why I'm I not seeing other avatars anywhere I go. all day today I have seen no one.

xbattery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

You are probably visiting areas where nobody else happens to be right now.  SL is a VERY large place, so people are scattered all over.  It's also the middle of the work day in the middle of the week for people on the west side of the Atlantic, so a lot of people won't be logging in till they get home from work. Europeans are starting to head for bed about now.

If you want to find loads of people, aim for clubs, large shopping areas, and info hubs.  Otherwise, look at your Map view before you teleport to see how many green dots (people) are there. Keep your mini-map view open all the time so that you can locate them after you arrive in a region.

• Like 2

Any more details? Could be a variety of things. 

First, where are you visiting? The Second-Life grid is MASSIVE, with people from all over the world logged in at any given time. The most popular locations to find people might be Clubs, Concerts, Events, Shops or Themed/Roleplay Sims. If you are just bouncing around randomly, there is a chance that you won't run into another user for a good amount of time. Try opening u the Destination Guide in viewer, sometimes locations will have the current population listed. Try LONDON sim or some of the Clubs listed, you should run into some other peeps in no time. 

However there might be a technical issue here with your viewer or your graphics settings. If you can see people but they just look like blobs, you are seeing simplified versions of avatars and need to turn your graphics settings up higher to see their full design. Hopefully another resident can chime in with a more technical approach, but I am thinking you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time ;-D 

There can be a couple of issues.

1.  You (or the other people) are on a land parcel that has Privacy enabled.  If this feature is enabled, avatars on the Private parcel cannot be seen (and you can't see Nearby Chat from them)...and they cannot see you either, unless you move onto the land parcel where they are.  If this is the problem, the people will still show up in People/Nearby, or on the mini-map.

2.  There simply isn't anyone there.  There are over 20,000 regions (map squares that are 256m x256m) in Second Life.  The number of people logged into SL at any given time is around 40 - 50,000.  If we were all evenly spread around, there'd be just two or three avatars per region.  But, people tend to congregate at events and other popular places...so, there are a LOT of empty regions at any given moment.  This is not entirely a bad thing; regions can only support around 40 - 100 avatars, and things start to get pretty laggy well before that.  So, crowds in SL can be a real downer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.