Rhino

Audrey Obelyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I can't find that MESH menu but don't have need so not a worry. 

I just fired up Blender. It looks like it's called Rotate Edge CW, Rotate Edge CCW. Which is in the Edge menu (Ctrl+E). Or Mesh (at the Bottom left) > Edges ...
Though, it reqires to have an edge selected to flip it. I haven't found an option to do it like in 3ds Max on a quads mesh.

• Thanks 2

On 6/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Rhinoceros is a NURBS based modeling suite. Therefore the result is going to be converted to a very high polygon model, once imported to another 3d software, which is going to be a problem to import to SL. Your best bet is to try and reduce the imported model in 3dsmax until you get a mesh <65535 vertices, which is the top limit for import in SL

It is NURBS based modelling, yes, but when you convert your model to polys, you can decide exactly how many polys you want, and how the model should be triangulated. It's only high-poly if you have selected it to become high poly!

Rhino has nice poly reduction tools as well, so i don't understand the need for exporting it to 3dsmax.

Rhino has still plenty of shortcommings, but i think we could stick to the actual shortcomings it has, not start inventing them.

1 hour ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

Rhino has nice poly reduction tools as well, so i don't understand the need for exporting it to 3dsmax.

That's what someone was saying about poly reduction, so i just followed up. On the other hand, I don't understand why should one use Rhino instead of learning Maya or 3dsmax or Blender

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

That's what someone was saying about poly reduction, so i just followed up. On the other hand, I don't understand why should one use Rhino instead of learning Maya or 3dsmax or Blender

If learning a program to use in SL, on their own, i wouldn't advise to pick up Rhino either.

If leaning from scratch? i'd definitely go with Maya or Blender. You will need to learn a bit Blender anyhow if you want to export anything from Rhino.

But if someone is already learning Rhino in school and are getting significantly proficient in it, why not continue? Just use another program to cover up for Rhinos shortcomings. It's still less to learn than a whole program. Rhino is really nice once you figure out the logic of how it's built and how the functions work.  Then it's as simple to build as it is saying what you want to do.

Edited by Lexbot Sinister

10 hours ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

Then it's as simple to build as it is saying what you want to do.

The same goes for Maya. Once you get the hang of it, the Options windows of each tool is exactly like talking to Maya and say what you want.

5 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

The same goes for Maya. Once you get the hang of it, the Options windows of each tool is exactly like talking to Maya and say what you want.

I mean you literally say what you want to do, in that it's very similar to CAD, but with better syntax.

So say i want to make a box. I write... "box" and rhino tells me to pick the first corner of my box (the default setting) but also allows me to pick some other options, like creating from center, vertical , etc. So now i have my box but i want to rotate it... So i write "rotate". Then i want to twist my box so i write that, and Rhino asks me for first point of axis, end of twist axis, then a few alternatives of how to go about the twisting.

When i write a command, Rhino shows a couple of other commands with similar wording, in case i actually meant something else, from a drop-down list.

The beauty of this, is that the program is starting to teach you to verbally form your thoughts on how to achieve a certain shape. If you can say it, you can make it!

If you want to do an action that you aren't sure exists, you can try and write it- and Rhino will guide you along, both in finding it, and how to go about making it work.

Rhino is basically the " scribblenauts" of 3d modelling software.

Everything is available as menus and pictograms too, so you can do the same thing in a multitude of ways by clicking icons, but verbally expressing what you want to do is actually faster and more intuitive, from my experience. Icons in all their glory of course, but when you try to look for one you don't even know if it exists or not, maybe it will show what you want to do in a clear way..... just typing what you want to do is superior.

Now having said that, Maya has a lot more to offer than Rhino. If i had to learn it all over, i would pick Maya any day to spend my energy on. But that doesn't take away from how fun Rhino can be to use.

That looks quite a bit more convoluted than in Rhino. I think you are missing my point.

You LITERALLY write "box" in the command line, and then rhino guides you step by step to how to make it.  NOT a script line with specific syntax. Rhino takes care of that on it's own, it just asks you questions.

Edit: Optimo, have you actually used Rhino, or seen Rhino used? It feels like we are comparing apples to oranges, and i find it disturbing that people who have no clue how rhino works, what it's capable of and not, have to come and tell us all about it, in a Rhino dedicated thread.

CreatePolygonCube is LITERALLY the only command, then a creation window appears for the parameters, get them right and click create button. The script editor then "echoes" the command in MEL scripting language (echo between quotes because it's the Maya term for "show the corresponding script line"). If i wanted a NURBS cube, CreateNURBSCube would be the command, parameters window again, etc etc.... But there are buttons for these things already, so it's not that necessary and very much neglected feature, in Maya.

1 hour ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

Edit: Optimo, have you actually used Rhino, or seen Rhino used? It feels like we are comparing apples to oranges, and i find it disturbing that people who have no clue how rhino works, what it's capable of and not, have to come and tell us all about it, in a Rhino dedicated thread.

I used Rhino in the past and have seen good users at it. If you read my previous posts intently, you won't find anything like what you say i did, telling you how it works. I never did. The only thing i said is that it's a NURBS based modeling package, i also answered

On 28/6/2018 at 11:13 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Rhinoceros is a NURBS based modeling suite. Therefore the result is going to be converted to a very high polygon model, once imported to another 3d software, which is going to be a problem to import to SL. Your best bet is to try and reduce the imported model in 3dsmax until you get a mesh <65535 vertices, which is the top limit for import in SL

to this post here

On 28/6/2018 at 12:07 PM, Krystle Poikolainen said:

I've tried going via 3ds Max and applying the multi/sub-object treatment, but after using the FBX file converter the resulting dae file will not upload to SL.

and i just explained what most likely happens when you import a NURBS and automated polygon conversion is on (like it happens in Maya, also Autodesk software as 3DSMax),  why the SL import failed (the vertices limit) and added a few words on triangulation, edge flipping for Chic who asked about it and a few other polygon related things.

So where exactly have you read me telling anyone HOW Rhino works?

Now that we've found a Rhino user, we can yield the floor and have a better explanation about Rhino in a Rhino thread.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Optimo, you previous posts about Rhino generating high-poly mesh that needs to be taken to another software for reduction certainly made me think you never touched it before.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Also the feature you describe for Maya is nothing like the one like in Rhino. Just because both use commands, doesn't mean it's the same, or even comparable.

CreateNURBSCube < box

Again, i'm not advocating the use of Rhino for SL- i haven't found a way to make compatible UV mapping. Had some limited luck with Planar. Nor can you do any rigging.  But just like all other software, it's evolving. Zbrush wasn't good for anything in SL either, not too long ago.  And Marvelous designer, same there.

Who knows what extensions Rhino might have in the future, i wouldn't count it out. I think the logic of how the functions operate are brilliant, and easy to follow.

5 hours ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

Optimo, you previous posts about Rhino generating high-poly mesh that needs to be taken to another software for reduction certainly made me think you never touched it before.

First of all, i said that i used it in the past, during my master in 2010. At the time, only NURBS were fully supported. Then again, re-read more intently: i did NOT say that Rhino generates high poly mesh, i said that a NURBS, once imported to another software, translate into a high poly mesh and that was most likely the cause of that issue.

5 hours ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

CreateNURBSCube < box

CreateNURBSCube >>>> box, only because you say "create" and you can specify what type and then the shape right out of a command. This is LITERALLY telling a software what to do :) not to mention that "box" is no geometry name, Cube is.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.