I'm new to SL

WhiteBoi360

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all. First day here, wanting to get started out on the right foot, but this seems overwealming so far and a bit too advanced than the other simulations I've tried out.   It will just take me a tad longer to get up to speed here. I'm fairly tech savy..   But was curious  if anyone had any free time to meet up with me in game to maybe show me around and answer a few questions.   I guess just add me in game and PM me there, or I'll check back and forth

Thanks

Welcome!   I'm still pretty new after about 6 months ...  and sadly (and I do mean sadly)  I'm at work right now - or I would try to help.

Do a search for Forum Cartel Hangout,  they have a lot of nice things for new residents & if you are lucky - someone will be there to help you a bit.

Don't give up, it gets easier ... I was pretty overwhelmed at first too.  If you are still around when I get in world tonight,  I'd be happy to try and help in anyway I can.

Good luck!!

wow thanks for the fast replies everyone.  Yea I used to enjoy games like this.. making a bunch of friends.. was a really good experience to feel apart of something. But sadly all the games I have played they took down. I did stumble on SL a few years back but I was so lost and confused and didn't really feel like putting in the time again..  But now I feel I am ready to get back into the virtual world lol

Look forward to running into you all  =)

I have a blog with answers to many common questions newcomers ask in Second Life.  Here is the table of contents.

http://thinkerer.org/SLintChan/SLiHoboKitonWeb.htm

Take a look and see if I have answered your question.  If you have any other questions, look me up in search:

Thinkerer.Melville 

Here is how to find people

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/01/kit-people-how-do-i-find-people.html

Or drop over to theHobo Helpers HQ on Cookie and pick up a copy of the inworld Hobo Kit from the poster giver in the corner.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cookie/136/102/22

Welcome to SL and the forum!  We all were new once and each of us have different and similar experiences.  Be patient with yourself and the rest of SL and you will do fine.  The forum can be a great resource for questions you have (do a search first to see if anyone has asked it already please!).  I will suggest a few cool places to visit (do a search on these):

Inspire Space

A.M. Radio

Ode (sim)

Athan (sim)

For the sims, open your map and enter the name of the sim and the map will show you the sim, then click teleport and you will be taken there.  Enjoy!

Thnx all!    I am learning my way around and moving.. that seems easy enough..   just having a rough time with my appearance right now lol.  Found some freebies tho..    just alot of editing options 

for instance, I got this hat.. but I selected the attach to option.. and I selected my nose,  just to be silly to see if he would wear it on his face..  but he didnt..   it just positioned it weird above his head..   now everytime I select wear, it places it there..

how do I get it back on his head properly?

also, and good appearance thread links would probably help me a TON

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Second Life, and the forums!

I found the video tutorials made by Torley Linden of great help to me (I still do more than three years along).

If you click on the link below, and look at the selection of videos that comes up on the right hand side of the screen, I'm sure you'll get lots of really useful instruction/information about some of the basic things you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Secondlife#p/c/D237D0E11AC1F341

WhiteBoi360 wrote:

for instance, I got this hat.. but I selected the attach to option.. and I selected my nose,  just to be silly to see if he would wear it on his face..  but he didnt..   it just positioned it weird above his head..   now everytime I select wear, it places it there..

how do I get it back on his head properly?

If it was a freebie and you have a vague idea of where you found it, go back and get a new one to 'wear' normally. That's often the simplest fix.

Any information on position has to be set by someone. Creators usually do this when they're testing out a new creation. The object can only have one set position at a time.

'Wear' retains the object's last position information. With a new-to-you object, that will be whatever position information the creator or last owner left it with when s/he boxed it up for sale. With an object you've changed the position on, it will be the last position you had it in.

'Attach to' removes all of that information. The object floats some distance away and you have to position it correctly. (It's better that the default position be farther out because small objects can get lost inside the avatar body and are tricky to locate when you're not used to the controls.)

In your case, the last position information is that floating in space position (or wherever you moved it to). So when you 'Wear' it, that's the position it uses. It attaches automatically to your nose and floats in space. "Wear' it, then move it in any direction. Take it off, then re-wear to test - it will stay in the last position you set it to.

If the last position is in front of the face, that's the position it will appear in when 'worn' again. 

So now you have two choices - reposition the hat to wherever you like or get another one.

For the future, many items can be copied. Look for a 'Copy' option in the same menu as the 'Attach to', click on that and then 'Paste' the copy into an inventory folder. This way you'll have one copy with the creator's position information and one that you can move around however you want.

An easy fix might be to detach it and try attaching it to another place. Most hats are attached either to the head or one of the ears, so start there.

Hope this helps... Dres

ETA: Here's a good site to get ideas and learn about mens fashion in SL. Be sure to check out the list of links to other blogs on that page.

This one is specifically for mens freebies.

For anyone under 14 days, use Search to find a store called Amacci's and teleport there. Look for the "Poses and AOs' building (signs on the ground will point you in the right direction). Once in that building, look on the right hand wall for a sign that says something like "Free AOs for Under 14 Days'. Then click on either the male or female sign underneath. (Or both, if you're flexible that way.)

You'll need to find a place (like a sandbox) to unbox it. After that, you can wear it and it will give you a nicer walk and stand.

From what I've seen, it's by far the best free walk/stand AO (animation override, don't worry about understanding that yet - just get the gadget :-) ) in SL, but you have to get it within your first 14 days. Otherwise it's 400 Lindens.

If you can't figure this out, feel free to look for me in search and send me a friend request or IM. Welcome to SL.

(If anyone knows of a better one, would you kindly let me know? I have the Fab Free card already. Thx.)

WhiteBoi360 wrote:

Hey all. First day here, wanting to get started out on the right foot, but this seems overwealming so far and a bit too advanced than the other simulations I've tried out.   It will just take me a tad longer to get up to speed here. I'm fairly tech savy..   But was curious  if anyone had any free time to meet up with me in game to maybe show me around and answer a few questions.   I guess just add me in game and PM me there, or I'll check back and forth

Thanks

Oh to be new again!  LOL!  Hippie thinks way back!  Sure!  Contact me in world.  I would be happy to show you some of the ropes!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.