Step Away from my Windlight settings!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey:

Would love to stop the growing tide of attempts in markets to change my Windlight settings or anyone's for that matter. The settings for a particular computer and monitor are individual, and do NOT need to be reset according to someone else's standards. I did, in fact let one market do that months back. I was then blinded by the changes, due to an intensely bright screen and had to leave the market and change my settings back. I am now confronted by a growing number of markets and other places attempting to do so. Sometimes nagging me persistently. I would point out to such markets rule #1, Do NOT bug the customers, which includes renters and shoppers!! Rule #2 is see rule #1!!! It will not in fact necessarily make the settings and the view of your market/sim any better or classier, but may simply irritate others. Rule #3, btw, is do not repeatedly bug the customer during a single visit!

Thank you all for listening we now return you to your regularly scheduled pet peeves, already in progress...

If any Windlight setting appears intensely bright, chances are that either your monitor calibration or your SL graphics settings are way too bright in the first place.

Anyway, you can decline this, or completely disable it, or quickly switch back to the standard noon lighting with Ctrl + Shift + Y. SL has always changed your lighting according to the mainland daytime cycle or fixed region daytime settings, and we've been waiting a long time for the ability to share Windlight settings with visitors. If you don't want this, you can always opt out.

Shaman Till wrote:

Hey:

Would love to stop the growing tide of attempts in markets to change my Windlight settings or anyone's for that matter. The settings for a particular computer and monitor are individual, and do NOT need to be reset according to someone else's standards. I did, in fact let one market do that months back. I was then blinded by the changes, due to an intensely bright screen and had to leave the market and change my settings back. I am now confronted by a growing number of markets and other places attempting to do so. Sometimes nagging me persistently. I would point out to such markets rule #1, Do NOT bug the customers, which includes renters and shoppers!! Rule #2 is see rule #1!!! It will not in fact necessarily make the settings and the view of your market/sim any better or classier, but may simply irritate others. Rule #3, btw, is do not repeatedly bug the customer during a single visit!

Thank you all for listening we now return you to your regularly scheduled pet peeves, already in progress...

I never allow my settings to be changed when I get those pop-ups.  I always use "Analu Studio 5" because it shows everything beautifully.  Avatars look great and I can see everything clearly and brightly.  The only time I change from that is at a place like the Inspire Space Park.  So, when I see those requests come up, I just click Ignore and go about my business.

I might point out, that when you visit someone elses "little corner of Second Life" that they have created and allowed you the opportunity to enjoy it, then the content you view (as even Windlight settings should be) are theirs to control.  We have all seen sims that are breathtaking in their construction and content, and can only imagine what the sim should really look like from the creators mind with atmospheric changes.  I yearn for the day when the process is seamless, so we see the full effort put into these creations.  Sure, there will be some that are not so pleasant.  Not everyone is a master builder of sims, but we still have the choice to not patronize these places, and as mentioned even to still visit and prefer to use our own settings.  In truth, it will not be a new feature, merely an old promised feature way too long in the coming.   

Sometimes I allow the change on the chance that it will enhance things but generally wind up going back to standard view.

I think I spend 90% of my time using mid night.  So many things that I like to do I just prefer to do in the dark.

Hey All: Ishtara- ty, didn't realize switching to daylight would negate the Windlight reset. On the brightness, ty, but no, mine is just fine for other uses. More than likely whoever set up that particular sim feature has a failing monitor and has set those settings on said monitor. Griffin-thanks, but no idea how to do that in Phoenix, poked around the Phoenix interface including advanced menu and no clues there. Kenbro & Marcus-I do ignore it usually, now. Part of my reasoned rant involves frequent dropdowns for changing said settings, particularly in market sim. I do resent being bugged, but might have business there. I don't think the owners often realize how distracting it can be for those trying to shop or work on their stalls. It then becomes a reason to leave as quickly as my business is done. My current settings are fine and breath taking enough. If their equipment has problem(s) such as I mentioned above, ie., a failing monitor when they set it up. Void Singer-Again, no idea how to turn off the feature. Can't simply mute the owner oftentimes, because it may be their merchandise I want to buy, or their equipment I want to interact with, but should not be bugged while doing it. Perrie-thanks...sounds like it usually isn't worth trying, which was my conclusion after the first experience. At very best would be hit or miss experience. My point was it isn't necessary at a market in my opinion and is problematic at very best, and distracts the viewers. Also let me point out computers and monitors are not uniform, in their capabilities or their condition. Not to mention current lighting or the room in which a user is viewing that in. And let's finally consider the three rules above for markets and sellers. Regards, Shaman Till

Tries Grififin's suggestion and flies through the worst offender sim...and smiles big when the multiple dropdown storm doesn't happen. Ty Griffin, even after poking through that section of the menu myself had no clue that would fix it. Ahh, relative peace and freedom from other's silly ideas of how I should see their sims....grins Regards, Shaman Till

Shaman Till wrote:

<snip>

Perrie-thanks...sounds like it usually isn't worth trying,

</snip>

I did not mean to say it wasn't worth trying.  There have been some places that their particular settings did really add to the experience.  Changing the settings only takes a second or two.  Less time than it takes for that annoying 'the region you have entered is a different version' pop up.

I personally like the parcel windlight settings, especially when the owner sets them to fit the mood or better highlight the sim theme itself.

If you don't like them, just hit the button declining them.  No biggie.

I personally keep my settings on CalWL, everyone looks fantastic and the sky is nice and bright.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.