So, Merchants...what do you love about being a Merchant?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im going to reply to myself as i realise that tonight is a complete lost cause...the entire forum is wasted through the spammers tonight...sorry :(

When the arsehole scammers are done , Id still like to ask this question properly, though. It's not such a bad question, when decent people get a chance to discuss :)

the thing i like best about being a merchant is when something sells the building's enjoyable and all when you have an idea bursting to get out but there's a little sense of pride that someone it may only ever be one person likes an item you've spent time and effort making enough to buy it even if they never rezz it 

Four little words ... "I love your stuff!"

Of course, there's also the similar things like "It saved me so much time / money / hassle / etc...".

I guess basically it boils down to those compliments and comments that customers share of their own volition .. not because I asked or prompted, but just because they want to express their pleasure.

I became a merchant, but by heart I'm a creator.

The part I love most about being a merchant is the creating of new products. I love the whole proces from getting an idea, starting to work at it, making choices, and the actual creating, seeing the item grow under my hands. I'm intensive involved in this proces, but when it comes to an end, I must watch out not to loose my interest. With a fair 95% of my creations I manage to bring them so far that they can become a product in SL. The rest is sitting somewhere on my computer waiting to be picked up again, one day.... (for most of them this day never arrives). 

Once you have made the object it's just a little trouble to start selling your object. But for me the most things that have to do with selling the products are the dull part of the story.  I'm not a merchant because I love being a merchant, but I became one because I love to create and discovered that people are willing to pay for my creations.
But the actual work that comes with selling, like packing the boxes and setting permissions, list your merchandise on the marketplace, sending out group notices about the new product and so on, what I like less about being a merchant. I do it, because I know it helps to bring in money.

But what I on the other hand like about being a merchant is the part of customerservice. I like to hear from my clients, whether it is to hear how they love the product, didn't receive the object, have questions or need support or give feed back about the product, it's all okay for me. Customerservice interests me because it is about how people relate to your product. I learn a lot from it and often enough it gives me a feeling of pride and satisfaction.

I became a merchant because I wanted stuff nobody was/is selling so I had to make it myself.

And then wondered if people would pay for them.

I too glow and grin when someone tells me they love something I've made, I love seeing apartments decorated with my stuff but I also like the economical bit, the renting a shop, making sure its in a good spot, advertising, etc., the "playing shop" bit.

BTW, Love your stuff fraulein Oh :)
I just started sculpting and it is exploding my brain, so I'm even more impressed with your stuff now.

Thanks for so many great answers! I've really enjoyed reading them, and you have all cured me of the severe bout of spammer rage I had last night.

I suspect that many of us are creators first and foremost, through our love of bringing what's inside our heads out into world, and merchants by proxy afterwards. I find the creation process to be completely absorbing, and just love getting into that vibe. On the other hand, many of the tasks involved with selling can be sheer tedium. I don't know of anyone who really enjoys setting and checking perms, boxing, making demos, listing things on Marketplace, and sending notices. I do have to admit that just sometime, I find the monotonous chores to be relaxing.

Despite this, being a merchant can be oddly absorbing. I love reading blogs on how to improve practises and putting them to work, and coming up with new ways to improve how my shop works. I love setting up new stores, and preparing for fairs. I will never complain about making an income either, as that part's a big plus.

The best thing for all of us I notice is how great it is when a customer says "hello..I just love what you do". Nothing tops that.

I love coming up with ideas and then MAKING something in-world with those ideas.Seing things come to life as it were.

I love collaborating on projects with friends to make something thats expontially better than if we were workign solo.

I love helping customers achieve their goals, and finding solutions to their projects.

I love helping new builders - seeing the light bulb come on, and watching them grow and seeing their work develop.

Of course I love it when people love my stuff and tell me so, or send me pictures or copies of what they have created.

But the part I like the very best? Is when a customer is browsing my store (a very pretty shop that looks like it was designed by a sane, normal person) and I start talking with them, and they look down and go: "Youre the shop owner!?! But but you're a tiny otter in a..... is that a Lady GaGa outfit?!?!"  Thats definately the best bit :smileyhappy:

Jo Yardley wrote:

I became a merchant because I wanted stuff nobody was/is selling so I had to make it myself.

