Meeting your SL partner IRL

CharlesLDN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ina Fairport wrote:

Yes, many years ago I met my SL partner in RL.

It was a disappointing experience. There was no "click" in RL and the thrill was gone in SL.....

Which seems to be the usual experience afaik. When you take away the seduction of music, the fake avatars and the fake surroundings, not much is left.

SkillsFurrystorm wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

Yes, many years ago I met my SL partner in RL.

It was a disappointing experience. There was no "click" in RL and the thrill was gone in SL.....

Which seems to be the usual experience afaik. When you take away the seduction of music, the fake avatars and the fake surroundings, not much is left.

It has less to do with the avatar or the surroundings being "fake" (I would say virtual is the better word), but more with general effects of online dateing. Its not exclusive to Second Life, that couples that met online could not carry their closeness and feeling over to a real life situation. Its basically rooted in two things: 1. People behave differently online, than in real life (not intentionally) and 2. A real life situatuion has more communication going on than what a text or voice conversation can transfer online. Sitting infront of someone is hard to reconstruct.

The less someone knows for sure about their online partner, the more their idea of this person might collide with reality.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people have done it. I done with my ex was with 2 years traveling back and forth but we talked on voice and gated 3 months before ever meeting. But we also showed on facebook we meet with real photos of ud meeting and a photo on second lifel. We did get married on the game but it only lasted two years.  You have to be willing and truthful People that do want real want single not someone that hides and makes up stuff. if the person can't talk on voice or hides or allways has exuses there marired in real. I know every one has there came eat it two but people need to be truthful or just keep in sl be open with there real life person if there unhappy or just leave them. Be and honest or don't even commit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I know I am a wierdo

My Partner and I have been together a long time.

I have avoided knowing her RL name and therefore have never looked her up on FB

We have never met, although we talk for hours about almost everything and I miss her terribly when one or the other of us is offline for several days.

Maintaning a SL-only relationship -works- for us.

And I know way too many people who have "jumped to RL" and regretted it over the years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.