when you rent out land you rent by prims, so whats the difference between that and landimpact?

Diney McCallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

I always rent by the sq m of land area but I always specify how many prims the land will support. I do that because most SL residents still don't understand what land impact is, and "prims" makes more sense to them. Other land owners may specify L.I. instead.  That's more precise, but possibly confusing -- as it has evidently confused you.

I suggest reading https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Calculating-land-impact/ta-p/974163 if you really want to get a feel for the math behind the system that Linden Lab has been using for the past couple of years.  The reason for the change was that more and more mesh objects were being created for SL, and none of them use prims at all. Linden Lab needed a way to describe things that are not prims.   Land Impact is a much more accurate measure of the effort that the servers expend to support objects in SL than the old "prims" system was, too.  In the old system, all prims were considered equal, despite the fact that some (like torii) required a lot more server effort than others (like cubes), and prims that are cut, dimpled, or twisted may require more effort still.  The L.I. system measures the actual load that an object produces. 

In practice, a land impact of 1.0 is equivalent to the load of a simple cube prim, which is why it is common for landlords to do as I have and specify a "prim allowance" on the land, as if we were still using the old system.  In fact, if you have prim objects on your land, it's fair to still use "prim allowance" as your standard of measure.  If you have mesh objects, then there's no way to count prims in them, because there aren't any.  What makes it truly confusing is that smart SL residents can convert prim objects -- real prims -- to the land impact system and tell the servers to treat them as if they were mesh objects.  Doing that usually makes prim objects have a dramatically lower L.I. than they would have if they were still treated as prims. 

Confused yet?  The bottom line is that your land actually has a L.I. allowance.  That's what the servers use to determine how much stuff you are allowed to rez there.  If it makes you comfortable to think of that as a "prim allowance", go right ahead.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.