Listing Enhancements: Service or Lotery?

Belzebubble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I pay monthly for listing enhancements on the homepage but I never actually seen one display myself. The stats say there's being clicked on sometimes but I can refresh the home page 100 times i see the same advertisements over and over but never one of mine. Some adds from other sellers ads show up at least 5 out of 10 page refreshements. Doesnt matter if I'm logged in or out or from which pc/ip I do it. I asked friends to keep an eye open, I got one report in two months. I asked a few buyers they all told me they didnt find my products through the adds but through search. 

Is there really some kind of system behind how the advertisemnets are selected or is this pure random? is it a service or a lotery?

3 answers to this question

This question comes up here several times a year.  As far as I am aware, the problem is simply that there are so many ad placements that the probability of seeing a specific one when you are looking for it is very low.  You are dealing with statistics of random selection.  Personally, I never pay any attention at all to the listing enhancements in Marketplace.  I find them an annoying distraction when I am looking for something else, so I couldn't tell you whose ads are up there at all.  Whenever the topic has come up in conversation, I've heard the same thing from other people as well.

• Like 3

This is a very good question and I recommend you repost it in the merchant's forum here so we can discuss it in depth.

But a few quick answers:

Belzebubble wrote:

I asked a few buyers they all told me they didnt find my products through the adds but through search.

In that case, cancel the listing enhancements. Even if the ads are displayed every now and then, if they don't generate enough sales, they're a waste of money.

Belzebubble wrote:

Is there really some kind of system behind how the advertisemnets are selected or is this pure random?

It's not pure random but as far as I know, there are no indications of foul play either - at least not recently. One thing that is certain, is that selection is semirandom, that is once an ad has made it to the shortlist of ads considered for display, it stays there for at least a few minutes. So if you refresh the page at short intervals, you are very likely to see the same ads over and over again. With the vast number of ads and the limited number of placements there's very little chance your ad happens to be one of the favored ones at just the time you check. This is of course far from ideal but in theory it should even out in the long run so it's not necessarily unacceptable either.

Belzebubble wrote:

is it a service or a lotery?

Neither. It's a way for LL to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the merchants. With serious web page ad services you pay for the number of impressions, not a fixed fee with no guarantees.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.