Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Barta Lemton

Suggestions, Marketplace and Sim Fees

Recommended Posts

Howdy,

So this thread isn't intended to be crude or insulting to Linden Labs, and I'd like to simply offer some advice. I've been plinking away in Second Life for some time, and recently I've noticed a few rather glaring issues you should probably address if you intend to support this creative platform beyond the launch of your gimmicky VR experience. 

1) You should probably stop pounding sims into the ground with excessive hosting fees, some of the more unique and interesting roleplay sims have been devestated or disbanded because of this. Of course the very popular ones are still going strong.... usually... But it might help if you didn't actively chase your playerbase away.

2) The Marketplace is a mess these days, you plug in a keyword and you'll get a store that's decided to include common keywords in it's "Gacha" sales, putting up thousands of items that more or less make it impossible to find what you actually want. This happens with tons of common words that should be used to search things. Perhaps you should add a filter system of sorts to refine searches so you can exclude Gacha products, because for a modder like me they're perfectly useless. I can't copy them, I can't mod them, they may as well be digital trash.

3) Maybe implement the option to comb through rigged, fitted, and loose mesh items? You can try with keywords, but for some reason most sellers tend to fill the description with non-sensical insanity rather than actual sentences written/typed in the English language.

Thanks,

Stay Classy Linden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Barta Lemton wrote:

 

2) The Marketplace is a mess these days, you plug in a keyword and you'll get a store that's decided to include common keywords in it's "Gacha" sales, putting up thousands of items that more or less make it impossible to find what you actually want. This happens with tons of common words that should be used to search things. Perhaps you should add a filter system of sorts to refine searches so you can exclude Gacha products, because for a modder like me they're perfectly useless. I can't copy them, I can't mod them, they may as well be digital trash.


You can already filter your search by permissions - there are checkboxes that will allow you to only have copy and/or mod items show up in search. They're below the filters for price and type at the left side of the Marketplace window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought down my sims, so now I pay $195 instead of $295 each. (And now I get 5000 bonus prims. And if I want 10,000 more, it only costs $30. )

LL deserves much of the opprobrium it gets but it can't get credit even when it does something right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) not wading in to the MP battle but on your roleplay point - can rent a homestead for what 8k5 Lindens a week now? Thats roughly 34 bucks? And if any RP group is serious..... well its also 5k LI/Prims too. With a userbase thats what 20 times bigger than the alternatives? Plus a market of..well.

So yes would love it cheaper but on those grounds - not too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with all the savings you've done and basicaly getting free prims which is like getting a sim for free when you have 4 of them you've passed all that saving's down to the customers right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh sure. First tho I raised prices* on all my products so I could raise enough to buy down my tier. Then I raised prices because I was selling Lindens for so much less on the Lindex. Then I lowered them again because my lower tier actually kicked in. Then lowered them again with the prim bonus.

 

*on the marketplace and inworld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Torrie Mint wrote:

And with all the savings you've done and basicaly getting free prims which is like getting a sim for free when you have 4 of them you've passed all that saving's down to the customers right.

And why is she obligated to?  Because you feel entitled to benefit from LL's price decrease and extra prims, although you have not been paying her tier all the years she has and didn't pay the $600US fee per sim LL charged to grandfather her sims??  Have you noticed ANY other merchant lowering their prices as a result??  I haven't.  Do you know of many stores in RL that may negotiate a better lease with their landlord that lowered all their prices??  I doubt you can name many, if any, in SL or RL.

Pam's prices are, and have always been, very reasonable already for the quality of her work and the time she has to spend creating it.  They represent less than a penny on the dollar in RL money for hours and hours and hours of work.   Perhaps Pam's lower costs will help her to not have to raise prices due to the costs she has to also pay in RL to continue her business, which have been rising all the time while she was charging about the same for her merchandise than she did a few years ago.

The entitlement of some people in SL has always amazed me with their specious arguments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


Torrie Mint wrote:

And with all the savings you've done and basicaly getting free prims which is like getting a sim for free when you have 4 of them you've passed all that saving's down to the customers right.

And why is she obligated to?  Because you feel
entitled
to benefit from LL's price decrease and extra prims, although you have not been paying her tier all the years she has and didn't pay the $600US fee per sim LL charged to grandfather her sims??  Have you noticed ANY other merchant lowering their prices as a result??  I haven't.  Do you know of many stores in RL that may negotiate a better lease with their landlord that lowered all their prices??  I doubt you can name many, if any, in SL or RL.

Pam's prices are, and have always been, very reasonable already for the quality of her work and the time she has to spend creating it.  They represent less than a penny on the dollar in RL money for hours and hours and hours of work.   Perhaps Pam's lower costs will help her to not have to
raise
prices due to the costs she has to also pay in RL to continue her business, which have been rising all the time while she was charging about the same for her merchandise than she did a few years ago.

