Where is Bento on Singularity???

Svana Verne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

If I had to guess your pulling that error because your not logged in to Facebook. I didn't know it did that. You should be able to pull it up when your logged in. Thanks for letting me know though. Appreciate it. :)

I checked the link. I was logged in. It worked fine for me. 

Btw, Klytyna: Singularity is not a V1.x- clone: It's - just like the Cool VL Viewer - rather a rather current SL Viewer, underneath the UI of V1.x. The latest Singuiarity Alpha Build even has all shinys and stuffs the latest SL viewer has - my only objection to the latest Singularity (Build 6937, from two weeks ago) is that it's just an Alpha Build, not a stable release yet

• Moderators

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

We have attempted to clean up this thread and removed personal attacks and posts that quote posts that were hidden.

The Second Life Forums are a public place for ALL Second Life Users, regardless of whether or not you agree, or do not agree, with the views and opinions of another user.

However, making personal attacks, derogatory or snide comments, etc., regarding another user's opinion, is not, and never will be, appropriate on these forums.

At this time, no one has received a warning regarding the activity, but that will change if additional attacks or comments are made about anyone else on this, or any other, thread on the forums.

Play nice, please :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I checked the link. I was logged in. It worked fine for me. 

Awesome thanks so much. ;)

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

We have attempted to clean up this thread and removed personal attacks and posts that quote posts that were hidden.

The Second Life Forums are a public place for ALL Second Life Users, regardless of whether or not you agree, or do not agree, with the views and opinions of another user.

However, making personal attacks, derogatory or snide comments, etc., regarding another user's opinion, is not, and never will be, appropriate on these forums.

At this time, no one has received a warning regarding the activity, but that will change if additional attacks or comments are made about anyone else on this, or any other, thread on the forums.

Play nice, please :)

You missed a post then on that clean up mate. Duly noted though. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

I don't hate mesh but I sort-of see what the original poster means.  OK, mesh has allowed much better hairstyles, much better loose-fitting clothes and much better shoes. Also mesh objects like cars can be much more realistic.  

With mesh bodies I'm not so sure.  Yes, mesh does away with some of the awkward joints of the system shapes, but so many mesh female bodies are so badly proportioned that they seem to have evolved a long way from what women look like in real life.  I know that many bodies are fitmesh and so the proportions are adjusted by the owner, but it still puzzles me why someone would want to go to the expense of a mesh body just to make it look unrealistic!

Strangely, mesh male bodies seem to have gone the other way, being more realistic than the system ones, but then I think that 'system' didn't do male shapes as well as it did female ones.

Edited by Conifer Dada

14 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

With mesh bodies I'm not so sure.  Yes, mesh does away with some of the awkward joints of the system shapes, but so many mesh female bodies are so badly proportioned that they seem to have evolved a long way from what women look like in real life.  I know that many bodies are fitmesh and so the proportions are adjusted by the owner, but it still puzzles me why someone would want to go to the expense of a mesh body just to make it look unrealistic!

That's kind of the beauty of second life though. Anyone can be whatever or look however they want. It's not the mesh body that looks bad itself in your eyes. As you stated, the mesh body is rigged to the same skeleton as the system av. That being said, anyone can make a shape that is not necessarily aesthetically pleasing to you, but may be to them. 

Personally, I love mesh. It took me a little while when it first started coming out and I only really considered a mesh head sometime last year. The bodies are 1000x more realistic than the system bodies. With the release of bento, customization with the smoothness of mesh have been married and its fantastic! Change can be scary and the learning curve for new things on SL is very high. It took some time but once I got the hang of it, I knew I could never go back to system anything.

To each their own though! :3

I fully agree that people can be whatever they like in SL and if they want to be a funny shape that's up to them.  But my suspicion is that a lot of the oddly shaped avatars are a result of people wanting to look 'normal' but not being able to create 'normal' properly.  It's the same as the old question about height - with so many people who want to make the avatars very tall, people who want to have normal height avatars look small when they're not.

On 4/15/2017 at 7:19 AM, Conifer Dada said:

I fully agree that people can be whatever they like in SL and if they want to be a funny shape that's up to them.  But my suspicion is that a lot of the oddly shaped avatars are a result of people wanting to look 'normal' but not being able to create 'normal' properly.  It's the same as the old question about height - with so many people who want to make the avatars very tall, people who want to have normal height avatars look small when they're not.

