I am totally disgusted with the drama that sim owners cause with their groups of friends

ChelseaMacey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am so disgusted at the grief that is caused by sim owners and their friends which they put on the sim to check people out and if you say one word wrong or stick up for yourself they get rid of you this is maily American Sim owners and they are discriinating against other cultures and people who they do not understand.

5 answers to this question

Duplicate post.  Original is at https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Abuse-and-Griefing/I-am-totally-disgusted-with-the-drama-that-sim-owners-cause-with/qaq-p/3101385

Please do not start more than one thread with the same question. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 2

I see a couple of issues embedded in your complaint.  I'll try to address them...

First, sim owners (any land owner, in fact) has the right to admit or exclude anybody she pleases, at any time, for any reason...or even for no reason at all.  In SL, the Golden Rule is, "He Who Owns the Land, Makes the Rules."

For the above reason, it's wrong to refer to the actions of a landowner as "grief".  Almost by definition, griefers cause trouble on OTHER people's land.

Second, your complaint about American land owners.  I am a citizen of the United States of America, and I happen to own most of a region in SL.  So if you want, you may think of me as an "American Sim owner."  One of Second Life's characteristics (when we are at our best, anyway) is tolerance.  I, and other "American Sim owners" of my acquaintance, have always tried to be tolerant of others.  I've had tenants who were not American, and some who could barely speak English.  At present, one of my best tenants is a delightful French gentleman.  So I think you are wrong to generalize from a few bad experiences to all Americans.  To turn it around, the only time I have been booted off a sim was by a gentleman who had very little English.  Despite my efforts to be polite, and to work through our language barrier, he chose to eject and ban me.  No problem, it was his land and his right to do so.

Finally, there are two sides to every story.  You describe your behavior as "sticking up for yourself."  It's great to be proud of yourself, and your culture.  However, if you get in a land owner's face, you are likely to fall afoul of the Golden Rule (see above.)  If YOU are tolerant of others, and polite to them, it's a lot more likely that they will be tolerant of you!  If you find that you are getting kicked out of a lot of places, maybe the problem isn't with the other people, but with you.  A little self-examination may be in order.

• Like 4

I have a strong feeling, that "sticking up for yourself" truely translates to "I caused the situation to escalate". Same with drama. I always see those complain about it, who are usually right in the middle of it and wonder why the drama always follows them, when they are more than once the reason of its existance, rather than its victim.

But, if you want a discussion about your issue, the normal forum section is the better place. The answer section is build to limit a back-and-forth interaction to the bare minimum, because its just for asking direct questions and collecting answers to solve a (often technical) problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.