How to export mesh stuff from Maya Autodesk ?

WelshGremoryCN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

To export any mesh from Maya for upload to SL, you need to export in collada dae format, 

I don't use Maya my self (I'm a Cinema 4d girl) but... you should find options to "export as" in the file menu of the application.

Consult yourr Maya manual / built-in help functions if you are having problems finding this, or check you tube for some tutorial video on using Maya to export collada files.

As for the content you obtained from OpenCollada, before you upload content created by others into SL, you need to check the EULA to see  if you are allowed to use it on systems such as SL, taking into account WHAT you intend using it for.

For example of the EULA for a mesh found on the web states you can modify for your own non commercial use, you could not upload it unmodified into SL and sell it in an SL Store.

Check carefully before uploading as getting banned from SecondLife isn't much fun.

You are on the right track.  3D models must be converted to the Collada (.dae) format to be able to upload them to Second Life.  But be sure that you have permission to do that.  Many 3D assets are not in the public domain, and can only be licensed for certain uses.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.