Hehe, another coincidence in a long line of "Jo/Mila Coincidences," that was originally why I got into the business. I've ALWAYS been a crafter in First Life. If I can see it (or, in several cases, dream about it), I can sew it, knit it, crochet it, spin it or bead it. The womanly arts have been in my blood and cultivated by my grandmothers since birth.

Coming to SL, I noticed a distinct lack of things available, that I actually wanted. Plus, I think it was just in me to imagine beyond that which was currently on offer. I want to wear MY vintage underwear in SL. Except nobody's making it. Okay, I'll make it. I want to wear MY dresses in SL. Again, nobody's making them. So I'll do it (a fair number of items in my store are inspired by my own wardrobe).

I LOVE the "I love your stuff!" compliment. Also, I adore it when someone comes running into my shop, and tells me that they just saw my new product on the Marketplace, and that their grandmother or grandfather had the same thing, and they're so excited someone finally made it.

I admit, I don't love it when someone claims to know everything about an era based on seeing one film. I don't. Those are, unfortunately, more common. It's okay not to know a lot about an era. You don't have to. But being willing to learn is a good thing. I really enjoy the customers who either: a) maybe don't know a lot, but are open to learning about, perhaps, the culture that existed around a certain type of fashion, or b) do know a lot, and are open to a good chat about vintage fashion or history.

And to add something I despise: hostile customers. They think, from the start, that every shopkeeper is out to get them, steal from them, scam them or spam them, and they start and continue all communication with that sort of tone. I'm an excessively polite person (Emily Post and Mrs Beeton were mentioned daily in my life growing up). I just had one jump down my throat for "wanting the last word" in a conversation that wasn't an argument. I was being polite.

I see customers complain on this board about shopkeepers being rude or hostile. We get customers who are rude, threatening and hostile from the get-go. No matter how polite we are, we are still pissing someone off. Apparently, she's offended by my politeness. I can't win.

I know your stuff, Mila, and it's great! I think we might be near-neighbours on a few sims.

I have to agree with you about the hostile customers, and they are the worst thing to happen. I've had two, ever, and both had made errors because they had not waited for information to rezz, or had not read information. (Information that does not confuse hundreds of other customers.) However, despite everything I do for them, and after all politeness, both accused me of dishonesty. It can be heartsickening when you meet with sheer rudeness, because someone thinks you scammed them out of their $1.83, and they want to make your week hell for it.

Anyway, two weirdos in 3 1/2 years of happy sl commerce is not a bad ratio.

honestly ..

the only thing i still really, really love about being a merchant in sl .. is cashing out.

making stuff and helping customers was fun for like, well almost a year.. by now making stuff feels like actual work but neccessary since i know it will be rewarded (by being able to cash out more ;p)

.. the customer IMs are still, 2 years later the same. only noobies really IM. so by now it's like *exhales* alllright, let's get this over with, explain once again how to rez and click something. (shhh, i am, so .. )

of course the now and then 'love your stuff' IMs feel nice, but they still a little embarrasing .. like what you gonna respond to that, thank you, glad you like it ! and give a lil gift hoping they don't want to start talking more ...  still feels weird tho ;p

i do appreciate every, very every sale and if a customer really IMs me with a 'owww.. i'm not that happy or so' i refund them since i don't want them to be unhappy for spending money with me ..

but well .. it's a 'job' by now .. and sadly i am not one of the lucky people that actually love what they do, rl or sl (anymore).. but it works to pay bills :)

let's just say .. if i was born being wealthy i would not bother with sl .. (or rl) work.

very nice to see how most of you still enjoy what they do here :) greetings

Oh, thanks!

I don't know what it is about people starting off a situation poorly. SL is run through software and servers. Sometimes those fail. Worse, for me, though, have always been the ones who think that you're being snooty by being polite. Manners are how we show others respect for them. But they somehow find a way to take it as the opposite.

