Sign in to follow this  
EjeFief

What type of hardware does Second Life favor?

The offerings from AMD are not really suitable for a dedicated SL rig. The Ryzen and Ryzen2 CPUs are multicore monsters that can eat Intels for lunch in certain situations like workstation and rendering machines but SL is a single threaded application first appearing in 2003 and although vastly better than back then, it still runs best on a fast CPU with a few cores. Running SL on 28 cores only doing 1.8ghz will be a very disappointing experience compared to a 6 core 8700k easily overclocked to 5ghz or a 4 core 7700k overclocked to 4.7ghz. SL is like most games needing a fast CPU and can only really use a few cores at most. If you need an editing rig for videos that you use for SL too then a Ryzen may just be the ticket but for just running SL, the price per performance is atrocious.  

Why ya gotta necrobump reeeee

tl;dr SL may be single thread demanding because it's an old pos built on for over a decade but it doesn't take high end hardware to have it be very playable

ive played it on everything from 775 core2duos and Pentiums to a 7700k and it really doesn't matter much, if your CPU is anything made in the last few years, SL is going to run fine, low end Pentium T series, i7's, threadripper to athlons, it will be a pleasant experience with decent framerates, quite literally any desktop processor above the tier of a core2quad q6600 will run SL well

hell, I played it on a Pentium 4 from 2002 with an equally terrible gpu and it still started, ran and didn't crash and I was able to actuallly interact with the game, all those legacy foundations leave a game that's not really that demanding, just terribly unoptimized