Where did you get your username from?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm curious to hear what everyone based their username on.

Harmony Breaker was originally what I was going to name my avi and though I used it, but in the end I moved away from her and created different characters. Regardless I got the name 'Harmony' from a pairing/ship name during my teenage years that I was really into, and 'Breaker' from circuit breakers because back then I was learning about electrical things. 

Not the most interesting origin story, but it's mine so I embrace it. How about yours?

Amethyst was a screen named I used for years before coming to SL. 

My last name was picked from a list ages ago.  On the day I joined SL for some reason the list was shorter than usual and the names on it weren't on the list long, mine just a few days.  Back then last names were mostly made up by Lindens.  On the day I joined it seemed to be one of least silly ones on the list.

Some of my alts were just for fun...when we had last names, you could get quite witty. I've seen Peppermint and Pepperment Twist, Sufferingfrom Lockjaw, Amniotic and Scrotal Sac (though those were deleted fairly quickly), Widget Engineer, Sinfuldelight Fiul, just to name a few. One girl has the first name of her avi the same as her RL name but in bianary, though it's missing the last 10. 

I like the name Rhonda. I grew up in a small town so when someone has a last name right next to your alphabetically you get to sit next to them for 12 years :smileylol:  Anyway, I sat next to Rhonda a lot.  My name is boring so I used her's.  Huntress sounded like a good last name from the list when I made this account.

I went through several accounts for various reasons (poor memory being among them) before clicking with Rhonda Huntress.  I used a masculine form of my RL name once near the beginning but most were just names I liked for no real reason at all.

Did you ever play Sims 2?

You're in the CAS ('create a sim' for the non simmers amongst you), and you'rfe just crafted this stunning looking sim from the 5.9 gb of custom skin clothes hair etc in your sims 2 downloads folder, and... what to put as the name...

I made one called Kleo Klytyna,  I rather liked that sim, was sad when I lost her along with the neighborhood she was in during a hardware problem.

Eventually, she lived again... In SL.

Meanwhile, a couple of people I used to know who vanished from SL...

One had wanted to use an obscure spelling of an obscure female name from Arthurian myth, but it was taken, so she made up a name with similar spellingand celtic feel to it, then when she googled for it, she discovered it was an actual expression in Welsh.

The other made an oriental avi, and chose a fake jokey chinese name that sounds quiie smutty, she did this apparently because near her home there was a chinese takeaway called "Fu Kwai", but all the locals mispronounced it by moving the space one character to the right, and she thought  a similar 'fake chinese name would be funny...

I remember seeing somebody with a snobby chip on their shoulder mock said joke name and ask why anyone would use it, to which my aquaintance replied...

"Well I was going to call my self Govenor Linden, but apparently that name is already in use, quell surprise!"

My first name is a mash-up i was going to use my name but couldn't have it then i thought i'd go for the name of the next female singer to come on the radio at the time which i almost comitted to then for some reason i decided to mash up the two names my last name i chose because it was the only one on the list i could either pronounce, remember to spell or liked.
I do have an alt with the last name of Ghost and i used SLnamewatch.com to find a registration service that would let me get it as it was during the period when avatar ghosting was a problem and i used to get ghosted quite a bit 

Katt from Kathleen, my real name.

Kattatonia from cataonic, the way I felt because I suffer from Clinical depression now treated somewhat sucessfully with medication. Wickentower because ot Wicca and the tower struck by lightning from the Tarot signifying change.

Kali from the hindu Goddess of death destruction and change. Wylder because she is wilder than my first av,  Kattatonia.

When I first joined SL it was just out of curiosity and I didn't give that much thought to choosing my name.  So I chose Conifer because that's a name I was using on an internet forum at the time.  And I think chose Conifer for that other forum because we'd been cutting back a conifer hedge in our garden at the time and I probably had the lingering smell of conifer cuttings. But that was quite a long time ago!   I suppose I chose Dada as a surname from the list that was provided at the time just because it appealed more than any of the others - I don't really remember!

I decided on my initials first, and then came up with a name that matched. It took me about three days, but given that it's the longest-running, most consistant name I've ever been known by I think this is justified. FM was nice and smart, lots of straight lines. Both my present real-life name and the name I was using at the time have their own initials related to the shape of 'FM'.

Mokusei is Japanese for Jupiter (literally, 'wooden planet' 'cause Jupiter looks like woodgrain a bit, I suppose). Jupiter's my favourite planet, the great protector and moody storm-haver. The surname was also delightfully-close to Mokujin ('wooden person'), a Tekken video game character who was made from wood and could adopt any possible fighting style - which parallels my high level of empathy toward those around me, and my [mostly now replaced] habits of mimicry.

Freya is more complicated. The aesthetic and sounding was one big part - the dip of the y below the line along with the friendly-sounding 'ey ya' at the end. I drew it from Der Ring des Nibelungen, a series of dramas by Richard Wagner, whom I've been strongly influenced by since I can remember. Originally it comes from Freia/Freyja, a Norse goddess who was associated with sex, war and death (a lady who knows how to party!). She goes by several different names, cares for wounded soldiers and desperately searches for those close to her whom she's lost - all elements that I relate to strongly.

I suppose I should've prefaced this by saying that I'm prone to over-thinking things. But it works well for me by combining two cultures that have great interest to me. I've had a bunch of people try and guess the origins of my name, often with some success. I'm told it suits me well, even if I feel it's a little too 'femme' when compared against my life-path since deciding on it, in 2006.

Thanks for asking! :-)

I was going to use my actual name Talitha, but it was taken, so then I thought how about Talligirl instead, then I thought I would get different with the spelling. Now I wish I had put more thought into it, Thank goodness for display names.

Talking about inventive names, two names I remember from my early days, both probably long gone from SL, are Ugliestbloke Electricteeth and Vomitdoll Lockjaw !  I didn't know these people, I just remember the names.

I did very, very briefly have an alt with a silly name.  Years go on these forums someone started a thread inviting people who had never posted on the forums before to say something.  So I created an alt called Forumsinglepost Artful, made one post on that thread then immediately afterwards cancelled that account.

I just wanted a name that sounded vaguely exotic and ethnic so I picked Kasshiki from the list of last names. Deej (from D.J. my RL nickname and pronounced 'Deezh') seemed to go well with it although these days with all the people around calling themselves DJ this or that, if I had to do it over again I'd have likely gone with something different.

My user name is basically BLAKE (pronounced the same too.) but it uses a capital "i" instead of an "L" and a "y" instead of an "A".

I used the user name because not only does it look cool but it's a name I've always fancied.

Callum Meriman wrote:

BIyke wrote:

it uses a capital "i" instead of an "L"

I hope not too many of your future friends will gift expensive purchases to the wrong person Biyke.

Ha Ha yeah right, he is supposed to be the one doing the gifting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.