Hey Fashionistas..what do you love about fashion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fashion is diverse, and the trends are always changing. But I do like the fact that when a certain trend does come back in style, it's always with a twist - an improvement.

Hmm...although my purse would be very happy if SL didn't have so many wonderful things to buy out there...hehe :)

i love that fashion is an art form that can accomodate everyone. I love that it's in a constant state of evolution. I love that there are no rules, especially in sl where we don't have to deal with gravity unless we want to... Self expression, setting a mood, making a statement, it's a wonderful creative outlet whether creating it, wearing it or styling it for others. Yay fashion!

I'm in a funky mood today and not a happy funk ... a blue funk.  So with that said ...

Fashion is a tool.  As long as I am the prettiest women in the room, that's all that matters.  ;)

Fashion should flow with the feel of the day and not to pace it.  Trying to guess what's going to be "in" this year is what leads to such monstrosities as shoulder pads, nehru jackets, leisure suits and capri pants.  Fashion sense leads you to match a beaded, sleeveless denim jacket with a peasant blouse for an updated effect of a timeless look.  Fashion trends leads you to buying an "I'm With Stupid" teeshirt to go with your parachute pants

So today, the state of the world is a tanking economy (if your optimistic, it is only stagnant) and war.  Ostentatious displays are not received well.  Simple elegance is noted.  Confidence is the one true and universal appeal no matter what time you live in, but how that confidence is portrayed will vary.  If you can look like you can get it done for less than a dollar and enjoy the change, you will be a fashion setter.  But if you try and dress with that in mind, you have failed before you start.  Fashion is a bitch like that ...

Interesting responses- and I agree that good fashion is like art that you can enjoy all day long, in either universe. Nothing can lift my day quite like a decent pair of shoes and a beautifully textured scarf.

Rhonda..I'm laughing at your answer..I bet you always have "Show Look At" on to check if you're making the right splash, lol.

I was in a horrid funk too, when starting this thread..it was an act of desperation after seeing every single section of the forum full of Our Favourite Spammer, and I just wanted to quickly do something to squash it down past the most recent threads.

For me, fashion is a means to take the average and make it stand out from the rest. 9 times out of 10 if I look around a room and see commonalities, I'll use whatever fashion sense I have to do exactly the opposite from what I see. Room full of frilly barbies? I'll be in dirty beatup old leather and heavy tattoos in no time. Room full of the tired old goth or grunge look? I'll throw down something cute, country, 80's rag pop, or classically sophisticated to avoid being lumped in with the bunch. It is a tool like Rhonda says, and if you're good at it, an edge or an ace in hand. I do the opposite of any trends I pick up on and do it purposely, so I'm more of an anti-trend fashionist combatant with a very large arsenal.

I went to a fundraiser the other night (in Manhattan) for Japan Relief. 

It was much 'the scene'; a who's who of high profile people wanting to help.  I was impressed.  

I noticed something that I have noticed many times at events like this in Manhattan.  People were dressed, and they were dressed in fine clothes.  However, 99% were dressed in black. Black dresses, black suits, black shirts, black shoes, black handbags, black vests: black...black...black everything.  I understand black is the unofficial color of NYC events, but I found it boring.  I took it as a lack of creativity, imagination, and embarrassment.  

I wore a gold jacket (tailor made) with black tuxedo pants, a white, pleated, Egyptian cotton shirt with black onyx buttons, and  a gold bowtie.  I stood out like a 'sore thumb'.   But I was comfortable that I set myself apart from everyone else.  That's what I love about fashion - expressing yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.