Well speaking of normal I've actually had a run in it seems with more people wanting to make their avatars short lately and then getting upset if they are told they need to make them abit taller when I am at my Star Trek rp sim. I mean kid av's are allowed under parent supervision, but not allowed to be on sim alone. They are allowed to visit their parents and like for example Mommy and/or Daddy/Daughter work day and Easter egg hunts. Kid friendly things like that. Not as part of the rp though. The argument is more common with women avatars then men avatars lately. Honestly I think they send me to deal with it because they probably find it funny to watch the Klingon deal with those type of headaches. lol I tell them straight and point blank though. I don't care how short, normal, or real your trying to be when you walk threw this door you need to look like your grown. Period end of story. Tweak what you need to tweak, but we don't play the guessing game around here. lol ;)

Edited by Velk Kerang

On 4/18/2017 at 5:00 AM, Velk Kerang said:

Well speaking of normal I've actually had a run in it seems with more people wanting to make their avatars short lately and then getting upset if they are told they need to make them abit taller when I am at my Star Trek rp sim. I mean kid av's are allowed under parent supervision, but not allowed to be on sim alone. They are allowed to visit their parents and like for example Mommy and/or Daddy/Daughter work day and Easter egg hunts. Kid friendly things like that. Not as part of the rp though. The argument is more common with women avatars then men avatars lately. Honestly I think they send me to deal with it because they probably find it funny to watch the Klingon deal with those type of headaches. lol I tell them straight and point blank though. I don't care how short, normal, or real your trying to be when you walk threw this door you need to look like your grown. Period end of story. Tweak what you need to tweak, but we don't play the guessing game around here. lol ;)

I think it's about the game and trends evolving just like they do in RL. If you look at beauty standards over the years, it has changed drastically. SL reflects this trend as well. Back in 2009 when I started, if you were short even in the slightest, you were considered a child av. My av height was almost all the way up and I was still a "shorter" female av back then. Now, I have my height set at 6ft and I'm A LOT shorter than others but I would hope that my curves and chesticles would point out that I am indeed not a child LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a Mac Singularity user.  I have tried Firestorm.  My machine just wont run it.  Yes it's an older imac.  No I cannot afford to buy a new computer.  I'll likely ride this one down to the dirt.  I fought and finally found a way to view mesh in a way that doesn't make my graphics card smoke--yes Singularity.  Even still I have to use minimum draw distance and mid graphics settings.  I was in SL a looooong time ago.  I still prefer viewer 1 style, and set Firestorm up that way when I use it--mostly for "See in SL" from marketplace links.
    I think to be rude about people liking what they like is not necessary.  I think we all want our SL experience to be as "Pretty" and functional as possible, but not all of us have the financial base to just go out and buy a new computer.  I would like to ask my fellow SL residents what their recommendations are for that "1/3 the price PC".  I use mac cuz it is easy.  I would learn a PC if I knew which one would be a GREAT one for SL (great, but not top of the line).  Thanks for any replies on that.  
   I joined SL because of a news article that talked about how a woman who had to live her life in a medical "bubble" was able to meet, marry, and vacation etc in the magical world of SL.  I had to see what such a world was.  Sadly now, it just seems like a big fashion show and sort of shallow, at that.  To me SL is not a contest, and I still build with prims too btw. :P   

• Like 1

If this thread is back on track, perhaps it would interest people here that a few of the more recent patches to the Singularity code are named "Bento hell and back, and back to hell, and back". That may explain a bit. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Song Whybrow said:

I joined SL because of a news article that talked about how a woman who had to live her life in a medical "bubble" was able to meet, marry, and vacation etc in the magical world of SL.  I had to see what such a world was.

Ebbe once said that kind of thing probably was the most valuable side of SL (can't remember exactly the words he used).

6 hours ago, Song Whybrow said:

Sadly now, it just seems like a big fashion show and sort of shallow, at that.

I tend to agree with you except I wouldn't use a word as negatively charged as "shallow".

Lots of people use Second Life to dress up their avatar in fancy clothes, pose it for some picutres, show it off to their friends, maybe find some suitable partner and run it through some sex animations and even fool themselves into believing strangers they happen to meet care about how their avatar looks. There's nothing wrong with that and God knows I do it a lot myself. But it's just innocent fun, light entertainment. There is absolutely nothing serious about that aspect of Second Life whatsoever.

Yet people here keep insisting Second Life is not a game. They want it to be far more important. And it can be more important than just a game but to achieve the significance so many users seem to put into it and Linden Lab always at least said they wanted it to have, it needs to be far less excluding than it is or has ever been.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gensaku said:

What do you recommend as the best viewer for Bento, mesh, builder and RLV?

As for me, I recommend Firestorm of course, but also Cool VL Viewer (if you prefer the V1.x UI), and the Restrained Love Viewer itself (if you prefer the current SL-Viewer UI).

I haven't tested the other TPVs yet in regards to building and mesh upload, so I can't say anything about them from my own experience.

Edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato

12 hours ago, gensaku said:

What do you recommend as the best viewer for Bento, mesh, builder and RLV?

the difference in quality of bento, mesh and rlv isn't in the viewer but in your machine.

(with the remark that the official viewer doesn't support rlv)

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the difference in quality of bento, mesh and rlv isn't in the viewer but in your machine.

(with the remark that the official viewer doesn't support rlv)

That's the problem. I always used only the official, since I never cared about rlv. But now I'd like to try it, so I need a new viewer. I guess I'll download those recomended and see what I prefer. Thanks for everyone's answers.

