Where is Bento on Singularity???

Svana Verne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rhonda Thank you, that made me feel slightly better --- but do you really want to be walking around in stuff that makes retinas bleed? Get looked down on by the entire community of mesh snobs? Be immediately identified as digitally challenged amateur noob? When I had them they were top of the line, I *always* had the best dresses at the Jazz club where I hosted. We had a contest and I won although I wasn't even a contestant just the hostess and I kept forbidding them to bet on me but they did anyway. Now I would feel like crap knowing the contempt and nasty comments I would get. 

Also I spoke of putting money in my account? Well I read elswehere that LL has eliminated all third party exchanges. And since the exchange I used already wasn't allowed to refund my money, I guess I just lost it, thank goodness it was only about 30 bucks. But one more grab from Lindens, one more way they just are NOT into making Second Life userfriendly. Russians and Chinese and so many others just had to give up and quit as they no longer have a way of getting money into SL to pay for tier and "stuff." I don't have PayPal either and would rather not have it, I never order online internationally, I hate buying stuff I can't see or try, and just like in SL I'd rather shop in stores. Anyway, I don't think I'm ever rezzing again in SL, at least not for the foreseeable future, as I need a computer upgrade just to start, was thinking of spending the money just to be able to get back in, found out I shouldn't bother. But write my name down, if ever I do show up IM me, I'd like my stuff to have a good home.

12 hours ago, Pepper Haas said:

I hear that nearly all the in-world shopping is gone now.

Its not that bad.Those massive shopping center sims have been gone, because they were impractical and the marketplace is way more comfortable. The popularity of the marketplace makes it also more attractive for small shops to first offer their stuff online, instead of opening an inworld store, which would create costs even before the first profit rolls in. But there are still plenty of inworld stores and shopping now focuses on themed, regular shopping events.

So thanks Linden Lab for never leaving well enough alone.

"Well enough" for who? You? Its fine if prims and the standart avatar (that has been around for over a decade) are good enough for you. But I'm happy about every advancement that has been made in the past years. I'm glad for mesh, because it gave me skirts, that don't look silly. A body, that is smooth and does not have weird sharp edges. Boots that go over my knees in a realist manner. Hair, thats not poking through my body...and now even more realistic movements for tails, wings etc, thanks to project bento.

LL didn't do anything objectivly wrong in that aspect. In some online games, someone like you would now be called "salty". You are angry because its not 2007 anymore and that is ridicoulus. Its your personal problem, not a mistake.

Things you would like to be changed (fix the LAG, WOW doesn't have these issues)

WoW and Second Life are not compareable _at all_. WoW installs roughly 15-20GB of data on your computer in a fresh install (if not more, its been awhile). Your computer doesn't need to download any additional data during play for all static surrondings. Second Life doesn't do that. You install the viewer (a tiny bit of data) and head straight into the world...and that world isn't static at all. Everything you see has to be constantly updated.Thats an endless stream of new data.The other major difference is, that WoW is entirely build by professionals in a way, that makes it very ressource-effective. Second Life is a complete sandbox. Everything is build by random people (just like you once...). Those items end up not being as ressource friendly as they could be. Lag is the price you pay for the very nature of Second Life.

• 10 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 5:36 AM, Klytyna said:

You hate mesh you hate new viewers you hate ... you hate... you hate everything that isn't 2006...

That is the real problem, 2006 is gone, deal with it, viewer 1 is gone, deal with it, welcome to the second decade of the 21st c entury, things are better.

I've seen plewnty of 2006 clothes and sahoes and hair, my retinas still bleed on occasions.

Uninstall Singularity, get a viewer designed LESS than 10 years ago.

You could try Catznip, or Black Dragon, or even Firestorm.

Dang! That was down right rude. No, actually your response over a simple question was HATEFUL.

8 hours ago, dancingdelilah said:

Dang! That was down right rude. No, actually your response over a simple question was HATEFUL.

That response was actually pretty mild for Klytyna.

And while her phrasing sometimes leaves much to be desired, she wasn't really wrong in what she said.  We are long gone from 2006 and there is no bringing it back.  You can either accept that and adapt or leave SL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And while her phrasing sometimes leaves much to be desired, she wasn't really wrong in what she said.  We are long gone from 2006 and there is no bringing it back.  You can either accept that and adapt or leave SL.

True but singualrity now has bento in the unstable - if they manage to get animesh and BOM too I might keep it around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

True but singualrity now has bento in the unstable

Is it unstable? I've used the Bento enabled SIngularitu occasionally and never had any problems with it. I haven't used it much though so I probably haven't found all the flaws.

Sadly, I think Singularity died with Latif Khalifa. The other developers tried to continue but it's very, very hard for a small team of volunteers to caryy on after a key member has passed away.

I think Alchemy is still maintained though and if I understand correctly, it's the current viewer that resembles Singularity the most (the Singularity team actually calls it their "sister project").

7 hours ago, Fionalein said:

No it isn't. Singularity Alpha is called an unstable release - I found the "unstable" Singularity more stable than the stable Firestrom

Problem with Dr. Singularity's Frankenviewer is ( apart from it being the rotting corpse of viewer 1, badly reanimated with a grab bag of features lifted from other viewers hammered up its bottom without digital lube ) that it's usually touted as a "low impact" viewer for people running ancient potatoe powered pc's.,

That's a problem because the potatoe powered pc's are usually 32 bit, which means they cannot run the 63.5 bit Frankenviewer Alpha with Bento at all, and the 32 bit Frenkenviewer has no Bento.

Seriously, if you have an OLDER low powered PC, Catznip 32 bit is a better option than Frankenviewer.

Frankenviewer's sole "redeeming" feature is...

Frankenviewer! Now With Bloody Awful Inefficient Pie Menu Things! Looks Just Like 2006!

On 1/19/2017 at 1:44 AM, Klytyna said:

Welcome to the future, it's time to throw away that VIP signature 2005 skin, with the highlights that look like they were applied with a 4 inch housepainters brush over  a flast color fill in flesh tone beige, and lips that make  you look like you were smacked in the mouth with a baseball bat dipped in whitewash. Time to ditch those 300 prim 'shoes' that look like they were made of Lego by a 4 yr old.

xDxD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.