why is the avi that is with me all black,or gray?

noblesir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

It is an avatar imposter, which doesn't mean that it's a fake avatar.  It's real, but your viewer is rendering it as a greatly simplified image to save load on your graphics card.  If you look in Preferences >>> Graphics >> Advanced, you'll see that there's a slider you can use to set the maximum number of non-imposter avatars in your field of view. When your viewer was installed, it determined a safe "default" value for your computer.  Unless you have changed it yourself, that's the number you should see. Increasing the slider will let you see more non-imposter avatars, but at the cost of some performance. Read more at https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Setting-your-preferences/ta-p/700131#Section_.4 .

• Like 2

Grey avatars normally mean that the avatar's textures (skin and clothing) haven't properly loaded yet.    Black ones I'm not sure about, unless that's one of the flavours that LL's "jelly dolls" come in.

For once I fear I must disagree with Dyna.   I don't think you're seeing avatar imposters, since they're normally full colour images, though in 2D and at a lower resolution than normal.

Here's an example from the wiki.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.