The entitlement of some people in SL has always amazed me with their
specious
arguments. 

Yep that's what I meant to say  Torrie, btw, is the person who thinks the prim bonus should benefit only tenants, and landowners not at all. Just like when I buy down four sims, there should be no benefit to me. 

One correction: Prices in SL, including mine, have been driven down significantly over the last 5-6 years, first by the freebie culture, then by the ability for non creators to open inexpensive mesh stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Torrie Mint wrote:

And with all the savings you've done and basicaly getting free prims which is like getting a sim for free when you have 4 of them you've passed all that saving's down to the customers right.

Don't be so utterly ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


Torrie Mint wrote:

And with all the savings you've done and basicaly getting free prims which is like getting a sim for free when you have 4 of them you've passed all that saving's down to the customers right.

And why is she obligated to?  Because you feel
entitled
to benefit from LL's price decrease and extra prims, although you have not been paying her tier all the years she has and didn't pay the $600US fee per sim LL charged to grandfather her sims??  Have you noticed ANY other merchant lowering their prices as a result??  I haven't.  Do you know of many stores in RL that may negotiate a better lease with their landlord that lowered all their prices??  I doubt you can name many, if any, in SL or RL.

Pam's prices are, and have always been, very reasonable already for the quality of her work and the time she has to spend creating it.  They represent less than a penny on the dollar in RL money for hours and hours and hours of work.   Perhaps Pam's lower costs will help her to not have to
raise
prices due to the costs she has to also pay in RL to continue her business, which have been rising all the time while she was charging about the same for her merchandise than she did a few years ago.

The entitlement of some people in SL has always amazed me with their
specious
arguments. 

Yep that's what I meant to say  Torrie, btw, is the person who thinks the prim bonus should benefit only tenants, and landowners not at all. Just like when I buy down four sims, there should be no benefit to me. 

One correction: Prices in SL, including mine, have been driven down significantly over the last 5-6 years, first by the freebie culture, then by the ability for non creators to open inexpensive mesh stores.

I could smell the stench of entitlement all the way on this side of my computer. :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are to funny. Pamela used to be the biggest hater of the Market place and everything LL now its like shes drank the punch next thing you know she'll be telling people on the tech post that's its not SL running bad must be their pc's. And as for the prim increase I still don't buy it the land owners did nothing to get those extra prims, the performance of the sim didn't go up, the land size didn't change all that happened was LL made the norm higher. Trust me nothing is free I give it year and the lab will be complaining its all our fault because of all the extra prims that the servers are running and they'll need more money to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<sniffs>

Not to discourage an aspiring student of my beliefs and opinions, but I remain as critical of the MP and LL as ever -- but I do believe in giving credit where due. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't understand your problem, or where you're coming from. I didn't know Pam's attitude towards LL and the marketplace, and I'm very surprised that they match my own. I can tell you that I've been against the marketplace since it's beginning, and that I wouldn't lift a finger to help LL. I've posted that many times. Nevertheless, when LL does something good, I say it, and increasing the prims is good. It's not as good as other pssoibilities concerning land would be, but nonetheless LL did something good.

But you seem to have a problem with the prims. You seem to think that LL increased the prims for SL users, but they didn't. They increased them for landowners. The increase is no concern of those who are not landowners. They are no concern of tenants, for instance.

You also seem to have a problem with private sims costing $100 less per month now (for those who bought down). You're thinking being that tenants should therefore pay less. If that's your thinking then you are wrong on two counts. One is that the reduction merely brings them into line with mainland landlords, so they aren't getting land any cheaper than mainland landlords, and they can now compete on a level playing field as far as cost is concerned. The other is that it cost the sim owner $600 to buy the tier down to that level. Did the tenants contribute equally to it? Of course not, so there is no reason why they should gain from it.

Both the prims and the tier are obvious and self-evident. That's why I don't understand your problem and where you are coming from. Perhaps you'd like to explain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

You seem to think that LL increased the prims for SL users, but they didn't. They increased them for landowners. The increase is no concern of those who are not landowners. They are no concern of tenants, for instance.

 

I agree. The prim bonus was given to landowners to do with as they please. Yet smart landlords, although not obligated to do so, will likely pass some of the prim bonus benefit along in order to remain competitive. It seems to me not as smart to either keep all the benefit, or to keep none of the benefit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:


Torrie Mint wrote:

Your Awesome :smileytongue:

My awesome what?

Too subtle.

The other point which is clearly beyond the comprehension of some is that giving extra prims to those who may not use them is like offering extra free minutes for my mobile phone.

I have only used about half the prim count on my homestead and giving me more didn't actually do anything whatsoever for me.  I'm not complaining either, just pointing out that unless you need and use each and every single available prim, slapping on another extra load "free" doesn't actually change the financial position for me whatsoever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...