Bento update and classic avatars

6b61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would advice to read a bit about bento, before you start to worry about it in any way.

Bento is essentially an upgrade to the existing avatar skeleton. Meaning it - can - affect every avatar. It gave the avatar more bones and attachment options, which positivly affects the realism of tails, wings, hands, heads and similar extensions. Of course those attachments need to be made with Bento in mind, so they use the new bones etc.

If you don't use any of this stuff, then you won't really be affected by Bento much. And I don't know why you think you would need to change something about your avatar. If you haven't previously wanted to have mesh avatar parts, why should you now need to have them? Its totally optional.

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

I would advice to read a bit about bento, before you start to worry about it in any way.

Bento is essentially an upgrade to the existing avatar skeleton. Meaning it - can - affect every avatar. It gave the avatar more bones and attachment options, which positivly affects the realism of tails, wings, hands, heads and similar extensions. Of course those attachments need to be made with Bento in mind, so they use the new bones etc.

If you don't use any of this stuff, then you won't really be affected by Bento much. And I don't know why you think you would need to change something about your avatar. If you haven't previously wanted to have mesh avatar parts, why should you now need to have them? Its totally optional.

• Like 3

Syo's given a good answer.  I'll add a little background.

Our avatars are 3D animated objects.  Any 3D animated object consists of three things.

1. An invisible underlying "skeleton" that the animator can move, to make the object change its shape.  This skeleton consists of a series of "bones" that the animator can reposition.
  2. A "mesh" made up of hundreds or thousands of little triangles.  This defines the surface of the object.  The mesh is linked to the bones of the skeleton, or "rigged".  When the bones are moved by the animator, the mesh deforms.
  3. A texture.  This is a 2D bitmapped image that is "painted" onto the mesh to give the mesh the appearance of a solid surface.  In SL, we have a number of texture "layers" that can be applied to our bodies to give the illusion of wearing clothes, tattoos, etc.

Project Bento added some new bones to the avatar skeleton.  EVERYONE has these new bones.  But, unless the animation you are using MOVES the new bones, you won't see any changes in the way you look or move.  If you buy an AO or a dance animation that takes advantage of the new capability, though, your fingers can now be animated, and your face...plus if you wear wings or a tail, or have a complete nonhuman avatar, the new bones can be used to animate them.

Mesh attachments, like Mesh bodies, heads, and hands, will need to be updated before they will be affected by the new Bento bones.  Lots of people are mad at some mesh creators for charging for these new updates...but making them requires a huge amount of work, so I'm not at all surprised the creators are asking for proper compensation.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.