Making bento av. Rigged hair appearing halfway inside head

Shushie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, working on a bento av, I moved the default joint positions, so it's a custom bento skeleton. Everything works fine now, except that rigged mesh hair appears halfway inside the head (happens with all rigged hair). I've tried raising the skull bone, but that doesn't seem to work?

I'm using Blender and Avastar 2.0.23 (yeah, glitchy, I know. Trying to work around it).

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate that! <3 :o

What you might be looking for isn't the mSkull bone, but instead the HEAD collision volume, which what most mesh hair seems to respond to, so as to respond to head size. In that case, I'd suggest raising that volume bone up and rigging some vertices to it so as to make the changes show up when using joint offsets.

Okay, so If I move the mHead bone up and apply joint positions and everything, the hair appears at a better height. But that also breaks EVERYTHING else on the head, because all the bones shift slightly. Anyone know a solution to this? :<

I cannot promise this will work in Avastar 2.0-23 or at least without difficulty, so maybe this is more for future reference. I did do this personal verison of this example in that particular Avastar version and it worked inworld, but there were no collision bones (like HEAD). I cannot attest the same for collision bones, however.

In order to fit some mesh hairstyles, I made the SL default avatar head shape somewhat resemble the custom head mesh. I also had to fit the mesh head some to resemble the shape of the SL default avatar head. This will take some messing around with and a lot of trying hair demos to get it to fit.

The purple or wireframe object is the SL default avatar head. Basically, you would have to base your rig on a custom shape which can be done through the Avatar Shape IO or Avatar Apperance panels under Object properties. You may have to start with a new Avastar character rig and then snap the bones in their old positions once you have decided on a custom shape that will fit mesh hair. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.