Mainland Land Prices Are Rediuclous

FailedScience

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no problem with places like bay city being super costly, as they are more about buying into the social group than just having land. I think my issue is with the fact that much of mainland is empty or abandoned and yet random lots are being priced super high and vulnerable new residents are getting tricked into paying top dollar for no good reason.

• Thanks 1

I don't know where most of these prices are coming from. I've always been able to get nice plots of land for low prices. I rarely if ever pay more than 1 L a square meter--and usually less. I'm currently selling a nice roadside lot of 8000 sq meters for 6500 Linden--not even 1 L a square meter. Some people are trying to sell land for high amounts, but in most cases --probably all cases--they will never get what they are asking. People can sell for whatever they want. I just think its often inexperienced people thinking they are going to make huge profits. 

Watch the land auctions. They have plenty of cheap land for sale. You can buy nice plots from the seach engine also. I routinely pay 3k linden for a 4000 meter plot.

If there's a rhyme or reason to mainland prices, I've yet to figure it out!

It's like anything else; more desireable parcels are going to cost an arm and a leg. Waterfront, protected? Arm, leg.

Depending on what you're looking for, decent prices can be had. I've had the best luck using the v1 land search (in the singularity viewer) and sorting by price and not looking at anything over (roughly) L$2/sqm. It's work (so is hunting yellow spots on the map) but it's worked for me.

A lot of the cheaper spots will be undesirable, maybe even unusable; but not all of them. It can be worth the hassle and work if you're on a tight budget.

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 1

Came here having basically not been in SL much and at a stage where i am downsizing and face trying to sell original Zindra double prim protected coastline 2 sides. Can of worms!!! how long is a piece of string? Zindra prices are all over the place from massive to not quite so massive to confusing!  Conversely i know i will end up abandoning my cheap rocky mature plot...crazy.  As with real life nothing is simple...maybe i should ask for sealed bids lol.

I dont suppose anyone can say what a typical L$/sqm prime land on Zindra should go for priced to sell but not given away! lollll

6 hours ago, Storyof Oh said:

Came here having basically not been in SL much and at a stage where i am downsizing and face trying to sell original Zindra double prim protected coastline 2 sides. Can of worms!!! how long is a piece of string? Zindra prices are all over the place from massive to not quite so massive to confusing!  Conversely i know i will end up abandoning my cheap rocky mature plot...crazy.  As with real life nothing is simple...maybe i should ask for sealed bids lol.

I dont suppose anyone can say what a typical L$/sqm prime land on Zindra should go for priced to sell but not given away! lollll

Zindra land isn't cheap at all, and with yours being protected and double prim, it's worth even more. You'll probably be able to get over LS10 per square meter, but have a look and see what similar plots in your area are going for.

13 hours ago, Storyof Oh said:

small plots or larger. 

Yeah, that's not as important anymore, but as more Mainland comes free (and as overall building standards have improved), the quality of land adjacent makes a tremendous difference to value. If you're talking about the Zindra land I think you're talking about, the best value would likely be fetched by combining the 5088, the 1632, and 4032 into a single big parcel spanning the whole north end of the island, so the parcel's view is unobstructed and protected on 3 sides. That part could fetch quite a price -- although it could take a while to sell. In contrast, the 4480... well, it is double-primmed Adult with one protected side, so it will still get a lot more than the usual land, but its neighbors aren't doing it any favors.

I can't tell for sure how much of it can be terraformed to natural beach, which is much more valuable than water, of course.

You might try talking to the leading Zindra land merchant and see what he says. He'd probably give you a price for quick sale, although you'd surely get a lot more if you were willing to eat the same risk of burning tier until it sells.

ETA: I meant to mention that watching the auctions for closing prices of comparable parcels can be informative. Not all winning bids are completely rational, but overall it's at least an indication that somebody almost surely spent that amount for that land, which is more useful information than listed prices of unsold land.

Edited by Qie Niangao

Thanks i was considering smaller plots would be more affordable and sell quicker (assuming) BUT could get a cr&p build on one which will screw other sales (and my views!)....i only need shift the 5088 and 1632 you have found:) which will be reconfigured when i have cleared my builds off 5088,  all sunrise coast with me retaining land behind.

Theres no panic just the emotional 'letting go' having staked out that plot from Z day1 and £ to $ exchange going down tubes.

I happened to save bookmarks to a few relatively recent (September 2016) auctions of double-primmed Adult parcels, some with waterfront. These are in the Laffoon region (I used to own some land there, which is why I tracked these auctions), around the big reservoir, so the waterfront parcels aren't really beaches. Still, they may have some comparable relevance to your land.

http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28117/
http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28118/
http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28141/
http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28142/
http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28143/
http://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/28144/

I have 5 parcels, 3 of them being waterfront, 1 adult, and one grass and I got each and every one at a steal of a price. I too see some extremely highly priced ones that I would never consider paying, but I don't see that a lot. I think most are reasonable. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.