Streaming and IP address lookup

CobaltSkye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Only the person or organization that is streaming can see your IP address.  Your landlord can't, even if you allow steaming.

There are several reasons not to get overly paranoid about someone seeing your IP address.

LL considers it personal information and even if someone sees it, they are not allowed under the TOS to tell anyone else.

Your IP address isn't really personal in the sense that someone can find you in RL.  An IP address only tells the general area where you live.  I looked up mine on an IP address lookup site and the location it gave was miles from my home. 

Your IP address is not really private at all.  Every website you visit obtains your IP address.  

Lastly several people or more can share an IP address.  For example people who work for the same company, live in a dorm together or that live in an apartment complex that provides internet service to their tenants.

So someone who sees your IP address is not a security risk to you at all.  Just that alone will not allow them to track you down.  Of more concern is if you give personal details to anyone in SL

• Like 4

Hallo,

the IP adress means nothing. I can give you mine and then you have to search about 2.000.000 people to find me, maybe.

Now dear people, seriously. You are using an internet browser, i guess ? This not only knows your IP, it knows your location on GPS or triangulation.

Or even worse using WhatsApp or Facebook that not only knows and gives out your home-adress, yes you signed that they are allowed to do that, this 2 even send your location when you chat or  taking a picture.

So folks please stop being paranoid about SL DJs knocking at your door :matte-motes-big-grin:

Monti

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.