Asking for money

Sarah36 Islay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Sarah36 Islay wrote:

How come you  get an IM pop up and someone begging for money and lots of others get involved - often telling that person to get a job or worse. How do they know your name especially if you have never heard of them before.

That's probably a group chat. Sometimes it will be a multi-person IM sent to everyone around them too. Just close the conversation after it opens and that should shut it up.

• Like 2

Just like any other form of spam, it is not directed at you personally.  They cover groups of names and yours happened to be in one of those groups.

If you would lend me 12,000 L$ to pay rent and feed my 18 starving children I could tell you more about group chat beggars.

(that's a joke.  Don't send me any money ....)

unless you really want to.

• Like 2

They don't know your name, Sarah!

What you are seeing is a "group chat".  When you join a group, you will often have these windows pop up, whenever someone in the group who has the ability to send group messages writes something.  Everyone in the group gets the same message...it's like a huge conference call.

Unfortunately, sometimes beggars join a group and then spam the group with messages hoping to get a handout.  The simplest thing to do is to just close the group chat window.  It won't open again until you log in again and someone sends a message to the group, or you open it yourself manually.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.