

Coll Blaylock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I really have no clue where to post this but I really need help. No matter where I go I can't seem to load textures anywhere past this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?q4n8q0atffikb

As you can can see I need to be really up close to barely see anything. This happens to me everywhere. Problem is I have a ok enough graphics card that should be able to run Second Life as well as a decent enough connection to download the textures just fine. Objects and people tend to load up fast but textures do not. I can be in a spot for hours and still nothing happens. My cache is set at max. So I really have no clue why this is happening.

6 answers to this question

What viewer are you using? And have you cleared your cache recently? If not you'll want to do that. It's better to do it manually and where it's located, if you don't know, is different depending on which viewer you're using. This page might help.

Also, it's always a good idea to refresh your modem and router (if you have one), just in case there's an issue with your connection. First turn off your computer and unplug your modem and router for a minute, then plug your modem back in. Wait for it to connect, then once that's done, plug in your router and turn your computer back on.

Hope this helps... Dres

I have cleared the cache. This would be the latest browser that SL has atm. Viewer 2 (2.6.1.225680). I have also used the old browser (1.23.5). Neither of them made a differense. I will try the reseting the router and modem but I really doubt that would be the issue.

Hmm.  So there's a debug setting, TextureDiscardLevel, that wants to be 0.  If it's anything higher than that, textures will look blurry.  But I think they'll always look blurry, and it appears from those snapshots that eventually you can get them to load.  So that's probably not it, but if it is, then you may have other contaminated settings, and you'd want to manually clear those out and start from scratch.

You might also try toggling HTTP Textures (from the Develop menu) to see if it helps.

Also from the Develop menu, watching the Texture Console (Control-Shift-3) might give some clues about where things are getting stuck.  The wiki has an article that's helpful in interpreting that stuff.

Frankly, though, it does point to a network problem.  Are you getting a lot of lost packets, by any chance?

You can check for packet loss in Help / About Second Life.  In Viewer 2, it will be the last line in the "Info" tab.  Within a few minutes of login, packets lost should be well below 1%.

Actually, it may be useful to just copy all the text from that tab and paste it here, in case anybody spots anything unusual about the machine configuration.  (You can leave out the part with the sim name and location if that's not comfortable.)

You can also see packet loss, bandwidth, ping latency, and other fun stuff from the Statistics Bar (Control+Shift+1).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.