Unable to log in with a viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, everyone! I'm trying to log in to SecondLife, but I receive the error "media_plugin_webkit has failed".. and if i ignore that, It requires that i agree to the license agreement, which is blank and has the "agree" box faded out... this occurs on the most-recent versions of Snowglobe, SecondLife Viewer, and PhoenixViewer... I'm on 64-bit Linux... what can i do to remedy this?

The programs are below:
SecondLife for Linux: 2.6.1(upgraded from 2.5.1)
Snowglobe for Linux: 1.4.2.3626
PhoenixViewer for Linux: 1.5.2.908

My system stats: Mandriva Linux x86_64 2010.2 (64-bit), 4 GB of RAM, AMD Phenom-II X6 1055T at 2.8 GHz with an AMD Radeon HD 4290 on-board graphics card.

Yes, I understand you :)

The solution (annoying but useful) is to download and install the 1.23.5 viewer ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers#Viewer_1.23 ). It is not necessary uninstall your actual Viewer.

Launch the viewer 12.23 and accept the TOS. After that you will can run normally the Viewer 2 or other.

It's a known bug (afect randomly to some people and systems), see (and comment, any comment help) https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-18705

In any case:

* Check you have the latest full version of Flash Player (including the player for Firefox/Safari), Adobe Flash Player, and Quicktime and Java.

*Also that Enable Plugins, Accept Cookies, and Enable Javascript are all checked in Preferences > Setup.

Irene is right. What she is saying has been the solution for a lot of people who have had problems with the TOS on launch of the application.

However, I wonder if your issue could be something similar to what I experienced, on a Mac, with the previous upgrade of the viewer; I got the same error message, and did not see any html content in windows where it was suppose to be used.

The solution was to change the access rights to the secondlife (or snowglobe/phoenix) program folder, and all subfolders/files to read/wright for the group assigned to it. I wonder if this will help in your case too. Perhaps you could try it and reply back.

- Luc -

that brings an even more odd error when i try using it as either my user account (user) or as root:

[user@localhost secondlife-1.23.5.136262]$ ./secondlife
64-bit Linux detected: Disabling GStreamer (streaming video and music) by default; edit ./secondlife to re-enable.
Running from /opt/SecondLife-i686-1.23.5.136262
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with KDE: Directory /home/user/.kde/share/services does not exist.
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown. ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

This is a BETA release of the Second Life linux client.
Thank you for testing!
Please see README-linux.txt before reporting problems.

[user@localhost secondlife-1.23.5.136262]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost secondlife-1.23.5.136262]# ./secondlife
64-bit Linux detected: Disabling GStreamer (streaming video and music) by default; edit ./secondlife to re-enable.
Running from /opt/SecondLife-i686-1.23.5.136262
Error setting value: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details —  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with GNOME: gconftool-2 failed.
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with KDE: Directory /root/.kde/share/services does not exist.
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown. ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

This is a BETA release of the Second Life linux client.
Thank you for testing!
Please see README-linux.txt before reporting problems.

----

Please note that i have secondlife and so on installed in /opt/, as that is where i put most of my optional, non-bundled linux software, like Adobe Reader, Flock, Firefox, and so on... does it need to be in a different location?  i have it there so my user accounts can access it.. i'll move it to /home/user/bin/ if needed... though it should have worked when i ran it as root, as well.. yet it did not, so i doubt it's an access/permissions issue, since root is the owner of the folder.

I have the latest version of Flash Player (libflashplayer.so, version 10.2), and Java (1.6.0 update 24).  As for quicktime... i'm on linux... i don't think there's a linux version of quicktime available...

From the logs you posted, there seem to be an issue with viewer 1.23 being 32 bit. But, then again, I'm not familiar with Linux, so I could be very wrong. I did, however, try to have a look in the SL wiki to see if I could find any reference to a 64 bit Linux version of the program, but I did not find anything.

The logs mentioned something about 32 bit compatibility libraries. Anything you could try in regards to these?

- Luc -

well.. that page directs me to the current viewer download...

I've tested the x64 version of Imprudence, and lo and behold.. it WORKS.  I get the terms of service notification and can log in.. and i get no "media_plugin_webkit failed" errors!

I think this might be a 32-bit/64-bit issue...

as far as reporting the issue or submitting a ticket.. i could not find an appropriate category to submit it as...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.