Does somebody have a pricelist of all mesh bodies in second life?

isawales

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had dreadful experiences with one popular brand. I think it's only available in-world -- at least that's where I bought it, so I can't leave a Marketplace review to warn others about it. But I don't think I can mention the brand here without violating the ToS.

Here's one tip, though: I've had pretty good luck with Slink Physique (I use the male avatar). It's fairly complex to operate, but it's undergone several upgrades, and the new version makes it much easier to use Materials properties (normal- and specular-maps) on the mesh surfaces. I'm not sure if any other bodies even have this ability -- I'm sure some do not -- and it's pretty essential for good results, especially for machinima where baked skin highlights look embarrassingly fake. It's weird that this feature, which is make-or-break to me, doesn't seem to be listed in mesh body comparison charts.

Oh, heh, my intended point was to encourage folks to check to be sure you're using the latest version of your mesh body. At least that one brand made substantial improvements to both the mesh and the user experience with recent updates.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Here's one tip, though: I've had pretty good luck with Slink Physique (I use the male avatar). It's fairly complex to operate, but it's undergone several upgrades, and the new version makes it much easier to use Materials properties (normal- and specular-maps) on the mesh surfaces. I'm not sure if any other bodies even have this ability -- I'm sure some do not -- and it's pretty essential for good results, especially for machinima where baked skin highlights look embarrassingly fake. It's weird that this feature, which is make-or-break to me, doesn't seem to be listed in mesh body comparison charts.

In all probability, the main reasons that most mesh bodies do not make a big song and dance about support for specular highlits are that:

1. Most content creators in SL have NO idea how to properly use specular settings.

2. The most common flavour of applier, didn't support specular in its original version, there is now an advanced version that does, but... see point 1

3. so far the main uses for specular on mesh bodies is "body oil" and "kinky latex", so a lot of self styled "mainstream" body users simply don't want to bother with it.

4. For a large part of the brief history of mesh bodies in SL, most users wore them with system heads, so they could have their own unique face rather than being stamped out plastic barbies from a factory. Adding specular shine to your skin looks bloody awful if your head is still matt finish.

5. Most people in SL do not make machinima.

6. Not all skins have horrendous backed in highlights that look like they were applied with a 4 inch housepainters brush and a bucket of whitewash...

Klytyna wrote:

6. Not all skins have horrendous backed in highlights that look like they were applied with a 4 inch housepainters brush and a bucket of whitewash...

Ah, so you don't have a male avatar!

Just kidding. To slightly tighten-up my drivel: It's not only machinima, but anything where there's relative motion among the avatar surface, lights, and camera -- which is even just normal use of the platform. Where it really does not matter is still photography. That is, the specific way of looking "embarrassingly fake" that I'm talking about isn't so much a function of the merits of a diffusemap's baked shadows, but rather that whatever those shadows are, they don't shift realistically with respect to camera and lighting, so however artfully they're painted, they're still evidently painted-on.

The "body oil" level of shine is indeed a problem, and I confess that my early attempts with Slink's body were sad specimens. And yeah, it did look slightly odd with the (classic) head not being "oiled" -- but at least I learned to carefully grade the specularmap away from the neck seam. Anyway, now it's a simple adjustment to change the specular properties to imitate not oil but just the healthy sheen of RL skin -- so much easier than futzing with the -map's specular exponent -- that was a tremendous pain.

To be honest, though, I probably would never have bothered with the specularmap at all if I weren't already having great fun with the Slink body's normalmap. This was something I used to imitate with classic skin tattoos using crude baked shading to imitate customized body details, beyond the avatar's geometry. It's just fabulous to be able to instead customize with the much more realistic normalmaps, without having to add actual geometric complexity to the avatar itself.

Qie Niangao wrote:  Ah, so you don't have a male avatar!

[snip]

To be honest, though, I probably would never have bothered with the specularmap at all if I weren't already having great fun with the Slink body's
normal
map. This was something I used to imitate with classic skin tattoos using crude baked shading to imitate customized body details, beyond the avatar's geometry. It's just fabulous to be able to instead customize with the much more realistic normalmaps, without having to add actual geometric complexity to the avatar itself.

*chuckles*

Oompah Loompah Dippity Deee!

Please buy a bad skin only from me!

Oompah Loompah Dippity Do!

Wear orange spray tan like the T*llaq men do!

But seriously, there are plenty of femail skins that look like the wearers were smacked in the bouth with a baseball bat dipped in white paint as they left the skin store before their botox injections had set,  Hidious over highlighted Trout-Pouts, usually on body shapes that look like the wearer had spent 6 months sitting astride an 8 inch wide plank with their ankles chained a yard apart, before having 5 gallons of recycled hollywood celebrity cellulite injected into their ass with a diesel powered fire hose...

As for using normal mapping, specular is what really makes normal mapping "pop".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.