Pretty much what others have said already.

I love inventing and creating. I love the process that goes from my annoyance with a task that's time wasting or repetitive to thinking up a scripted solution to creating it and then going "omg it works! how cool!"

Some people might struggle to believe that scripting is fun, but I've done so many other art forms from painting, photography, writing, music and the buzz you get from "it works!" beats them all. Even if there is much hair-tearing and frustration along the way. Or maybe that's why it's so much more satisfying in the end.

Then it's so rewarding too when other people get to use it and say "I love your stuff" or "this saves me so much time" or "this has really helped my business".

Some of the steps in between are a bit tedious though - all the packaging and documentation and getting things ready for sale. The two things I struggle with most are naming and pricing. For every product I've released I have several that are already scripted that I use myself, or have made for friends, but haven't got around to finalising for sale.

The other challenge is actually letting people know that your stuff is available and how it can help them, because shopping, advertising and media in SL are so scattered. It's frustrating when a customer says "I've been looking for something like this for ages!" and it's a product I've had available for years. Word of mouth builds up nicely, but it does rely on individual communication and social networks and takes time. But these are the challenges of marketing in SL.

Customer support I mostly enjoy. Again it's a problem solving process. I like talking to people about their business and working out the tech solutions that are best for them. I don't get too many problem support calls any more, since over time I've become pretty good at writing instructions, including photos, and making intuitive interfaces. And if I find the same questions or problems popping up I'll address them in instructions or update the product if possible.

Now I'd just like a 48 hour day and the ability to clone myself 5 times over...

I have to chime in with complete agreement regarding the packaging and documentation. Unlike many things, there's really no extra programming to be done that could save us time in this process.

I personally have a set of steps for new products starting with "make it, ya dork," to announcing to my groups and sublists, and everything in-between. It keeps me organized.

AFTER the packing process, I have automated quite a lot. As I've been a professional programmer for 14 years now, I did look at my personal launch process and created webware programs to deal with a lot of it. That took some of the sting out of the launch process, to be sure. All of this helps me organize my products in a database, AND makes me not dread finishing a product, because of what comes next, hehe.

Mila Edelman wrote:

AFTER the packing process, I have automated quite a lot. As I've been a professional programmer for 14 years now, I did look at my personal launch process and created webware programs to deal with a lot of it. That took some of the sting out of the launch process, to be sure. All of this helps me organize my products in a database, AND makes me not dread finishing a product, because of what comes next, hehe.

Ooh! Anything more you wish to share about how you do this?

"dread finishing a product" - that feeling is too familiar, and not good for business.

Well, I USED to design CMS systems and inventory management systems from absolute scratch, custom, for companies. Then some really awesome tools came out, supported and added to, worldwide. I made the decision to study the new tools' programming and customize that for clients, most of the time. In the programming world, we say, if someone's already perfected it, don't waste your time re-doing it. It'd be purely for ego. However, if nobody's done it, and you're repeating the same tasks over and over again, write a tool and find a better use of that spare time. :) These days, I VERY heavily customize the existing tools, to the point that you really can't tell that they're used (unlike most installations of it) unless you really know what to look for.

I customized it all in a way that allows me to maintain the OTP website (view individual pages for some of the newer products, you can see the set options--it's all done the same for older products, too, just they don't have as many options) AND my product inventory, plus the posts on Marketplace. Just all in one place, so I am never redoing stuff, or flipping windows or, the database admin's nightmare, DUPLICATING DATA. The same entries that control what shows up on the site, I can pull a drop-down (built only so that I can see it) that gives me options for updating or creating Marketplace posts, gives me all the data fields I need in one spot, separated, so I can just grab them.

I have often wondered if I should make some tweaks to this for the public to be able to use it on their own accounts (for a monthly fee, I guess?). Or maybe offer to host people's company websites, and offer my custom tool as an add-on. It used to take me HOURS to enter all new products from a set to the Marketplace/XStreet. I really LOATHED those days. It now takes me under an hour (more like 30 mins) for the "entering it all into MP" stage, and that's a 10-product set.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.