I'm really struggling. I'm new to second life. I need help.

Shavedbabe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I'm new and I'm trying to figure all this stuff out. I have bought a lot of avatars and clothes and it seems every one I have bought can fit the clothes that I have purchased. I could really use some help on how o fix the problem. Also i bought some attachments for the body and can not seem to get them working. I'm really having a hard time. I keep spending money trying to buy new body's but I think the problem may be me just not knowing how to work this game yet.

6 answers to this question

I would never advise a new SL resident to rush out and buy a lot of clothing and a mess of avatars.  Chances are pretty good that a lot of it will be money down a rat hole.  Linden Lab provides free avatars and outfits in the Library folder of your inventory.  I strongly recommend using them until you know your way around SL and have enough confidence in your basic skills and enough perspective on what's important to own.  In fact, I recommend using a classic avatar, not a mesh one, for the first month or so, simply because the cloud of things that you have to know about fitting clothing to a mesh avatar is overwhelming.

Since you have already started to accumulate clothing and attachment, though, now is a great time to stop and read about how they work.  These Knowledge Base articles will get you started:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Controlling-your-avatar-s-appearance/ta-p/700709

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Avatar-Rendering-Complexity/ta-p/2967838

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-clothing-that-fits-your-avatar/ta-p/2570096

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Saving-your-avatar-s-appearance-with-outfits/ta-p/3029390

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better, I've been here nearly nine years and I still can't dress myself properly. SL has a steep learning curve, and it's easier to climb it if you're not wearing a ton of makeup and clothing. Take Rolig's advice. She's been here longer than me, and is just now starting to look presentable.

;-).

• Like 1

Rolig is quite correct...but I think your major difficulty lies in understanding about mesh attachments and alpha masks.

Mesh clothing, and mesh body parts (including entire mesh avatars) are a form of attachment.  Attachments are great, but they all have one interesting property:  They are "phantom."  Phantom objects look quite solid, but our avatars can pass right through them.  And they, of course, can pass right through us.  To demonstrate this, try flying through some trees.  Most plants in SL are phantom objects, to keep low-flying avatars from klonking into them.

There are some very good reasons that attachments are phantom.  For one thing, they let you dance in the arms of your date at a club without breaking his knees with your skirt.  But they have this annoying habit of letting parts of you poke through them.  This can give you a very moth-eaten appearance when your elbows or thighs poke through your clothing...or a mottled appearance when your regular body pokes through your mesh body, showing a different skin tone in patches.

To deal with this problem, we have "alpha masks".  An alpha mask is a special kind of clothing layer.  In your inventory, it has the symbol of a shirt with a grid pattern on it.  The alpha mask hides the part of your regular (or "classic") avatar body that is covered by its associated mesh clothing, or mesh body part.

So, when you wear a mesh dress, you ALSO wear the alpha mask item that came in the box.  Use the ADD command to wear it, because you may need to wear more than one...an alpha mask for your pants, another for your shoes, and a third for your blouse, for example.  And, when you detach the mesh item, also Take Off the associated alpha mask item, so you don't go around with an invisible midsection or missing feet.

OK...so for clothing that is an attachment (which is ALL mesh clothing), we also wear alpha masks.

Another annoying property of mesh clothing is that it can't be re-sized.  Therefore, when you buy it, the maker provides several sizes...XS, S, M, L usually.  Wear the one that most closely matches your shape.  But, if you have an unusual shape, maybe NONE of them will be a very good fit.  Most mesh clothing creators make their clothes to fit the "standard sizing" shapes...so you may want to get a set of these free shapes to play with.  If you just adjust the facial features and leave the body alone, you'll find you are a better fit with a lot of mesh clothes.  Get them here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Shapes-Male-Female-Classic-Avatars-BOXED/9303366

There is another, older type of clothing that is less confusing, or at least confusing in a different way:  clothing layers.  Clothing layers are simply textures that are painted right on your classic avatar body.  They always fit, no matter what shape you are wearing.  Attachments all have the inventory symbol for an object - a little cube.  Clothing layers have their own inventory symbols:  tattoo, undershirt, underpants, pants, skirt, shirt, jacket, or gloves.  Clothing layers are great, if you're looking to wear anything that's very close-fitting.  And they can be layered, a jacket over a shirt over an undershirt.  A lot of freebie clothing makes use of this older style of making clothes, and some of it can look quite good.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.