cant move

SamaraGray

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I ama newbie and just flew up the ramp and now I seem to be stuck outside of the building.  I cannot fly nor walk out of it and just hear repeated noises that sound like I am banging against something.  Please help, i searched prior to posting but didn't find anything that seemed to apply.  Ten minutes in.... :) 

2 answers to this question

Your avatar is probably stuck inside some structure. There are several ways to get out of that situation but if you are completely new, the easiest one is probably to teleport home. Look for a button with a house icon and click on it. I'm not sure where it will take you but it will be a safe place.

Hi, Samara.  So, you're stuck in the jumping section of the tutorial on Learning Island?  That happens to a lot of people.  Jumping is a basic skill, but it does take some people longer to master than others.  On the brightest side, many people can get along very well in SL without ever learning toi jump.  If you don't it not, the world will not come to an end.

Here's the trick.  You have four arrow keys on your computer's keyboard, and you also have keys labelled Pg Up and Pg Dn .  To jump in place, you just tap on the PgUp key.  It's sort of fun, in a 6-year-old way.  If you want to jump forward, you have to tap on PgUp while holding the FOWARD arrow down at the same time.  That's what takes practice.  I find that it's best to tap PgUp just slightly before pressing the FORWARD arrow, but it's hard to explain in words.  (You will learn soon that if you hold the PgUp key too long, you start flying.)

Anyway.....  I suggest staying calm and practicing.  If your panic level gets too high, though, you don't have to stay, and you don't have to finish the tutorial.  Click on the Destination Guide button on your task bar, select a spot that sounds interesting, and teleport there.  You will never be allowed to come back to Leaning Island, but you'll learn the rest of your basic skills by experimenting somewhere else.

Welcome to Second Life.  :)

BTW, It should be impossible to get outside the building on Learning Island, but you may be more inventive than most people.  If that's what you did, there's really no way back in.  I suggest teleporting away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.