A New Years' surprise?

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK

New Grid Status blog.  wonderful...but no Google Calendar, so...imagine the surprise..we are getting an RC channel roll today

and NO INFO on WHAT is being rolled to them.  Brilliant!  Well Done LL!  The new system is SO much better (not).

Could it be, perhaps that no-one with permissions to post about server changes was available to tell us, or is this (as seems far more likely), simple incompetence again?

Oh and Happy New Year, Linden Lab.

;) Have to agree on this one. The Status thing - well fine, even did the subscribe thing, but have to admit

no lead in, no calendar and the alert  that there was going to be a roll arrived 10 minutes before the one

that it had started. A little under 3 hours later, the all clear. Nice but...

The lack of a calendar is - annoying.

Whoever statuspage.io is, if the Lab are not getting this for free at the most they are being overcharged =^^=

Alwin

Firstly, I speak as I find, and I find LL wanting in this case.  Second, I have complimented LL on some of their successes this year, if you did not see them , that is not my error.

And a Happy New Year, when it comes to you too.  (I have a supply of Humbugs, if you want some!)  :smileytongue:

Was there, in fact, an RC channel roll today?   I've just checked in the Magnum 1 sandbox and that's still running  Second Life RC Magnum 16.12.09.322268, which was rolled out on the 14th, I think.

Seems to me more likely that the Grid Status Reports blog is set to update automatically and that no one remembered to turn it off for the holiday period.

The RC regions were restarted today, uptimes for those regions is consistent all over the grid. but the sim version did not change. Maybe there were the kind back end changes that we are not normally told about, but there has been a campaign to start regions even on weeks with no new code to deploy, in BUG-40875

Yes, since there was no apparent server version change the restart must have been to tweak some other aspect of the servers.

That may have been security-related and LL are always (for good reason) tight-lipped about such things.  It was just a surprise and had one or two of my contacts complaining about sims being down, hence my original comment. :smileysurprised:

The Google Calendar page can still be found via the Google Calendar site, but it looks like an automatic version of the formerly embedded calendar that hasn't been swtched off. It hasn't matched the rolling restarts I've seen over the past few works, or which got announced on the new status system.

It doesn't seem a reliable source any more. And I have not found any link to it from any Second Life web page, but some people were pointing at it with glee as all the warning that anyone ever needed.

The lack of warning on the Status page, and from the Twitter account was pretty dumb.

If it was a security issue which didn't change the server version why was it only done to the RC channels? Is the rest of the Grid insecure? Though I don't think that any computer system can ever be 100% secure.

I got very annoyed about the uncritical thinking exhibited over these information sources I described what I had seen, why I didn't trust the sources they were pointing at, and I seemed to get surrounded by men claiming that Linden Lab was perfect, on sod all evidence.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Was there, in fact, an RC channel roll today?

Yes. I actually managed to log on just as the gong sounded. That was definitely a surprise. ;)

I don't know what happened but considering the time of year I think we can make an educated guess: The Linden who usually posts the warning messages was on vacation and whoever was trying to do his job didn't have all the routines down and forgot about it. I do agree with the OP and others that this shouldn't have happened but all things considered, if it was just a one time slip I think we should be generous enough to forgive them. It's a different matter if it happens again of course.

I suspect they forgot. We are in a no change window until Jan 2.

But... the operations team is updating the operating system to a new verison of Linux. So, the restarts may have been to move that project forward. According to Simon this is an update just to get the latest Linux fixes and upgrades, nothing specific to SL.

As far as I'm aware there are only a handful of regions on Aditi running with the Linux update - I believe it's the DRTSIM-323 16.12.20.322524 regions (Fire Ants 1, Fire Ants 2, Grasmere, Oak Forest, and Twilight Shores etc).

There are no regions on main grid running the Linux update yet.

The DRTSIM-323 16.12.20.322524 regions also have a bug that prevents any scripts being saved https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-41091 so if those regions are indeed the regions with the Linux update, it doesn't seem to be ready for main grid yet.

Also as far as I'm aware LL have a new policy to restart regions on the usual rolling restart day even if there is not a server update if they have not been restarted for over 14 days.

This weeks RC restarts appear to be just that as the server version was not changed. RC regions were on 16.12.09.322268 before and after the roll on Wednesday.

Hi and thanks, Whirly

Happy New Year

However....if, as you say, the servers are restarted whether or not there is new code to roll (and we now know there is good reason to do this), why was there no Main Server restart on Tuesday?  I suppose given that metric, next Tuesday will see Main Server restarts without a code change?

It just seems to me that there is neither rhyme nor reason to the Lindens' actions on restarts/rolls, whatever the common-sense procedure might be!

Maybe, reading what You write, there have been changes to the Linux update code, hence their arrival on RC channels first.

Maybe that is the sense of it. :smileyfrustrated:

This 14-day policy does make some sense. But where is it documented?

Where is any of this documented?

I'm not sure that "Simon Says" is an adequate model for system documentation (and there are two different versions of the song anyway.)

Anyone who comes in, waving their arms, and pointing at some undocumented claim, allegedly made by a Linden, thet they can't link to, and that can't be found by a search engine, doesn't look very reliable to me.

I got the inside scoop, LL rolled out Lag: version 3.0, which will be compatible with the soon to be released AMD Ryzen processors. Lag 3.0 is LL's most advanced Lag software ever developed Some of its key features are autoLag, a new Lag slider control in LL's latest SL viewer starts at "bad: you can adjust it up to "worst" too; along with an all new option: Lagware.

LOL of course I am joking :)  or am I!???????? ahahahahahha

Fiction over Fact (LOL)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.