Check out the Place Pages Beta!

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some thoughts:

My initial reaction is positive. Since its inception, SL has been in dire need of ways to better connect residents with land, groups and with each other. Still, I've been poking at these places pages a bit and I'm not sure it accomplishes that.

• I love that the pages use a 360 screenshot.
  • I love that you can include multiple screenshots of the land, to really show people what the location has to offer. Places have sorely been lacking that.
  • I'm not impressed by the 250 character description. I'm sure most people who create public locations want beefier land descriptions and the ability to include hyperlinks to forums/blogs/websites relating to the land.
  • Has LL considered somehow linking these land pages to groups? I feel like this feature should really tie into the social aspects of SL. Perhaps a similar page for groups which can in turn link to the land pages for all of the lands the group owners wish to associate with their groups? ie: group hangouts, clubhouses, popular group gathering spots, etcetera.
  • I understand only creating pages for places listed in search, but I feel like these pages should be available to all locations, public and private, with private locations only accessible if you're in one of the groups the landowner associates with the land, or if you're in-world actually standing on the land.
  • Like others have suggested, being able to link these pages to marketplace shops would be ideal for store owners.
  • Another already suggested idea I agree with is that these pages should somehow be integrated with the in-world interface.

I love the concept, I just want to see LL carry through by giving it substance. I still remember how the whole "social profiles" update floundered because LL focused on the superficial appearance of facebook lite profiles, without giving us the actual social features necessary to make them a worthwhile update people would actually use. (The way LL mishandled Interest Tags and the Recommendations features was tragic.) You're on the right path with this, LL, just think it through and continue to develop the concept. 

• What are your goals for these pages?
  • How will this connect people, places, events and groups to each other?
  • How will this benefit both landowners and explorers?

In both firefox and chrome search doesn't work as I would expect. Searching for "Roads" for example brings up two listings. To find one of my sims the only way to find it would appear to be to put in the full parcel name ie "Rockin' Rollers Motorcycle Club (RRMC) Seductive Roads South".

Once I have found the link and I click it I just get an error message:

">The >places.secondlife.com page isn’t working

places.secondlife.com redirected you too many times.

>Try clearing your cookies

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

I get the same with the results for every search

Place Pages are definitely coming along! I'm excited to see its evolution with everyone's feedback.

A few suggestions I have about the 360 feature:

I found that having the 360s set to scroll by default to be a bit on the dizzy side. Would it be possible to opt out of viewing 360 on "play" mode when visiting each page? Or maybe have it "off" by default, with an icon indicator for users to know that it's an interactive space that can "play"?

Also, I think it'd be pretty awesome if the additional images could have the option of being 360 (with suggestions above, of course!)

I agree with the suggestion that integration with Marketplace and Calendars for events is definitely a must!

Thank you for the consideration. 

Thanks on the filter, added BUG-41223

Thought it would be useful to say the purpose of the space.  e.g. Event, Shopping, Role Playing etc.

Thinking it will help if there is a purpose index, that may later allow future changes to perhaps develop further saving "places" based on things we like to search for.  e.g. I would love to see all the shopping events, add them to my 'favourites' then when calendar is integrated I can keep a note of dates to visit those sims on those dates etc.

I also echo the marketplace, flickr, facebook, website etc. links showing on Places.   I added this request under https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-41224

I think this is a great idea and look forward to posting on social media with it.

But I don't understand why there is a select "administrative panel" only that gets to write welcoming messages or put up videos.

If I pay tier on a server that is in a place page, *I* should be the one who gets to edit the "place page," just like I do the existing description line on the parcel that *currently* is what shows up in search.

I don't like the idea that a select group of people with their own whims can decide now what gets special treatment and what shows up in search.

So I hope I will hear that this is just a beta thing, but that eventually anyone who owns the parcel can edit the place page.

Not specific to this issue but WHY are the posters profile photos on the left designed so that 80% or more of the names not visible but blotted out by the graphic? Why can't the avatar/poster name be black against white on top or bottom of the visual?

Thanks, Prok. I hope the Lab will be able to use these pages to automatically aggregate content residents create that's related to the location, like pictures and events and destination guide picks. As always, the devil is in the details. I suspect the challenge will be less about getting the content to replicate and more about getting the permissions to work in a way that doesn't compromise the integrity of the page.

@Aethelwine. In order to post comment to the JIRA, you need to be logged into the portal. When you view a JIRA, look in the upper-right corner of the window, if you don't see your SL avatar name there, you're not logged in to it. If you are logged in, but you cannot post a comment, then I'm not sure. I know the Lab has different levels of permissions for JIRA users. Usually, if the JIRA is open and public, anyone can post a comment. If that's not the case for you, try opening a JIRA of your own and report the effect. Hope this helps!

A few questions:

1. Are you going to integrate/replace outdated web pages like the Destination Guide and the old parcel/sim info pages in this new system?
  2. Will it be possible for visitors to post snapshots from the place? (And is that a good idea or would it be too easy to abuse?)
  3. Is the 250 character limit for the custom description really a good idea?
  4. Will there be adequate search functions? (No offense but that is a weak point with all existing SL functions and services)
  5. Will the major search engines be able to spider even the M and A rated pages?
  6. Do you have good enough routines for monitoring and moderating those pages?
  7. What took you so long? (Edit: No, not you personally - or any other current Linden for that matter. I know that none of you were decision makers at LL back in 2005 when it would have been natural to add a feature like this ;) )

Phew, finally done.

What a job!

Anyway, I have 2 main sims in SL, 1920s Berlin and Time Portal.

Because the slurl still directs you to a random spot, you'll have to manually change the last grid reference to 1930.

For Berlin I'll share this place page;

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/46919/the-1920s-berlin-project-weimar-republic-role-play-sim

I can't wait till I can add an events calendar there.

And here is my Time Travel sim;

https://places.secondlife.com/regions/46933/time-portal

I really like that it shows all the parcels, as most of them are shops, this is a nice handy way for people to find where they want to come spend their money.

This sim will have six different zones, I'd love to have at least 6 pictures there to show people a taste of every zone.
I'd also love an events calendar here, links to social media, etc.
But as requested, I filmed jiras for that.

Personally I also think the font below each parcel in the region is too big and I miss the short description.

Do those individual parcel pages (under the Time Portal region page) work? Whenever I click on them, I get ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

I've only been idly peeking-in on this thread so far. The development seems best suited to full Estate regions, as opposed to my use case (a dozen or so parcels scattered around multiple Mainland continents), but I haven't actually tried to do anything with it yet, so I may be wrong. (I also doubt many others would share this usage, so not worth pushing to make it work if it doesn't already.)

Jo Yardley wrote:

They work seperately but somehow you cant get to them via the region page.

Oh, sorry, I see that you and Loki were discussing this problem way back at the beginning of the thread. I didn't realize what it meant until I stumbled on it myself.

I guess like everything else this just needs some hands-on experience to understand what's working and what isn't.

[Edit: Oh, I see "we have reached the maximum participants needed for the Beta program at this time." So I guess I best be blissful in my ignorance for a while.]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.