Community Tools User Group Meeting Transcript - 2011-04-07

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Void Singer wrote:

I may have shot myself in the foot on definitions.... my intention was both in the header, and legacy names in the text.

reasoning example:

this week user John.Doe has a displayname of "John Doe Lives!", next week, they show up with a display name of "Kïllêr Klðwñ £rðm Öµ†êr §þå¢ê" (which may have trouble being parsed on a web page) or "Darrius Gothly"(problematic impersonation).... if I'm reading the transcripts, the only way I know that John Doe is the same person is to reference the attendees list.... and if more than one person has the same display name, there's absolutely no way to tell who is who... so it makes much more sense to record them as "John Doe" in the chat register.

A good example from the test transcript is "COCOON". Reading the transcript you have no clue who that is. Hmmm ... lemme stew on that for a bit and see what I can conjure up. I see your point, just not sure how to wedge it all in without making it "top heavy" too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried just putting the title hovertip over the speaker's name without the link, but the mouse cursor stays at the I-Beam .. and that just looks oogly (to me). So I went ahead and made it a link so you'd get the proper mouse cursor and the hovertip title.

Void Singer wrote:

fwiw you've got my vote on it.

Thank you Void. I very much appreciate the feedback.

heh I was just thinking use the legacy names, but if I understand how you're running this, it's a strict rich text log paste, so it only has info from whatever view mode the transcriptionist was in.... so that info wouldn't be available unless they had display names turned off.

Void Singer wrote:

heh I was just thinking use the legacy names, but if I understand how you're running this, it's a strict rich text log paste, so it only has info from whatever view mode the transcriptionist was in.... so that info wouldn't be available unless they had display names turned off.

Correct .. the total "knowledge" the script has is contained in the raw log pasted into it. If display names are turned off .. well .. it gets icky.

Darrius,

Sorry for the delay in replying...got super busy!

This is looking really nice.  Well done!   I think it would be a great community service to provide this tool for general use and even better if you could find a server somewhere on which to "webify" it (i.e. similar to slog.whiz-kids.de).  Know any of the folks listed in the Chat Log Wikifier page?

I could potentially ask to get some space on an LL server somewhere, but they keep them pretty well locked down for security reasons, and it might take some time to get it done.  Definitely quicker and easier to find an external host somewhere.

Thanks again for all your work!

Rand

Rand Linden wrote:

Darrius,

Sorry for the delay in replying...got super busy!

This is looking really nice.  Well done!   I think it would be a great community service to provide this tool for general use and even better if you could find a server somewhere on which to "webify" it (i.e. similar to slog.whiz-kids.de).  Know any of the folks listed in the 
 page?

I could potentially ask to get some space on an LL server somewhere, but they keep them pretty well locked down for security reasons, and it might take some time to get it done.  Definitely quicker and easier to find an external host somewhere.

Thanks again for all your work!

Rand

It's already "webified". The link to the tool is posted below the transcript .. but it's http://www.dgp4sl.com/wikify.php5 in case you want a more direct link. Is that what you meant .. have it available to the general public on the web?

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Huh. When I tried that latest version, I did get hovertext but in every case it was your link: Darrius Gothly. Is that a browser issue (IE8)?.

Curious! It must be. I'm on Chrome and get the proper hovertext. When you click the link, which entry in the Attendees list winds up at the top of the window? Mine or the proper one?

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Curious! It must be. I'm on Chrome and get the proper hovertext. When you click the link, which entry in the Attendees list winds up at the top of the window? Mine or the proper one?

Usually yours; I was just clicking at random and a couple of times I seemed to go different places (could have just been me moving the mouse a bit; it was very non-repeatable). In all cases I see Darrius_Gothly (along with your wiki.secondlife.com bits) in the hovertext. When I clicked I jumped to near your name, not highlighted or anything, in the attendee list.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Usually yours; I was just clicking at random and a couple of times I seemed to go different places (could have just been me moving the mouse a bit; it was very non-repeatable). In all cases I see Darrius_Gothly (along with your wiki.secondlife.com bits) in the hovertext. When I clicked I jumped to near your name, not highlighted or anything, in the attendee list.

o.O?!? What is the URL of the page you're looking at? I ask because the text "Darrius_Gothly" (note the underscore) shouldn't appear anywhere on that page.

The one I'm viewing is:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Darrius_Gothly/Community_Tools_User_Group_2011-04-07_Test

(the above link is correct, even though the smiley makes the text display look goofy)

and as a pure matter for curiousity, if the code is simple enough to run from javascript on a text area pasted log, I'm sure I can work out how to host it via shared media

I've been playing around with bootstrapping HTTP-in so that it plays nicely with external browsers.... although so far only have firefox working from V2 (the data: url type is not supported for transport in phoenix, and probably not any current TPV, but I'll ping the phoenix devs and Henri over at cool and see if they'll tweak their webkit versions to support it, should be a minor change)

I don't know if I can make IE support the data: url type, I've locked IE out locally, because I don't use it, though I know IE will support html in plaintext so it may not be an issue.

Void Singer wrote:

and as a pure matter for curiousity, if the code is simple enough to run from javascript on a text area pasted log, I'm sure I can work out how to host it via shared media

I've been playing around with bootstrapping HTTP-in so that it plays nicely with external browsers.... although so far only have firefox working from V2 (the data: url type is not supported for transport in phoenix, and probably not any current TPV, but I'll ping the phoenix devs and Henri over at cool and see if they'll tweak their webkit versions to support it, should be a minor change)

I don't know if I can make IE support the data: url type, I've locked IE out locally, because I don't use it, though I know IE will support html in plaintext so it may not be an issue.

It's PHP code, not Javascript. The page that allows the input of raw log does use some Javascript .. to make the widgets play nice etc., but the actual mongrelfication of the log is done in PHP. (Spitting out Media Wiki format text.)

Never mind. I is an idiot. Just for fun I tried it on a different box with XP Pro (mine is 7 Pro) and all that was happening is that on my view I've got some blanked boxes in that bottom task bar, so in a way, yeah it's a browser thing (the other PC is also using IE8 but it's set up a little differently. It just so happened that the spacing made the entire link cut off exactly at the last letter of your name (didn't even see the foreslash) so I'd no idea I was only seeing half the link displayed in the hovertext.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Never mind. I is an idiot. Just for fun I tried it on a different box with XP Pro (mine is 7 Pro) and all that was happening is that on my view I've got some blanked boxes in that bottom task bar. It just so  happened that the spacing made the entire link cut off
exactly
at the last letter of your name (didn't even see the foreslash) so I'd no idea I was only seeing half the link displayed in the hovertext.

WHEW!! I was starting to go nuts here. Glad to know it's just PEBKAC. Thank you.

(PS: Which is a problem I have never had btw .. as I neevr meak a misatke)

Void Singer wrote:

I meant if the php was simple enough to convert.... yeah it'd run slower, but it'd run locally... was just a thought

Hmm .. good question. Probably the most involved bit of the code is the double-pass to capture the names of everyone that "talks" .. then uses those names to pick up both regular chat and "/me" actions. It's primarily array juggling and pattern matching. Oh .. and the conversion of UTF-8 to HTML entities for the special Unicode characters. (My knowledge of Javascript conversion routines is not too current.)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

(My knowledge of Javascript conversion routines is not too current.)

mine either TBH =/

I stopped messing with javascript back in '02, and only played with it once since then (and then with some assistance)....

I'm doing a little with it now to try and improve the usefulness of http-in for lsl, but I haven't kept up with the times on it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.