Need help before buying a script.

GongYoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I talked to a friend who has this necklace that tells them what sim their partner is on and who is around them and my partner wants the same thing. I'm okay with this as long as they consent to it because I wouldn't want to do it against their will but anyway.. I've been trying to find a script that does this and I can't seem to find a way to script it myself because I'm too noob to do it and can't find a free script that allows me to do this. Anyway I came accross the Dvandva Location Tracker script here https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dvandva-Location-Tracker-Box/1909087?page=2 but I'm worried after reading the review of one person that it's not going to do what it actually says. Has anyone ever used this script and know it works? I found another but it's a one time use only thing and that seems pricey if I want to give him multiple pieces of jewelery so this one seemed best. If this doesn't work is there a script available that does what this one does? Thank you for the help in advance.

This is a forum for scripters who are interested in sharing interesting approaches to writing LSL scripts or trying to solve problems in their own scripts.  It is not an advice column.  In specific answer to your question, though, a reasonably skilled scripter can certainly write a script that does what that ad says it can do.  Whether this particular product works is anyone's guess.  Whether it is worth the L$ and the implicit statement about trust and personal privacy is up to you.

It has been my experience that people will poorly review scripts when they don't know how to use them.

I have a review on one script that says:

"You get a notecard with a script but the script doesn't work."

- The person did not realize they needed to take the script out of the notecard and put it into an object. This review was left back before 'inventory based marketplace' let us direct upload scripts, so you had to put them in notecards.

Rather than try to figure things out, the person simply left that statement.

• Like 1

Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum I didn't know where something like this would go. I do know how to script though and was wondering if there was a way to script this myself. I have noticed people leave bad reviews on scripts when they don't know how to work them. I've seen many people just dump the scripts in items and expect it to work without reading the notecards. I'm going to purchase this and see what it's like. I was playing with coding and I kinda got something like it to work but I still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the code. 

GongYoo wrote:

Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum I didn't know where something like this would go. I do know how to script though and was wondering if there was a way to script this myself. [ .... ] I was playing with coding and I kinda got something like it to work but I still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the code. 

Then by all means, feel free to post the part of your script that is troublesome (or the whole thing is it isn't too long).  It would be most productive if you identify specific problems ("The script isn't recognizing the wearer's UUID") than if you just say something vague ("Something's not working and I don't know how to fix it.").  In general, although we don't write scripts for each other here, we will usually share code snippets or suggest strategies to try, and you'll find that LSL scripters usually have plenty of advice about things to avoid. :smileytongue:

BTW, use the code widget at the top of your text edit window (the one that looks like </> ) to post code so that it has a chance of looking clean.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.