Sign in to follow this  
bucky Barkley

Max out specs for photography...

[I'd posted this over at Kirsten's Viewer, but I want to reach a wider audience before I go order]

Hello, I am seeking to replace a 2006 Intel iMac. Obviously almost any desktop I buy these days is going to be an improvement.  I am thinking of:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=18

Although I would love to max out a new iMac, I am thinking that Windows 7, 64bit, is the way to go.

Some of the hardware specifics are:

1200 Watt Velocity Micro® Power Supply - Nvidia® SLI™ Certified (+$110.00)
EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s
Intel® Core™ i7 processor i7-960, quad 3.20GHz cores, 8MB Cache
6GB DDR3-1600MHz Triple Channel Premium Memory with Heat Spreader (3x2048) (+$35.00)
1536MB EVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 580 GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0, SLI ready (+$450.00)
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit w/ SP1 (+$80.00)

Specific questions: what to avoid? what to zero in on? I know the machine will be decent for machinima, but the primary goal is to get the best photography features from SL.

The power supply is massive f'ing over kill unless you plan on running tri SLI. The memory is over spec'd unless you plan on doing some serious over clocking. The CPU is a solid performer but over priced compared to the i7-2600K, unless you are going to do tri SLI, then you'll to need the x58 chip set (and the CPU that comes with it). Otherwise looks good.

Yep, there is a level of planning for the future in it - today's overkill becomes a nice sweet spot in a year.  I know I may start doing machinima as well.

here's the thing, that system would be a monster for the high end games out there right now... for SL, serious overkill.... anything that will run a high end game at all will get good-to-great for SL.

if price isn't a factor, go for it... the system has great survivability, and will last quite a while before replacement compared to other systems.

if you need to consider price, scale back every mentioned component two notches, as all of those thing are in the overpriced "high end" range.... and while you are at it make sure that you have at least RAID zero and a lot of disk space.... hard drive failures suck, twice as much when they take your only copy of something with them... and are more likely with longer lived systems.