How to make LODs / Levels of Detail

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Great work, Medhue!

Two comments:

In the last video you mentioned the importance of avoiding vertices alogn the edges of UV islands when decimating. One sueful trick to simplify that is to temporarily assign each island to a different material with a different color. That makes it mucheasier to see which vertices we should avoid decimating. Of course, don't forget to reassing them to the correct materials afterwards ;)

I have to admit I didn't pay attention to evey secind of every video but there's one thing I think you forgot to mention: the importance of actually seeing the LoD models in-world - or rather on the beta grid to avoid wasting Lindens on failed uploads. No matter how carefully we do the math and how closely we study the preview, it's just not the same as actually seeing the item rezzed in a sim. Study the model at different distances and you're bound to notice details that shouldn't have been left out of a LoD model and, even more often and more positively, details that could safely have been left out after all.

the importance of actually seeing the LoD models in-world - or rather on the beta grid to avoid wasting Lindens on failed uploads. No matter how carefully we do the math and how closely we study the preview, it's just not the same as actually seeing the item rezzed in a sim. Study the model at different distances and you're bound to notice details that shouldn't have been left out of a LoD model and, even more often and more positively, details that could safely have been left out after all.

YES! (please note caps for emphasis LOL)  

Thanks ChinRey!

ChinRey wrote:

the importance of actually seeing the LoD models in-world - or rather on the beta grid to avoid wasting Lindens on failed uploads. No matter how carefully we do the math and how closely we study the preview, it's just not the same as actually seeing the item rezzed in a sim. Study the model at different distances and you're bound to notice details that shouldn't have been left out of a LoD model and, even more often and more positively, details that could safely have been left out after all.

I think that should probably be a whole other video. The beta grid stuff should be it's own video also, IMHO. Personally, I don't use the beta grid at all, unless LL is developing something that can only be tested on the beta grid. Yes, I spend a ton on uploads testing things, but I just look at that as part of the process.

My alt does all the testing on Aditi now (since they migrated the inventories and messed mine up and lost a ton of stuff). She has already gone through 15,000 plus lindens and it has only been a few months and I do some testing on Opensim.   So yes, please do mention the beta grid.

Still love that elephant. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.