Set position coordinates in Poser

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know how I can set or see the position coordinates of the figure in Poser 7, like the X, Y, Z coordinates? For example if I want to shift the avatar around 20 coordinates left at the start of the pose, or if I want to move the avatar 20 coordinates underground, or if I simply want to reset the position to 0, 0, 0? I can't seem to find where I can see the coordinates.

Thanks.

Short version: The joint or body part that determines the avatar position are the hips. Click them, and you'll see parameter dials to move the avatar.

Long-winded version: Make sure that the parameter dials window is shown (you can show or hide it in the Window menu), and disable inverse kinematics under "Figure --> Use Inverse Kinematics --> Left Leg / Right Leg". Otherwise the feet will remain glued to the spot when you move the avatar around.

Now click the hip region of the avatar figure and switch to the Parameters tab in the dials window. You can change the avatar's position with the "move right - left / down - up / backwards - forwards" dials.

PS: If you use Poser mostly for SL work, you can automate the above steps by setting a scene with the SL avatar as default state. Create a new empty document, rez one or both of the SL avatar models, set the number of frames to two (ideal for static poses; you can always add more frames if you want to create a longer animation), and turn inverse kinematics off, which has to be done separately for each model.

Then go to Edit --> General Preferences and click the "Set Preferred State" button. The next time you start Poser, it will start up with the current scene and settings. And with the same window positions, which means that this is also a great way to arrange the UI elements to your liking.

• Like 1

Thanks!

It turns out I had inverse kinematics enabled, and had parameters hidden.

Is it possible to reset or change the coordinates of an entire animation? For example these circumstances:

- If the avatar is off-center by let's say 20 coordinates for all 200 frames of the animation, I'd like to reset all frames back to (0, 0, 0)

Or

- If the avatar is off-center by 20 coordinates at frame 2, then the (x, y, z) coordinates change to various numbers during the animation (for instance, if the avatar does backflips, both x and z coordinates will change), I'd like to add (20, 0, 20) to every single frame, thus keeping the animation exactly the way it was but simply moving the avatar forward by 20 and elevating her by 20

If you ask me, I'd break my pc before I did all that in Poser, lol. What I would do is save the bvh in poser, then open it in SLat and edit it there. Yeah, it is possible in poser, and maybe I'm just not comfortable with poser.

For SL, the only thing I use poser for, is converting skeletons. Really tho, I only do that for converting my SL bvh files to other skeletons for other platforms. My mocap system allows me to import any bvh, so I generally use the SL bvh files to start with and edit with. SLat is just a super fast editor to use. If I could edit the skeletons in SLat, then I would never use Poser.... probably.

• Like 1

Medhue Simoni wrote:

If you ask me, I'd break my pc before I did all that in Poser, lol. What I would do is save the bvh in poser, then open it in
SLat
and edit it there. Yeah, it is possible in poser, and maybe I'm just not comfortable with poser.

For SL, the only thing I use poser for, is converting skeletons. Really tho, I only do that for converting my SL bvh files to other skeletons for other platforms. My mocap system allows me to import any bvh, so I generally use the SL bvh files to start with and edit with.
SLat
is just a super fast editor to use. If I could edit the skeletons in SLat, then I would never use Poser.... probably.

So SLat is capable of doing the coordinates shifting like I mentioned? I did a search and didn't find any results for this SLat, is it a program in SL or a standalone software?

Yes, and I think it is alot easier in SLat.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-bvh-editor/

There is the link to download it. I, personally, do not use this version. It is considerably different. For better or worse, I have no opinion other than the obvious. To get the verison I use, just IM me inworld with your email address and I will send it to you.

I also have some really bad slat tutorial videos on youtube. I think you can find them by searching for medhue slat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.