Ubuntu 16.04 No sound at all?

Whiteface101

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First check I do is to try playing a sound locally. but that's usually a more Windows-oriented check. Linux is far more reliable/ On the other hand, I have had a speaker fail.

I can't even get the SL viewer for Linux to run, and I was told, when I asked Support, that it was an unsupported beta, so I don't bpther with it. Firestorm and Cool VL Viewer both work fine. Their Linux versions just install and run

I assume you are using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 16.04? You'll need to install some 32 bit libraries. If you'll check out my answer (detailed) on the post in this Forum, "Community Support" where is it?     Your audio issue will be solved! IF you need further help feel free to contact me via this  Forum.

"I Love Simplicity"

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 5:15 AM, LinuxGod4u said:

IF you are using Ubuntu 14.04 x64, Ubuntu 16.04 x64 or Linux Mint 18 Sarah x64 & wish to use the latest Secondlife - Linux viewer please check out my detailed answer to the Forum post: "Community Support" where is it? 

"I Love Simplicity"

a link to this post would be helpful

*only* If you are using the 32 bit version of Firestorm... http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/32-bit_firestorm_in_64-bit_ubuntu is likely worth following.

If not, you chose the 64 bit version, have you checked the volume and hardware output device in pavucontrol?

And if you are not using firestorm.. then some more detail will help. What viewer, what specific flavour of ubuntu and so on. 

Edited by Callum Meriman

• 11 months later...

I have found something essential

1- launch your Firestorm / Secondlife  through the terminal and you will get debugging logs on the terminal window.

I found the issue with audio engine not being able to start and googling that I found that Firestorm JIRA post was made regarding not using local libopenal libraries by deleting them and symbolic links in the lib directory. this will force the viewer to use the system's open al libraries instead and restore audio. 

Reference:   https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16727

Hope this helps folks out there!

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.