Sign in to follow this  
nellaflor

My avatar is still bad ... It's worse now. :(

Question

This may be the strangest problem I've seen in SL. It is probably something you wear that causes it but it is also possible there is some item in your surroundings that forces a deformer animation onto your avatar. When you say you have tried different avatars, have you changed everything?

Here is a very long-winded process to eliminate all possible causes:

• First, make sure you use the official Second Life Viewer, not Firestorm or any other third party viewer. It is possible somebody's playing some kind of RLV joke on you and the official viewer is the only one that is always immune to that.
  • Go to an empty water sim such as for example Carmichael: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Carmichael/89/157/2
  • Log off and then log on again.
  • Do you still get the deformation? If you do, it's caused by something you wear. If not, it's triggered by something in your house. Assuming it's caused by something you wear:
  • Type ctrl+alt+Q to bring up the "Develop" menu
  • In the Develop menu, select Avatar -> Character Tests -> Test Female. This will give you the one of the "cleanest" avatars you can have in SL. One of the ugliest too but don't worry, nobody will see you. ;)
  • This shouldn't be necessary but just to make absolutely sure, in the "Me" menu, choose "Appearance" and select the "Wearing" tab. This brings up a list of all the components of your avatar. The list for the Test Female avatar shuold have 11 items, one is named "Ponytail Brown Hair", the others have names starting with "Girl Next" or "GND".
  • Stand or walk around for a while to check that the problem doesn't occur with this avatar.
  • Once you are sure your avatar is clean, find your regular avatar and add the parts for it one by one until you have identified the cause.

I hope this helps. If not, let us know. You can't add a reply to this thread but you can edit your original post with new info.

• Like 5

3 answers to this question

This may be the strangest problem I've seen in SL. It is probably something you wear that causes it but it is also possible there is some item in your surroundings that forces a deformer animation onto your avatar. When you say you have tried different avatars, have you changed everything?

Here is a very long-winded process to eliminate all possible causes:

• First, make sure you use the official Second Life Viewer, not Firestorm or any other third party viewer. It is possible somebody's playing some kind of RLV joke on you and the official viewer is the only one that is always immune to that.
  • Go to an empty water sim such as for example Carmichael: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Carmichael/89/157/2
  • Log off and then log on again.
  • Do you still get the deformation? If you do, it's caused by something you wear. If not, it's triggered by something in your house. Assuming it's caused by something you wear:
  • Type ctrl+alt+Q to bring up the "Develop" menu
  • In the Develop menu, select Avatar -> Character Tests -> Test Female. This will give you the one of the "cleanest" avatars you can have in SL. One of the ugliest too but don't worry, nobody will see you. ;)
  • This shouldn't be necessary but just to make absolutely sure, in the "Me" menu, choose "Appearance" and select the "Wearing" tab. This brings up a list of all the components of your avatar. The list for the Test Female avatar shuold have 11 items, one is named "Ponytail Brown Hair", the others have names starting with "Girl Next" or "GND".
  • Stand or walk around for a while to check that the problem doesn't occur with this avatar.
  • Once you are sure your avatar is clean, find your regular avatar and add the parts for it one by one until you have identified the cause.

I hope this helps. If not, let us know. You can't add a reply to this thread but you can edit your original post with new info.

• Like 5

ChinRey's answer is mostly complete. A quick first step is to try Reset Skeleton. You'll find the command in the right-click menu of Bento capable viewers. Just right-click your avatar then left-click Reset Skeleton. 

If that doesn't work, follow Chin's steps.

• Like 4