I want to create and import meshes for SL

OichiKazama

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I work with alot of 3D and 3D-related software so i'm no noob to this kind of stuff BUT i am having trouble actually importing meshes into SL? I want to import a mesh-head and a top i made with a software called PMX and i imported it into blender and exported it as an obj so now what? Is there a guide on this?

Pamela already answered your question but maybe I can add a few little details:

• The best source of info is probably the Mesh section of this forum.
  • You need to export the file as dae, not obj to import it into Second Life.
  • You don't mention what kind of 3D experience you have but if you've been creating assets for modern game engines, you should be aware that Second Life uses a rather crude and primitive LoD system and it takes quite a bit of knowledge and special skills to be able to create low lag models with good LoD for SL.
  • If you don't have game assets experience, you should be aware that models for a dynamic environment needs to be much lower both on mesh vertices and texture pixels than other 3D models. A minute render time may be acceptable for a standalone static 3D model, a millisecond is too slow for a game/virtual reality asset.
  • If you want to make money as a new independent content creator/merchant in Second Life, forget it. Second Life mesh has a number of peculiarities that it takes a while even for experienced 3D modellers to figure out. The Second Life market is generally over-saturated, very hard to figure out and extremely difficult for a newcomer to break into on their own. What we see more and more are multi-person operations, merchants focusing on marketing and commissioning professional modellers to produce the merchandise and content creators focusing on building and hiring assistants to help with marketing.

ChinRey wrote:
  • If you want to make money as a new independent content creator/merchant in Second Life, forget it. Second Life mesh has a number of peculiarities that it takes a while even for experienced 3D modellers to figure out. The Second Life market is generally over-saturated, very hard to figure out and extremely difficult for a newcomer to break into on their own. What we see more and more are multi-person operations, merchants focusing on marketing and commissioning professional modellers to produce the merchandise and content creators focusing on building and hiring assistants to help with marketing.

I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree about your last point as I'm an independent 3D modeler and an SL business owner myself who works alone and still able to make what I think is a decent amount of money through my SL business. Granted, I started learning about how things work in SL and the market years ago, and my first 3D model that I made and listed for sale in SL is also from years ago,  but I believe that if someone is dedicated enough they'll still be able to make profit out of independent SL venture.

My suggestion to the OP if they do think about starting an SL business is that you should try find a niche that you're really into, "feel" what people want and what's missing, and fill the gaps in demands.

• Like 1

If you haven't already - Get yourself onto the beta grid, take the mesh upload tests for both the beta and main grids and get payment into on file. Search the archives for info on what you need to do for that.

Beta grid because SL mesh requires MUCH experimentation, trial and error and having to pay for each attempt tends to lead to saying 'good enough' too early. Beta grid is free.

Understanding 3d software is one thing, understanding what SL needs from mesh in order to behave (as much as SL ever behaves) is something else entirely. So export as dae (rather than obj) and try uploading on the beta grid. Then come back to the Mesh section of the Creation forum (rather than General Discussion in the People forum) and start asking specific questions about the problems you're having. Or do an archive search, lots of great info already there from some very knowledgeable and skilled teachers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.