What antivirus freeware would be SL friendly?

benjizerodevos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I use ESET. We see people using Webroot having problems but, there are work arounds for it.

Lindal is right. Most AV problems are resolved by white listing the viewer's caches in LOCAL and ROAMING and the file in the viewer program folder slplugin.exe.

Google for Second Life and Anti-Virus settings. Lots of people have explained how to setup AV with SL.

• Like 1

I currently use the free version of Avira antivirus & it has caused me no problems with any SL viewer.  I did not need to manually whitelist any viewer folders or files.

I have previously used the free versions of Avast and AVG and both those also behaved with SL viewers.

Stay well clear of Webroot antivirus - though this doesn't have a free option. Webroot causes more problems with SL viewers then all the other antivirus software combined.  Webroot also does not allow whitelisting of folders unless you have the business edition.

Take note of the problem antivirus & Firewall software listed in the comments on this JIRA issue - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8631

• Like 2

Good question, when I used Windows (in SL) my preferred choice of *free*  firewall/virus protection was Zone Alarm. Its firewall tracks any hacker's IP address who attempts to breach it & it does a good job on viruses too alerting you if you get one & auto isolating it. You can aslo password protect settings, so as to prevent the firewall/antivirus from being turned off easily.

http://www.zonealarm.com/

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.