• 5 weeks later...

I do support in SL for about 10 years and had the opportunity to adjusted "hundreds" of users about network. I have now 9 viewers installed. I understand you say that, but i am not a new user, and i know what i am talking about, with all due respect.

8ab9b93bb903a06d3d790d70ab2f897c.png

Edited by Shamara Henley

2 hours ago, Shamara Henley said:

I do support in SL for about 10 years and had the opportunity to adjusted "hundreds" of users about network. I have now 9 viewers installed. I understand you say that, but i am not a new user, and i know what i am talking about, with all due respect.

8ab9b93bb903a06d3d790d70ab2f897c.png

I've did IT support for more that 25 years, and Alwin is right, all it says is that YOU found Frankenviewer 63.5 bit alpha more stable that regular Frankenviewer, and the others you installed, and all that says is that its the most stable for you on your system.

That you can run a 63.5 bit viewer at all, demonstrates clearly that you are NOT running it on "an old tired low end pc that can't run anything else"  which is the usual excuse for telling people to run Frankenviewer at all. 

Telling people with older 32 bit low end machines that they can see bento if they install Regular Frankenview is therefore not only inaccurate, but fraudulent.

"Frankenviewer! It's old, and smells dead but it has pies! Oh and lies about bento mesh support, you'll need a new pc that doesn't need Frankenviewer for that!"  

• 1 month later...

So I was thinking of getting back into SL, which I left in 2011, after several things happened in a row that made it as disappointing and troublesome as RL (try job loss and my landlord getting ripped off so I lost my nice island place and my stuff got returned to me in big clumps which I'd have to go to a griefer-infested sandbox to rez and sort and so on long story), and I was also tired of the way users were treated by Linden Labs. One issue at the time was group chat failing; many many complaints and what did we get: a new GUI. Not, fixed group chat. 

Anyhoo. I decided to get on the forums and check out what's changed, so I have some hope of catching up, who knows, find something to do that pays, maybe just stick some RL cash into my account, rent a place, see what's new. 

Well, mesh is new, is what. To me, not to you all. People, I couldn't even handle sculpties. After a year in, I actually switched back to my original avatar --- just to get back to basics and be able to cross sims without any problem. But just for awhile, as I liked the clothes and had gotten good at designing my own, even having a fashion show at one point, with little 15 and 20- item stores all over. Not selling much, but I had fun making new designs and had gotten into Wedding Attire. Then came Marketplace and I found my designs BURIED under thousands of designers who had entire in-world sims AND were so much beter than me. Looking around the forums and internet lately, I hear that nearly all the in-world shopping is gone now. Which is too bad, as a seller I was at some very nice ones, with a dance floor and club area. I would rent a shop, put my displays up, then admire other people's shops. 

But it seems I don't even stand a chance, now. Do you know how many nice clothes I had, and the nicest flexi hair from the best shops and some really pretty designer wigs that I got from treasure hunts and Lucky Chairs. They are worthless now, people will look at me funny and I will apparently make retinas bleed. I don't think I owned any 300 prim-shoes, but the ones I had looked damn good and I looked good too, I got compliments all the time. I finally had a selection of skins, had all my outfits perfectly assembled. My sales weren't exceeding my rent in many places, but in some places they did. And now none of them will sell, ever, again, and I will have to pretty much learn advanced computing skills to have a hope of trying things with mesh. 

So thanks Linden Lab for never leaving well enough alone. For making me come back after 6 years to the forum and read about......LAG issues. Even though SL is depopulated compared to when I was there, and mesh is praised for being sooooooo much better than those old scripty blingy items. Also, still griefers, which means that Lindens STILL don't give a sh*t, as I was a formal Greeter at one point and tried to solve the issue then, but got booted from the group for my trouble, instead. They kept introducing new GUI's to relearn, removing things that were nice (wind -- trees used to sway) for no reason at all; some things never got fixed, but you could always count on getting things nobody had asked for, such as yet more changes that required more updates, caused more issues, and broke things that used to work. Nobody wanted voice; anyone who cared to, could Skype, or like the DJ's have their own IP for it. But there it was, voice. Nobody asked for teens to be let in; then they were, and all adult stuff had to move to Zindra, first blow to all malls. Things you would like to be changed (fix the LAG, WOW doesn't have these issues), aren't. And next login, more new things, more updates, you don't like it? Well too bad, if you want to keep playing you HAVE TO upgrade. 

Sorry for all the mesh-fans here but I seriously wish someone would fulfill the wish of an earlier poster, and put Second Life back the way it was in say, 2007. Kill Marketplace, stop practically requiring people to take classes in order to build and design in SL. Oh and get based in Nevada for pete's sake, and bring gambling back. I'm not going to bother with it, it's bad enough I can't be at my island place ever again, but to trash all my outfits and accessories, to spend major money so I can learn to have and operate something that is "better" -- nope, ain't going to happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.